HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an II saco import 91 that I am considering converting to 51. I really have no clue as to the logistics involved save, obtaining a form 1 prior to the actual conversion.

Here are a few questions:
1) Who (to do the job)
2) Parts (i will need)
3) Cost (turnkey) & time of turnaround.
4) Resulting loss of accuracy? 1 in 12 twist shorty...

Any other feedback you can give me as to how you feel about your conversion. I have considered just buying a vector 51 p and sbr'ing it. Total cost w/ tax stamp around 1k... Need some help here guys!

Thanks

HKH

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
My $.02 on converting a 91 to a 51.

The only part you may need is a #18 locking piece that is frequently used on the G3k. You can usually get them from Gordon Miller for about $100.00 + or - a few dollars.

I would venture over to RDTS website to check out their 51Imp information.

www.rdts.com

They have a very detailed analysis of the various ways to make a Hk51 and the potential shortcommings of such systems.

Keep in mind that you will be taking a German gun and have it made into a US Class II creation as no Hk51 exists in the German world of Hk. Its your gun obviously so you will do what you want. If I were in the market to build a class III SBR 51 I would utilize a JLD receiver and a FMP or German G3 kit. From what I have learned on this board once you make a NFA SBR the 10 parts rule does not apply, consequently eliminating the need for US parts.

I do not know what they charge for this service, or their turn around time. I am sure others here will be more knowledgeable in that regard.

Jayson Cotter is also said to build Hk51s. There is at least one board member who had posted some very nice pictures of his IGF built 51. He seemed very happy with it. I own an IGF G3k that runs 100% with all surplus that I have run through it. Jayson built this for me in about four months for about $900.00 (I can't remember what it cost exactly as it was over two years ago.)

Whichever way you go IMO a custom built Hk clone always runs better than a production clone. Although it will probably cost more than the Vector Arms V51.

·
Registered
390 Posts
IGF just finished my 51 pistol & it should be back to me within a week. I will post photos & a range report as soon as I can. The IGF/RDTS improved style 51 is the best design in my opinion since the bolt carrier & recoil rod are barly cut down compared to other 51 conversions which results in better feeding of a full mag & a slower cyclic rate on full auto. As far as parts go you only really need a 53 or 94 forearm & maybe a #18 locking piece but I do not think the locking piece is always needed. A hk21 cocking handle & a mag flapper release are also nice additions but not needed. If I was going to build a 51 out of a real HK91 I would try to find a used beat up one for around $1600.00 because there is no need to use a nice 91 since it will be chopped up & refinished anyways. I used a new FMP parts kit & a new JLD reciever for my build & registered it as a pistol since it will be a sear host anyways plus I do not feel as bad when I abuse the weapon. Built time for my 51 was around 3 1/2 months which I was quoted 4 months for. As far as the Vector 51,s go I have never shot one but I did notice they grind their locking piece all the way down untill there is no ledge on it which does not seen right to me but seems to work fine.

IGF 51 build and Refinish $825
JLD reciever $200 to $250
G3 parts kit $200 to $300

·
Registered
422 Posts
If I was going to build a 51 out of a real HK91 I would try to find a used beat up one for around $1600.00 because there is no need to use a nice 91 since it will be chopped up & refinished anyways.

That is what I paid for my HK91 that I had IGF build into a HK51. This was a few years ago though, I have never looked back. I would also reccomend you find a beat up HK91 not a good quality one.

It is a very fun gun, but to heavy for my liking. The HK53 weight feels alot better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HK 51

I had RDTS convert a 2nd HK91 to a 51IMP SBR for me. Gun is excellent ( I do not touch clones). Read all the material I could find before making decision on who. Cost $1525 (this included finishing and sizing a separate A3 stock to match gun/with an A2 stock & install paddle mag release). I knew Ralph took a long time, but little did I expect it to go 2 years. If I did it again I think I would go IGF especially since they're in-state and about 1-1/2 hours away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need a V51 pistol clone (HK51?). Would this be possible w/ a PTR rifle? I plan on SBRing, but for now the pistol will do. Thanks for any ideas.:13:

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I need a V51 pistol clone (HK51?). Would this be possible w/ a PTR rifle? I plan on SBRing, but for now the pistol will do. Thanks for any ideas.:13:
Sweet, another Lazarus thread. :D

Not with a PTR rifle , no. You have to get one that was initially papered as a pistol. Once a rifle, always a rifle. As long as it has an over 16" barrel, you can put a stock on a pistol and shoot it as a rifle, then go back to a short barrel as long as you take the stock off. Also, for it to be sold as a rifle, it will have to have a longer than 16" barrel, and you can't just swap barrels out on an HK like you can on an AR.

What you'd need is a PTR pistol, but I don't think PTR makes pistols.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Vector Arms V-51

I am in the process of purchasing a Vector Clone V-51 SBR....Its had about 300 rounds through it and a re-conditioned HK collapable stock on it. Cost $1200 plus tax stamp. I noticed on it a serial number of low 700s, I wonder just how many were actually made. And, for that matter the Vector Arms 53...I have one with a serial number in the 900s. Now that they are not in business and with the new admin. taking office in a few weeks ...I think sources for future HK style so called assualt weapons are not likely to be available. Opinions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts