HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,734 Posts
It states “It has a 18" barrel, fixed stock and according to the date code IC it was made pre-ban 1982 (assault weapons ban of 1989).” and you construed “100% pre-pan”…. Really? Under $4,000 it does not matter if the hand guard doesn’t match.

Reactions: DrDoom

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It states “It has a 18" barrel, fixed stock and according to the date code IC it was made pre-ban 1982 (assault weapons ban of 1989).” and you construed “100% pre-pan”…. Really? Under $4,000 it does not matter if the hand guard doesn’t match.
If there are components on it that aren't part of the original firearm, then I would want to know about it, assuming the seller is aware of them. If I sold my 91, I would try to be as complete in my description as possible. I'm also curious about these rifles and their differing configurations, so if I ever do sell mine, I can get some idea as to what people are willing to pay.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I think it's a Bell and Carlson forearm. My SR9 came with one back in 1994.

Reactions: DrDoom

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's a Bell and Carlson forearm. My SR9 came with one back in 1994.
Thanks to your post, I was able to find an informative thread on here from six years ago that talks about the Bell and Carlson stocks and forearms on the SR9's. Learn something everyday.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Interesting, something I didn't pay attention to if I saw it back in the day.

WRT the auction (and buying used guns in general)
40 year old gun, nothing says all original.
I'm not sure "Gorgeous NR" really means anything.
Also from the description:
"I have not had time to shot this one personally", "We do not teardown or clean the firearm after we buy, just a basic visual inspection is done. IF we shot the firearm we do a basic cleaning with NO disassembly "

So if they aren't admitting to doing a basic field strip to clean it even if they shoot it chances are they didn't bother before they purchased it either. Based on experience I'd guess the dealer paid between 15% and 40% of the book value for a condition listed a step or three lower than the gun would rate in the first place and using a copy of the Blue Book that's a print or two out of date. Even if they dinged the seller on the forend being 'weird' they aren't going to bother to explicitly tell you that and if anyone brings it up they'll say the photos clearly show the shape and type of forend. They probably didn't measure the bolt gap, might not know the significance and even if they do they probably don't care.

Like everything else the buyer is expected to know what he's buying and sometimes even your 'friends' can't be trusted to tell you if there's any issues you should know about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts