HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a different 22LR conversion kit for the G3 rifle and the 91 rifle ?
What is the difference ?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Is there a different 22LR conversion kit for the G3 rifle and the 91 rifle ?
What is the difference ?
There are two different kits. The kit for the HK91 is much rarer and more expensive. It has an extension on the rear of the bolt carrier to prevent the carrier from going too far back and trapping the hammer when cocking the rifle. All you need to do to run the G3 conversion kit in a HK91 or 91 clone is to cut about a two inch long piece of rubber hose and install it over the rifles recoil spring. This will keep the bolt carrier from going to far back and trapping the hammer.

Here is a thread with some info:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/125103-22-cal-conversion-kit-g3-91-a.html

If you happen to be looking for one I have a G3 conversion kit in the for sale section.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-parts...wood-g3-stock-set-custom-wood-hk91-grips.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was in the market for one until I found out that you cannot cock it far enough to engage the notch. I wanted to run it like normal. Luckily I managed to get a training ammo kit and a couple K of blue ammo. It's still not as cheap as .22 but at least I have fireballs now and then.

I wish somebody would design a semi hammer with the notch relocated to hold it lower when cocked so there wouldn't be any problems with the G3 .22 kits. If you were real lazy you could just have it in another trigger pack.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a G3 kit for my SAR3. The issue of the charging is esy to mitigate, even without the rubber hose trick. You only have to retract the bolt far enough to charge a round into the chamber, so it's easy to only pull it back an inch or so.

On the why- it's one of the best accessories I have. The kit is VERY accurate, I can shoot one hole groups at 25 yards or so. I use a 5.56 suppressor on a QD AAC flash hider and it's the quietest suppressed gun I've ever heard, and cycles subs on semi reliably (at least Rem subs and Gemtech subs).

I've shot it with a friends sear and the cyclic rate is up in the 900 rpm range. Will empty the 20 round mag in just over 1 second.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of thousand 22lr through a 91 will teach you every thing you need to know about that trigger.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'll tell you why, loading those 20 round mags. When you have a sear, those little bastards are empty in three-quarters of a second...and there you are loading .22 lr into that mag agin.
It's BIGASSED DRUM MAG time!

Now we just need one on the market. One that works, too.

DDG

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I'll tell you why, loading those 20 round mags. When you have a sear, those little bastards are empty in three-quarters of a second...and there you are loading .22 lr into that mag agin.
LOL. The answer there is get more mags! I think I've got eight of the G3 .22 conversion mags and I've got four of the aftermarket version, that holds 25 rounds.

I only wish I could find more .22 conversion mags for my HK93 kit.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Stupid me. First SAR East and a dealer has a box of used factory G3 .22 mags. $40 each. I wasn't shooting the kit at the time. Two guys were spending way too much time trying to cherry pick 4 mags out of the box, so I walk away.

I bought a spare 93 kit mag on eBay many years ago. Cost a small fortune, but how many do you ever see for sale?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Speaking of .22 mags, anybody know where to buy extras?

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Stupid me. First SAR East and a dealer has a box of used factory G3 .22 mags. $40 each. I wasn't shooting the kit at the time. Two guys were spending way too much time trying to cherry pick 4 mags out of the box, so I walk away.

I bought a spare 93 kit mag on eBay many years ago. Cost a small fortune, but how many do you ever see for sale?
I have yet to see a 93 kit mag for sale separately. It's sort of a unicorn. I do wish that the same guys that made that G3 adapter would make an adapter for the HK93 and then we could run the Black Dog Uzi mags.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Man I would love to have this problem...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone tried this?

HK91 G3.22 ADAPTOR

Adapter works with BDM's 30 round Uzi .22 mags
I actually ordered that and a few mags and tried it out at the range yesterday with my 51 clone and a sear. For reference, I normally don't have any problems with the factory 20 round mags.

I had a lot of problems, lots of feeding issues of all different kinds, and the longest burst I got all day was about 10 rounds. I had trouble nailing down the problem, but I'm thinking that the mags don't always seat at a consistent height and it's causing the feeding issues.

I'm not done trying because I REALLY want it to work, a source of cheap 30 round mags would be fantastic.

One thing that sucks, is with a .308 sized gun, you can pretty much lose that little .22 round if it drops back into the receiver somewhere when clearing a stoppage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts