HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this problem? A lot of the ejected cases from my 93 have a pretty good dent in the center of the case. Trying to figure out why and what to do to prevent this from happening as I want to be able to reload them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
That’s how the 7.62 and 5.56 roller locked HKs are designed to work. They are designed for the cases to be deflected forward by bouncing off the rear of the ejection port. HK used to sell an ejection port buffer that attached a hard rubber deflector over the rear of the port, but it was held on by clamping over the top of the receiver, and would scratch up the finish. Don’t know if that’s still out there.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you take that dent and align it with the flange on the rear of the ejection port you might notice they match. If you care to attempt to reload and that dent is an issue that is what the port buffer was created to avoid occurring. Down side to clipping one of those on your rifle is the tendency to scratch the finish putting them on and taking them off. Some try putting tape on them to keep them from scratching. Others just prefer dented cases to scratched finish of the port buffer. You will notice over time the casings leaving brass wear and wearing on the finish there. And as said before, not uncommon, just a side effect of the robust ejection on these rifles. You could disassemble the lower from the upper and check your ejector condition and height to make sure they are good and I would definitely check your bolt gap just to be sure it is within spec. If the gap is too far off or it has a worn locking peice (or wrong one for your rifle) your rollers could be unlocking too early. If you suspect that (hard recoil is another sign) check the rear of your bolt carrier channels on the receiever just in front of the backplate for roller dents. You would see bulges starting from the excessive force of the carrier travelling rearward and hitting the buffer. The force can cause the bolt to try to continue rearward forcing the rollers into the rails. If your gap is good and the correct locking peice and no aforementioned damage then you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
As others have stated... Normal. The HK steel 91 case deflector can be cut down for use on a 93. Also, while hard to come by now, there used to be a polymer aftermarket version that wouldn't gouge your receiver when putting it on and taking it off. Good luck in your pursuit.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I reload but when dealing with semi rifles the brass has a limited and finite life cycle.

If the rim is bent or torn, if the casemouth is creased or if the case is folded in half by an HK ejection port or there's evidence of thinning just above the case head inside the case then the brass goes in the dead brass bin for recycling.

Remember brass is a consumable.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
@gulfstategaurd is absolutely correct. While it is normal for a roller lock to beat up brass, it has been my observation that the better a gun is running the less it beats up the brass. In addition to what was mentioned you can try a #8 locking piece. They are relatively cheap and easy to find. These are battle rifles with over function built in for dirty environments. The #8 should slow down and smooth out the gun a little.

·
HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
1,260 Posts
I've been reloading for my HK91s & 93s since the mid 80s and tend to back off the powder charge by several grains to make for enjoyable shooting that doesn't beat the crap out of the brass like factory loads do; surprisingly the brass is very reloadable. Yes they tend to get some minor dents, but the rims don't get bent or torn like some factory ammo that I've shot. Bang, the previous dent is gone and a new dent appears somewhere else. HK91 doesn't crimp the primer in each time like it does with the strange design on the face of the HK93 bolt head. Exactly what purpose does this serve anyway where the outside rim of .223/5.56 brass doesn't even touch the face of the bolt? Anyone?

·
Registered
106 Posts
As others have stated... Normal. The HK steel 91 case deflector can be cut down for use on a 93. Also, while hard to come by now, there used to be a polymer aftermarket version that wouldn't gouge your receiver when putting it on and taking it off. Good luck in your pursuit.
I have a cut down 91 buffer on my 93 and it works great. Hate to see what my finish is going to look like if I ever need to take it off. :oops:

rambo

·
Registered
380 Posts
You can have dented brass or a scratched up receiver… your choice.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Has anyone experienced this problem? A lot of the ejected cases from my 93 have a pretty good dent in the center of the case. Trying to figure out why and what to do to prevent this from happening as I want to be able to reload them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 298747
I've also reloaded those cases with no problems. Full length case sizing sometimes helps bring some of the dent out but not by much. I usually reduce my powder charge to account for the smaller case capacity caused by the dent and not wanting to go over pressure, although I suspect the HK can take it. I'm not a 1/2 MOA shooter and can't say I've had any accuracy degradation or noticible POI shift in my groups when shooting previously dented reloads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm,Try putting tape on them to keep them from scratching. Others just prefer dented cases to scratched finish of the port buffer..

3 Posts
Mine did too - except where it consistently dinged was the case mouth.
As others have more or less added: it is a battle rifle, and the brass, once fired, is simply to be smacked outta there, make way, bye-bye (and if the door hits ya on the way out, well, how 'bout that.) A notion of reloading the brass is no more in the foreground than is the idea of collecting grenade fragments for recycling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had my 93 since '87, never had an issue reloading those cases. Out of curiosity, I tracked a lot of 20, and got 7 reloads out of most before the case mouths started splitting.
So, overall, it's a non issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a Turk 93 (more or less, some minor differences so don't tear me up over it, not a T50 though) and it's actually pretty soft on the brass compared to other roller guns I have.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have a CETME L and comments on what they do to brass?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts