HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 94 stainless barrel with the date code IH and lot number 5N.
I cannot however see any proof marks. Does anyone know if HK ever made a stainless 94 barrel? Or, if any legitimate barrel maker ever offered one for sale?
Thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
never heard of a 94 stainless barrel. The IH and 5N numbers are right for a German barrel. It may of been refinished at some point covering the proofs if they were etched. I would tend to say it's a standard 94 CHF steel barrel. Only stainless MP5 barrels are far as I know are SW/TB products

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thats disappointing. I was hoping it was super rare. I was also hoping it was German HK made and wanted to put it on an MP5. Oh well.
Maybe will still do it, but on a clone receiver not a 94.
SWolff..... Any idea if they were good barrels or not?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
t dog - put some cold blue on it (I am 99.9% certain I know of this barrel since it was offered to me). Like AGG noted it could be just bead blasted in the white.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Well, thats disappointing. I was hoping it was super rare. I was also hoping it was German HK made and wanted to put it on an MP5. Oh well.
Maybe will still do it, but on a clone receiver not a 94.
SWolff..... Any idea if they were good barrels or not?
The proof marks indicate it is German. No manufacturer has gone to the lengths to forge H&K proofmarks on production barrels. Sure someone could possibly of had it done before assembly by an engraver, but its an awfully long way to go for some letters and numbers when German parts are readily available. It is very likely German. It may of been blasted giving it a polished/stainless look. The blasting would also remove the nitro eagle and other etched proof marks from the factory. I have seen some SR9 barrels that have that bright blasted finish.

The 9mm Stainless barrels that SW made were pretty decent. Most people wouldn't know the difference shooting the gun if you didn't tell them. I however do prefer CHF Nitrided steel barrels. Nitride makes the steel very hard and CHF will hold together in the event of a squib load being struck by another round since I do shoot my guns in FA with a sear pack. Stainless is more likely to fracture and splinter and I dont want that exploding into my hand. CHF steel on a 9mm will bulge and be pretty much useless from there on out but should not rupture. Pictures will also go a long way

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are two pictures. I tried to take a picture inside the barrel and it was so shiny that it looked like a mirror.
IMG_9076.JPG IMG_9077.JPG

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That barrel is not bead blasted after seeing the pics. If it is steel, it may have been chemically stripped. If stainless, It may be an aftermarket barrel that someone had made and then stamped it to look like a factory barrel. Ive seen that before in the AK47 clone world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts