HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the good fortune to acquire a pre-ban HK 91 that appears to have never been fired. I've taken it apart and used a synthetic, teflon enhanced grease to lightly lubricate all moving parts. Been to the range twice breaking in the gun, and am very happy with this rifle. HOWEVER, the trigger is downright awful, and makes accuracy very difficult. I also have a Rock River LAR 8 which will easily shoot 3" groups at 400 yards for comparison.

Any suggestions on who, where, and what to do to lighten, and smooth out the trigger pull?

My second question is based on what to feed it? I reload and have an adequate supply of good 308 projectiles across the spectrum of weights, and have a good choice of powders. For my other 308s, I've had good success with 175 grain bullets for stable, long range accuracy.

Thanks. I'd really appreciate any comments that you folks might have for me in order to make this rifle one of my best.

Oldfudd

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Springfield trigger and it was alright but I switched over to a full psg1 trigger pack and it’s was so worth it. As for what grain, mine likes 168gr fggm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
WTS set trigger and 168’s really worked well. Williams’s trigger service

·
Priest of the P7
5,379 Posts
Supposedly, Timney is working on a HK91 trigger.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Anything over 168gr will not time properly with your 17" barrel...it will start to unlock before the bullet clears the barrel. Not good.

168 GMM might group nicely, but a lot of it's power is lost as the powder is still burning when clearing the muzzle.

Any load under 140 gr will not usually function it properly, either.

Comfort yourself with standard NATO 7.62X51 M80 load from any reputable factory, like Winchester, MEN, Hirtenburg, S&B, eTc. That is what it was engineered to shoot. If you HAVE to have new factory ammo, try any of the 150 or 155gr fodder available nowadays.

Stay away from cheap steel case stuff in your 91, it is not worth what occasionally happens in a $3K gun.

As far as triggers are concerned, aftermarket from Bill Springfield or Denny Williams is a step step up. A real PSG-1 group is the ne plus ultra answer, but is very pricey.

Conelrad

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I got my first HK, a used HK-41 back in 1977 and since then when shooting a military rifle I judge the trigger by one standard: Is it better or worse than an HK-91? So far I’ve found only FS2000’s and 1st Generation Tavor 5,56 bullpups have triggers as bad as HK-91’s. With the standard trigger shooting an HK-91 is kinda like driving a muscle car with four flat tires. You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to get accuracy out of a 91’ that has a light trigger pull. As others have said the PSG-1 trigger pack is the way to go and while they’ve kinda scarce I wouldn’t stop beating the bushes till I found one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
(SNIP)
Comfort yourself with standard NATO 7.62X51 M80 load from any reputable factory, like Winchester, MEN, Hirtenburg, S&B, eTc. That is what it was engineered to shoot. If you HAVE to have new factory ammo, try any of the 150 or 155gr fodder available nowadays.

Stay away from cheap steel case stuff in your 91, it is not worth what occasionally happens in a $3K gun.

As far as triggers are concerned, aftermarket from Bill Springfield or Denny Williams is a step step up. A real PSG-1 group is the ne plus ultra answer, but is very pricey.

Conelrad
Seeing as how the HK91 has a 7.62 NATO-spec chamber, unlike the PTRs .308-spec chamber, I would also say you are best with actual 7.62 x 51 NATO ammo over .308. Running .308 in a 7.62 chamber can cause problems, and I don't think you want to risk it in a rifle as valuable as your 91.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
129 Posts
A psg1 trigger ,I understand, will not work with a 22 caliber kit. The WTS set trigger is excellent. The oem trigger worked for a military rifles actual use at shorter distances and never fails to work. WTS mentioned that the front sights pillar is the width of a torso at 75 meters. I had mine EDM narrowed by one third. Works better at longer distances On iron sights. Does not cover up the target. Good advise from WTS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm staggered by the amount of information that you folks have given me. Thank you so much. I'll try to process all this as I learn "HK" jargon. This is the first HK I've ever owned, and will try to become more conversant as I learn. Thank you all again for your comments. This is a great forum !!!

Re reloading, I'm lucky to have a lot of 7.62 x 51 Lake City NATO brass. I'll also stay in the 150 - 168 weight ranges. Is it prudent to use the harder "military" primers LR as well?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I'm staggered by the amount of information that you folks have given me. Thank you so much. I'll try to process all this as I learn "HK" jargon. This is the first HK I've ever owned, and will try to become more conversant as I learn. Thank you all again for your comments. This is a great forum !!!

Re reloading, I'm lucky to have a lot of 7.62 x 51 Lake City NATO brass. I'll also stay in the 150 - 168 weight ranges. Is it prudent to use the harder "military" primers LR as well?
If you plan on only shooting your reloads in military rifles such as your HK-91 I’d say ”yeah”, go with the harder primers. Bear in mind if you have other .308 Winchester long guns some civilian/sporting rifles can be finicky and unreliable with hard primers. Fr’instance when I was stationed in Germany a buddy of mine bought one of the much vaunted Steyr Scout Rifles at the post Rod & Gun Club. He had a near limitless supply of military 7.62 MM NATO ammo to shoot thru it via connections in Tier 2 unit down the road. Well, his Steyr would only detonate maybe one outa ten cartridges on the first strike which after a while gave him a bad case of flinching…..

PS-If you plan to reload get yourself a case deflector…

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
I had Bill Springfield do my HK 91 trigger . He cleans up the creep a lot and it crisply breaks around 5 #'s give or take . I also had a scope ( 1 x 6 ? ) that was made for the 91, an old German one that was ok . Unless you're going to put a German optic on it I wouldn't waste my money on a PSG type trigger . I say German optic made for the HK because the HK 91 can destroy a scope . That big ass Bolt assembly is going back into battery with about as much force that it puts on your shoulder .
" An air rifle scope is special because it can withstand the unique vibration and double recoil of an air rifle. NEVER PUT A FIREARM SCOPE ON AN AIR RIFLE. "
I'm not saying all scopes will fail on a 91 . I shot the irons about as well as the scope , between 1 and 2 minutes at 100 yds .

Enjoy that thing !

P.S. When you take it to the range get as far right on the range, as you can . The cases go about 30 yards between 2 and 3:00 . :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Water is wet.
The sky is blue.
HK-91 trigger is terrible.

Redundant statements...
You just created the first HK haiku. Well done sir.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ShootingSight's Heckfire trigger is a complete drop-in that is a 2-stage trigger. All components are CNC machined for tool steel, nothing is molded or stamped. Sear surfaces are all NiB coated. It is (if I do say so myself) the best trigger out there.

HECKFIRE Trigger

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
WTS set trigger and 168’s really worked well. Williams’s trigger service
I understood Williams Trigger Specialties was no longer in business. His website link came up as dead. Back in the stone age I sent a HK-91 trigger assembly to him for a standard trigger job and he did such good work I couldn’t shoot a regular trigger ever again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts