HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wanted to get the forums opinion on the value of my HK-94 given a couple of changes. I realize SN & condition have alot to do with it. I am considering having AWC thread the barrel. Do I shorten it to standard MP5 length thereby making it an SBR but harder to transfer? Or just have them thread the existing 16" barrel, then I can sell it easier if I ever wanted to.....
which way improves the value (if any). thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I don't realistically see threading the 16in bbl doing anything but hurting the value. Likely the person who would buy it with the barrel modified in such a manner would not be collecting it, so would probably SBR it themselves.

A quality job done to SBR it might slightly increase the value but would most likely never recoup your totally investment with labor and stamp cost.

So as I see it, SBR you probably at a push financially if you were to have to part with it later.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. There are a couple of smiths that can thread the barrel and add a 3-lug device to convert your 16" 94 barrel to HK 3-lug specs. I would tape the can on the end of the 16" barrel. That will give you some idea how muzzle heavy your 94 would be with the can mounted on a 16" barrel. I've got a Vollmer converted 94 (3-lug Navy barrel, paddle mag, and welded up semi auto carrier machined to full auto specs) and I find it muzzle heavy with a can. A can on the end of a 16" barrel will be very muzzle heavy IMHO. I have a 7.62 can. I tend to shoot off hand. I don't shoot the 16" barrel with the can. I took the flash hider mount off because I never shot it.

If you are going to shorten the barrel, I'd get the paddle mag and the gun refinished. A quality conversion should be worth around $5,000 +/-. So $400 in tax to transfer your SBR out of state is a small consideration to someone interested in a converted 94. Plus the MP5 sized gun is more fun to shoot than a 16" 94, IMHO. I would also consider getting a 3-lug mount for the can. The SWR HEMS II I have for my Mark 23 is thread mounted. It loosens up during every 12 rd mag I put through it. Eventually it gets tight. If I don't remove it when it is warm, I have to shoot several mags to warm it up enough to get the can off by hand. I've got a couple of 3-lug cans. I never worry that the can will shoot loose or cross threading them. Good luck with your HK94/can project.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts