HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a HK 93 bolt carrier off of GB last week. It came in the mail today, but something seems incorrect. The bolt carrier has a half circle protrusion, that sticks out of the right side, of the rear of the carrier, approx. 5/8 of an inch. So instead of the carrier being flat on the rear, it has this. I do not know what it is. I have compared it to any photos I could find of HK 93 bolt carriers,along with my own, and none I could see have this. I tried to attatch photos, I hope they are there. This was an expensive part, so I am really in need of some info. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its a buffered carrier. The projection is the buffer, there were two different types of carrier, but as far as I know they can be interchanged without worry, as long as you dont go from buffered to non buffered.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as I don't go from buffered to non buffered what? I really do not know what the difference is? What are the advantages/disadvantages to the buffered carrier?

·
Registered
21 Posts
you might want to wait for one of the gurus to reply but I'll make an attemt at it. The non buffered carriers were used with a buffer in the stock like a G3. The buffered carrier model used a stock similar to an MP5 with just a solid plate instead of the buffer that went into the stock. You should be able to use the carrier you got off GB with either style stock without issue

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I purchased a HK 93 bolt carrier off of GB last week. It came in the mail today, but something seems incorrect. The bolt carrier has a half circle protrusion, that sticks out of the right side, of the rear of the carrier, approx. 5/8 of an inch. So instead of the carrier being flat on the rear, it has this. I do not know what it is. I have compared it to any photos I could find of HK 93 bolt carriers,along with my own, and none I could see have this. I tried to attatch photos, I hope they are there. This was an expensive part, so I am really in need of some info. Thanks.
From your description, you received a .223 carrier. Aside from being full-auto or semi-auto, there are two types; the older buffered carrier and the newer non-buffered carrier. Below is the A2 stock for the buffered carrier. You can see the half-moon imprint of the carrier buffer in the plastic pad attached to the backplate of the stock. It is very similar in appearance to the 9mm plastic A2 stock, but this one is for the .223.

The buffer in the carrier is removable if your intent is to use it with a buffered stock, but I don't believe the two buffers would ever contact each other if left in place. The only time you will damage the gun is if you use a non-buffered carrier with a non-buffered stock.

Best,

TC

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I now have 2 carriers, one buffered, and one not. I also have two stocks, a retractable A3, the kind that is convex, rather than the newer concave models, and a fixed stock, that I know is buffered, only because it said so in the description when I bought it. I do not know if the A3 is buffered, or how to tell. Or for that matter, whether or not it maters now, with what I am learning. Maybe my description of the A3 being convex,(awkward/uncomfortable), will let someone know if it is buffered or not. But am I correct that since my fixed stock is buffered, that it is ok to use with buffered carrier. Two bufferes does not sound right, but I am the one who does'nt know here. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
You can use the buffered carrier with any stock made to fit the 33/93. The non buffered carrier is picky, needs a buffer in the stock.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I also have two stocks, a retractable A3, the kind that is convex, rather than the newer concave models, and a fixed stock, that I know is buffered, only because it said so in the description when I bought it. I do not know if the A3 is buffered, or how to tell.
The A2 stocks with the metal backplate came with the buffer inside. The older convex A3's came in both configurations and you will just have to look at the inside of the backplate to confirm. If the surface is flat with a hole in the center, then it does not have the buffer. If the A3 is buffered, the buffer will be sticking out of the center of the backplate towards the receiver.

If you can post pics it will make it easier to answer all of your questions.

Below is a picture from an lB HK93A2. This is a buffered A2 stock and non-buffered carrier:

Best,

TC

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok. I think I understand now, and I was alarmed for no reason. Thought I was stuck w/ a $200.00 paper weight. Just for my own education, two questions. Do any of you know why HK switched from buffered to non buffered,and is the buffered type considered undesirable? Next,my A3 stock, the older convex kind, is not flat inside, like Turbo Com is descibing, it has a small diameter round protrusion, approx. 1/4-5/16 in diameter,3/8 lenght, which is hollow, and when assembled, would be facing the receiver/trigger group. So is this the buffered type? If anyone has a photo of this type of buffered, older convex A3, that they could point me to, so I can be sure, I will sleep tonite. Thanks. Hopefully I will soon figure out how to post a photo.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Next,my A3 stock, the older convex kind, is not flat inside, like Turbo Com is descibing, it has a small diameter round protrusion, approx. 1/4-5/16 in diameter,3/8 lenght, which is hollow, and when assembled, would be facing the receiver/trigger group. So is this the buffered type? If anyone has a photo of this type of buffered, older convex A3, that they could point me to, so I can be sure, I will sleep tonite. Thanks. Hopefully I will soon figure out how to post a photo.
You can go to bed and sleep well. Sounds like you have the buffered stock.

In the picture below - non-buffered on the left and buffered on the right. The stock on the left is the older A3 and the one on the right is the newer version, but the buffer should look similar. You won't beable to move the buffer with fingertip pressure.

Best,

TC

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The second best (i.e. smoothest) light weight "223" full auto rifles I have every fired is my 33K running with a buffered stock and buffered carrier, first was friends Polish Tantal 5.45x39. Both were smoother than the HK53s (the K's might be similar but with a 5" barrel are really pistol round class ;-) and excludes near 20 pound light machine guns such as the MM23e and M16 LMG :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Double buffered guns are a lot sweeter to shoot, speaking from experience having an HK with a stock buffer only and a Century with the bolt carrier buffer and an added stock buffer. I have read that using both buffers can damage a gun, but I have not seen this as being true, but I am using cut down HK91 stocks with the rod attached to the stock. You can shoot an HK with no buffer, but expect some impact when you do so, comparable to shooting a goverment modle in 45ACP and then shooting one in 10mm, you FEEL the impact from the 10. After about 20 rounds I decided I did not like shooting without a buffer, but I saw no damage.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
NOW I have a question... if I buy one of the 33 Apex kits, what A3 stock do I need? IE what carrier do the Apex kits have, if there's any standard answer that is..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts