HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always liked the hk 91. Shot it a few times and had a blast. Unfortunately I can't afford one right now so I'm looking at what appears to be a good alternative and that the PTR 91. I'm sure some of you guys have experience with them. Is there anything I should know or look out for when buying one of these. I own a couple HK pistols but this will be the first rifle I've ever purchased. Date codes to watch out for? Reliability? Ammo selection? Any good places to find them at a good value?

Thanks for the insight.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Every question you asked has been answered here a thousand times. Use the search function so people who've answered them a thousand times don't have to do it a thousand and one times.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
PTR 91 GI Rifle $899 AtlanticFirearms.com

Good place to buy from, PTR has had their ups and downs over the years. I say go for it and yes this topic has been beat to death on this forum, just do a search on PTR91 GI (hours of reading)

I own three of their rifles and am generally pleased with them. Are they the same quality as the HK Rifle? No, but there close.

HDH.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Every question you asked has been answered here a thousand times. Use the search function so people who've answered them a thousand times don't have to do it a thousand and one times.
Yes, but here is in a nutshell. Look for a JLD built gun with a ser# above A0200. The newer PTR built guns over ser# AW1600 have all kings of problems which will take hours to read. Just search old threads. The earlier JLD guns after the first few hundred were trouble free. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
+1. I must agree with this again. I have 2 flawless running JLD 91k,s A5*** and A6*** ,shoot all the surplus i can find. Bolt gap has not budged. Super quality build/fit and finish as nice as HK factory.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
If you get a chance to look at one in person, check for how many times they did the rockwell hardness test on the bolt group, I got 2, one had 4 or 5 test marks on it (indicating it went back several times for more hardening) and it gave me lots of issues the other one (which had only 1 test mark) ran flawlessly.

What I would suggest also however is don't spend tons of time and money trying to make them ultimately accurate, I tried that and it was not worth the cost on the JLD / PTR ones.

The one I enjoyed the most and wound up keeping was the standard barrel with a muzzle break and the original german telescoping stock.

·
Registered
370 Posts
AVOID PTR serial numbers between AW0000 and AW 1600(appriximately, and WITH SOME exceptions).
Supposedly Anything over approx. AW8000 is ok, but you better look/ask someone for an EXACT number.
Supposedly GI's over GI0245 are OK, but mine is "aroung the top of that range and Trunnion is ok (approx. 900 rounds) but bolt gap WENT AWAY" until a new HK Bolt head assembly (inc. Locking Piece) was installed. Now it's fine (HOPEFULLY!!!)
Just search this site carefully (or entire internet, actually) for opinions and facts.
Having said that, I have owned 3, currently own 2, and am EXTREMELY happy with them. Just replace any US/PTR internals with REAL HK parts (be careful staying inside 922r rules!!) !!
MAY THE FORCE/LUCK BE WITH YOU

·
Registered
69 Posts
I spoke with a tech from PTR about 2 weeks ago. He told me the AW3000-AW8000 had tighter chambers & had problems feeding some surplus ammo. I have 2 PTR's that are AW12XX & AW16XX & they both run 100%. The new PTR line (not only the GI's but all of them) have HK spec chambers for reliable feeding. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a current production PTR.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.