HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of going to an HK carry gun. I currently carry a Kahr MK40 which is nice and compact, but low capacity and heavy as a brick. Since I shoot a USP45 in competition regularly I'd like to go to the same control system in my carry gun, while at the same time shedding some weight. A bump in overall size I can live with. So my requirements are:

- decock/safety lever to allow cocked and locked carry
- standardized rail
- 9mm or .40

I'm not up to speed on the various HK models and their availability and was hoping someone here would have a suggestion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
USP C .40

you may want to look in to the USP C .40, get flat baseplates and you are on. I moved up to the .45 C felt that the .40 had a bit too much snap. I am giving up 4 rounds with the hicap but a more stable platform for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
new carry gun

not familiar with the mk40, I tried several for the right fill and ended up with a p2000 9mm, talked the place down to 750 out the door with a box of 50 rounds, the gun weighs 1.5 lbs not bad, I don't know if I'll carry it IWB thou, maybe on belt holster in winter,I have a s+w 642 for carry IWB works really nice, price on 9mm ammo is good 40 is not bad either, just figured 9 should do the job.:14:

R58

·
Registered
97 Posts
I chose a used P7 for my CCW. Its not cocked and locked but you just squeeze to cock. That's just as good in my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm thinking of going to an HK carry gun. I currently carry a Kahr MK40 which is nice and compact, but low capacity and heavy as a brick. Since I shoot a USP45 in competition regularly I'd like to go to the same control system in my carry gun, while at the same time shedding some weight. A bump in overall size I can live with. So my requirements are:

- standardized rail
- 9mm or .40

I'm not up to speed on the various HK models and their availability and was hoping someone here would have a suggestion.
If you are used to the feel of the USP full size for competition, I would go with the USP-C .40. I had one and sold it because I settled on the USP-C .45 as my carry gun. But I will say that .40 was THE most difficult gun sale I have ever made, because the slightly smaller grip and shorter slide length makes the .40 feel "just right". I found the recoil of the .40 to be very manageable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The USP Compact would be perfect, but I want to avoid the proprietary rail. Don't the new HKs (2000, some others) have the pic rail and the other features I'm looking for?

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
If you are using the USPf 45 or full size, Then I would simply consider the USPc 45 (compact) in the same configuration you already have trigger wise. You should notice a difference in weight between the Karr and the USPC45. TJ

·
Registered
221 Posts
i would go uspc40. in a ctac or the new mtac. when i can carry that's how i do it (don't ask NY laws...).

my boss wants to get a mk40 or the pk40 for edc. i'm trying to push him to the p2ksk40, a sig or a beretta 9000 but he's pretty set on a glock 26? or kahr 40.

ahh well, not everyone is cut out to own a HK...

as far as the rail goes. the p2k is standardized IIRC, and here's what my uspc looks like with GG,G rail and XML light

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65885

·
Registered
4 Posts
Save some money and carry your USP-Full size .45 that you fire for competition.
You will have a 12 round .45 mag and the money you save can be used for more ammo.

I carry a USP .45 Tactical, it's not that difficult.

Just my .25 cents for what it's worth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I recommend the USP Compact for CCW. I carry my USP9C daily (same dimensions as a USP40C) in an AKJ Concealco IWB rig and it works great for me. It's a super reliable weapon (with high magazine capacity) in a compact package...brilliant!

I've got a USP45, and I have entertained the thought of carrying it, but I'd need a new rig for the "big boy"!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The USP Compact would be perfect, but I want to avoid the proprietary rail. Don't the new HKs (2000, some others) have the pic rail and the other features I'm looking for?
The P30 will have a picatinny rail, but the weapon will not have a USP style control lever (the P30 has no manual safety, neither does the P2000 series)...so you won't be able to carry the P30 in condition-1 (i.e., cocked and locked). The HK45C may be your ticket, but who knows when it will drop!

I say get the USP9C or USP40C, in variant 1, and you'll satisfy most of your requirements. I went with the USP9C and love it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree that the uspc series is your only compact line you can go with if you want a manual safety. You can carry a full size as well, but I wouldnt recommend carrying your existing rig with adjustable sights.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts

- standardized rail
- 9mm or .40

If you want to buy an HK pistol which can be carried "cocked & locked" in a 40 or a 9 with a standardized rail, your only choice, either now or in the foreseeable future, would be a USP or a USP Compact with rail adaptor. Seems to me you'd be best served by a V1 USP Compact 40 based upon your stated parameters. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have the usp45f and carry that too. but the uspc40 is more comfortable and i'm finding it more practical for me. if you can't afford another gun then you can make due w/ the usp45f if it works for you. i would look at ctac or some other way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No way to get an HK with pic rail and a manual safety. It's one way or the other (USPc or P2000). What do you need the rail for? Are you going to have a light on your carry weapon?

In your position I'd get a USPc so the controls would be the same as your fullsize. If you must put a light on it, you can always get an GG&G adapter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want to buy an HK pistol which can be carried "cocked & locked" in a 40 or a 9 with a standardized rail, your only choice, either now or in the foreseeable future, would be a USP or a USP Compact with rail adaptor. Seems to me you'd be best served by a V1 USP Compact 40 based upon your stated parameters. :)
Wow. So if I'm understanding you correctly, HK took one of the best features of the USP series (the control lever, w/safety and decocker) and put it out to pasture in their new pistols?

I do occasionally carry my fullsize USP45--as some have suggested--in the winter. It's a big damn gun. Want something a little smaller for summer carry. ;)

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Carry what you shoot.

I agree with the idea of the carry gun be as close as possible to the one you shoot all of the time. I have 12 USPs (9 45s, 2 9mm Elites, 40 Combat.) I mostly shoot 45. I bought the 9s for cheaper practice and the 40 because it was too good a deal for $599 new. Several people have commented that they find the 40 too "snappy". I feel the same. Thats why I never became a 40 fan. If I want to shoot 180g ammo cranked up to 1100 fps., I can do that with a .45 and have the same result. I reminds me of my 44 AUTOMAG. My carry pistols are the same except the size. I have a .45 EXPERT and a .45 Compact. Both are V3 (no safety, with decocker) with loaded chamber indicators. I did this because too many times I found myself lining op a target and squeezing the trigger only to find that the safety was still on. I see this happen at the range all of the time. I don't want this to happen to me in a danger situation. Am I always going to remember to drop the safety? I'm not sure even after shooting several hundred thousand rounds. With the V3, I check the chamber indicator when I leave the house and I know all I have to do is pull the trigger. Both guns are MAGNAPORTED, ($140.00 each including shipping and insurance both ways) fiber optic front and rear sights, match triggers ( even the compact) and DECAL GRIPs. I can shoot the EXPERT a ton at the range and leave my COMPACT clean for carry. Both guns operate exactly the same. I don't have to think "which gun is this, what do I have to do differently than I usually do?" I don't know if this makes sense to anybody else, but it does to me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
my first carry pistol was a glock 23. I then got my USP compact 9mm which I still have and carry. Last week I picked up a USP fullsize .45 which Ive also been carrying. I def prefer carrying either/or of the HKs over the glock(which I sold)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts