HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this and was wondering since I'm new to long guns what I need to look for and what questions should I ask. His asking price is $1400. HECKLER & KOCH HK91 308 PRE-BAN*

Here's an extremely nice Pre-Ban Heckler & Koch HK91 semi-automatic rifle. Chambered for the .308 Winchester, this rifle features a robust roller-delayed blowback system of operation that is extremely reliable and problem free. It is not ammunition sensitive and will function with heavy or light loads. It has the optional factory carry handle and ejection port buffer already installed. This rifle is in excellent, as new condition and appears unfired. It retains nearly all of the original finish with just a couple of minor marks at the edge of the mag well where the magazine stops contact the rifle when inserted. There is absolutely no rust or any pitting, nor are there any "claw marks" from ever having had a scope mount attached. The black synthetic stocks are in excellent condition as well, free of any wear. The mechanics appear to be in perfect working order and the bore is excellent! The "IB" code on the receiver indicates 1981 production. It comes in the original HK box (box shows some wear) and comes with two 20-round magazines, mag loader, factory leather sling, sight adjustment tool, and owner's manual.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That sounds to good to be true you need to jump on that now if this is a real deal. 1981 is the most common year for this gun. If you don't buy it PM me the info on it so I can.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
That is a total steal! Check the bolt gap and bore, the rest should be fine if those are. I always look for dimples in the rear of the rail indentations (where the A3 stock rails would slide) because when they exist, it is a clear indication of a bolt gap issue that exists or existed. From what you describe, I would be surprised if you had any issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's real then it's a steal. You can turn around and double your money quick. Then, buy a PTR-91, mags, ammo and nice scope. Just make sure it's real.

Sent via smoke signal. Carrier pigeon on windy days.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I'd say if you can't do an in-person deal on this than I would not buy. The price is easily $1000 or more under fair market, and that should set off lots of warning bells.

I hope it works out for you, but this one smells funny from over here.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smells fishy here to. Oh well, for those that have a 91 what makes them a great 308. Are you collecting them or shooting them. I am looking for stuff to shoot, thought I might try the 308 round if someone has both a 91 and a mr762 what do like and dislike about each. If had to do over and could only get one which would you choose with the mind set the 91 are still in production and same price tag both nib.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Technically it's not .308, it's 7.62 NATO.. of course you can also shoot .308 in it

Be careful and demand a return ability with a 3 day inspection factor.. check bolt gap as already recommended, also bore condition/erosion factors

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Because the serial number is hidden. Noting is abnormal there.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
They are all spec-wise 7.62 NATO; however, they were marked both ways. I'll have to check mine, I can remember their markings.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Look for a gap of .015 to .020 for a low mileage HK roller lock

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
For $1400 if the barrel is clean and the internals are still HK, one could afford a replacement set of rollers ... just make sure is actually an HK. Had one of the guys try to talk me into the going price was $600 but he was trying to buy one of my HK91s and was pricing against well used clones.

Figured could get nearly the $600 by cutting up the HK91 and selling as a parts kit, so told him was going the parts kit route, most likely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So, what is the difference between the "Kal. .308" and the “Cal. .308” and why would the “Kal. .308” be stamped on the “Made in Germany” side and “Cal. .308” be stamped on the “HK91” side? And also, why would the “Kal. .308” be cooler? Is it because it was an early import? Just trying to figure this out because I have seen many different variations in these stampings on what appears to be the same rifle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts