HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok please help with this, what exactly does it do and, what do they cost. Sorry if this is a dumb question

:5:

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Ok please help with this, what exactly does it do and, what do they cost. Sorry if this is a dumb question

:5:
They'll sell in 5 minutes at $100, or in a few days at $150.

It's basically a device that when put on and removed, guarantees you will need to get the gun refinished to remove the deep scratches. :)

But its intended function is to give a softer cusion for the empty shell casings when it is ejected. Without one, the brass gets one or two fairly deep dents in the side, making the casings (almost) unuseable for reloading. The port buffer is intended to stop that damage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Port Buffers

I have port buffers on a 91 and a 51. I have them to keep ejected brass from beating the crap out of the receiver directly behind the ejection port, in addition to not denting the brass for re-use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the buffer you get one wide and shallow indentation on the case instead of the two sharp scary looking dents.
Also the brass will "only" fly to the next county, not the next state.

They also may help to save the finish on your rifle, except they may also badly scratch the rifle when putting on and taking off the buffer.
Apparently there is a secret "correct" method of how to put it on and take it off without f***ing up the finish but I am not privy to the details of this apparently alchemistic process.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So they scratch your rifle and they cost about $100.

Have I got it?

·
2,832 Posts
sums it up very well........:D

PB prices just went nuts this year, sware last year they were $50-60

heard someone mention using a thin sheet of plastic when installing, but didn't quite get the whole process.

Have I got it?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts

Have I got it?
I think so. Some people used a cutout section of a milk carton to prevent scratching. I'm sure there's a way to not scratch it if you ever remove it, but the general consensus is that once you put it on, you never take it off. So the scratches are not visible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts