HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a gun show in SF last weekend but I didn't go. Are HKs at gunshow cheaper? I mean I have never been to one so I don't know the whole purpose of it. And if you buy it from gunshow how do I do get it transfer? Is there an independent FFL at gunshow ready to take the gun and do the transfer?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I went to one here in NC this weekend and I noticed that the NIB ones were about the same price as dealers in the area (~$750), but the used ones were a good deal cheaper. I saw a few USP .40's going for about $450 and they looked to be in very good shape. The last used one I saw at a dealer was closer to $550.

·
Registered
602 Posts
lately all of the gunshows in colorado are dealers with their slow selling units, labeled "rare", marked up and attempted to be sold to some unsuspecting schmuck. or just the regular gunstore fare, no special deals

this isnt all dealers mind you, so no offense intended if any are reading this.

I do believe the days of super gun show deals are gone forever, I've heard that some still exist, but you have to look real hard and/or be there before the doors open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, you won't know unless you get out there and look. I've purchased from these boards as well as "Gunsamerica", which is usually over priced IMO. I did find a deal though, it just took some looking. The last purchased I made was at a gun show in S. Florida and I picked up a P2000SK .40 V3 NIB with all the goodies for $675. You just have to look, besides I go to gun shows because I enjoy them...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So let's say I buy it from a gunshow...how do i get to transfer? Do I have to use my FFL or there's usually FFL people present at the show waiting to do business?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not sure what ya mean..

Here in Texas - you go to a gunshow, and buy a gun. Just like if itw as at a store.

If you have a concealed permit, you walk away with no check. If you do not have a permit, the dealer calls the FBI # on his cell phone. U get cleared, U pay,a nd you walk away from the gunshow. No "transfers"

Now, U must be a resident of the state that you want to buy the pistol at.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I didn't go to the NC gun show this past weekend. However, they're usually full of market price dealers and ridiculously insanely overpriced dealers. Once in a blue moon, you'll find a good deal. Some dealers give ok prices while others try to rip everyone off. One of the things I've noticed is that with today's information age, it's harder and harder to get a good deal. Gunsamerica and Gunbroker used to be gold mines full of great deals. Hell, I bought a HK91 LNIB with 8 hi-cap mags, ARMS scope mount, sling, case, and scope for $1400 about 6 years ago.

Sadly, those days are long gone. Everyone knows about Gunbroker and Gunsamerica now. If you ask me, the prices on those boards pretty much tell you the market price now. If you want to score a good deal, you really have to dig for them on all the auction sites and classified ads on many boards like HKPro, AR15.com, Sigforum, etc etc. I'm not saying that there aren't good deals any more, but they're certainly more difficult to find.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
So let's say I buy it from a gunshow...how do i get to transfer? Do I have to use my FFL or there's usually FFL people present at the show waiting to do business?
In California when you buy a weapon you fill out the forms then the gun is transfered to a local FFL holder (usually for a small fee which you have to pay) then the waiting period begins. There are a few local dealers at the shows that handle transfers. After said time you may go to that dealers shop and pick up your weapon. There are NO face to face transfers allowed in Cali. Hope this helps.

One other thing-----GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!! :650:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In California when you buy a weapon you fill out the forms then the gun is transfered to a local FFL holder (usually for a small fee which you have to pay) then the waiting period begins. There are a few local dealers at the shows that handle transfers. After said time you may go to that dealers shop and pick up your weapon. There are NO face to face transfers allowed in Cali. Hope this helps.

One other thing-----GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!! :650:
lol.

I was thinking that if there's a gunshow then the dealer is there. And usually the dealer can do the transfer. I was just wondering if there is anyone that does FFL transfer (not a dealer) part time that's going to be there. Possibly lower transfer fee and such. The lady who did the transfer for me when I bought it out of state...she works at home. It's like a home based business for her.

·
Registered
243 Posts
heck...

where I am from, it is basically just a traveling gunshop (gunshow). For the most part, the only deals are between dealers.

Face it, or at least those that know what I am talking about, the Suncoast Gun shows have one guy, that takes up about (4) complete rows, end to end at a show,but jacks the $$ up so what you finally wind up paying is the same.

If you can find a good FFL, that willlook to make 10-15% on you, no more, give that ffl all your busniess and tell your friends. Mark up is around 30%, but you do have to try to make a living of it.

I give all my busniess to the guy who charges me 10-15% and has great customer service.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Most of the sellers ARE FFL dealers, they do the transfer right there for you. Some aren't FFLs, they are "private sellers". From them, it's just a face to face purchase, and no FFL is required. (Which is what politicians are talking about when they mention the "gun show loophole").

The only caveat is that if the seller is selling his private collection and not an FFL, you and they must live or work in the same state. If not, it must go through an FFL.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've bought several guns at that Suncoast show in FL from Shoot Straight - the people that take up 4 rows. They have the best prices I've found around here on HK handguns - paid $625 for my P2000SK at the last one.

It's hit or miss - if you know what you're shopping for and what it should cost, you can do okay at them. I'd have a hard time buying a gun there I didn't know the market for...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I have never found anything at a gunshow cheaper. Just the opposite in fact. I like to go nose around maybe buy some little small something but that is it. Too overpriced. I understand they are trying to make a living to but they don't have to make it all off me.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Best deals I've ever found on HK's at gunshows were a HK4 in 32, with a 22 conversion kit for #350. And a VP70 for $400.

Most of the time show guns are over priced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plenty of deals can be had a Gunshows

Like a gold mine, you have to dig around to find the gold. I've come across some really good deals at the funshows in Pennsylvania over the past year and of recently. Some items I've seen....

HK USP V1- New / Old stock from LEO trade ins. Never issued, just Dept spares. Brand new w/2mags 475.00. These were also .40 cal items

HK-91 in the orginal box- Consignment item, what a gem!!! 1500.00 with all the accessories!

Not HK but something that will make you say WOW!!! Bushmaster M-16 transfereable MG. Broadhead Steel RDIAS, brand new host rifle. 8200.00 NEG!!!! This was about 6 mnths ago. Still kicking myself in the ass!!:20000000:

HK EFL (NIB with flares) 100.00 / That was a score!:42:

You just have to look around and be patient. There is always a good deal to be had. The key is that when you spot a good deal, jump on it..don't walk away.

·
Registered
316 Posts
No HK at CA gunshow

I just came back from the Crossroads of the West Gun Show in Costa Mesa CA. With four buildings full of "junk" I found almost NO HK items. No HK shotguns for sale. Of Course NO HK rifles, not even any clones. Only one or two badly overpriced used HK USP's. No HK slings, clips, holsters - virtually nothing. It was basically four buildings of gun related paraphernalia and other junk. (of course anything you need for AR-15 clones - dozens of tables with uppers, stocks, rails and stuff in general.) It was as though everyone here in CA decided the AR-15 is the only "military style" weapon which will be worth going forward with. As an HK lover I was disappointed.

David

·
Super Moderator
4,380 Posts
Not sure what ya mean..

Here in Texas - you go to a gunshow, and buy a gun. Just like if itw as at a store.

If you have a concealed permit, you walk away with no check. If you do not have a permit, the dealer calls the FBI # on his cell phone. U get cleared, U pay,a nd you walk away from the gunshow. No "transfers"

Now, U must be a resident of the state that you want to buy the pistol at.
All true; however, the one exception to this is if you do a FTF with a non-dealer at the gunshow. Then there's no paperwork, no wait, no nuthin' except coin-of-the-realm in one direction and weapon in the other (unless it's a trade ;))

I got my first squeeze-cocker back in 1996 at a Houston gunshow in a three-way trade deal--all between individuals. We were all very happy. Legally, it's still a "transfer", but just not one requiring any 4473's.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Went to a gunshow recently and I did not see any HK firearms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts