HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read countless times, including here, that some hanguns like HKs and sigs have a high bore axis making them less desirable. I kinda grew tired of this so i took my USP and placed it side by side the benchmark of all handguns, my colt 1911. surprise! these were taken without any tricks, both were taken from nearly exact same distance, and the same angle - in line with the line where the frame meets slide.

measuring from where the thumb web is indexed, to the firing pin which of course is the approximare location of the center of the bore, there doesn't seem to be a significant difference! so, what's with all the "HKs have a higher bore axis thus more recoil / difficult to shoot / more muzzle flip / etc..."? I havent done this with a sig though. The glock is a different story being a hammerless weapon and thus having no need for a hammer axle - but these undesirability issues i'm talking of are largely based on a 1911 control group, the 1911 being the perfect pistol. I hope this thread will help convert those who have considered this bore axis thing as an HK undesirable trait.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I've posted that HK has same bore axis as 1911 in several threads on different forums. Nobody seemed to be interested.

Anyway, all bore axis myth is pointles, unless you are shooting wheelgun. In selfloader there is a number of other factor equally or more important to how gun works (muzzle flip, tracking, perceived recoil, how fast gun settles back on target). HK UPS is "flippy" not because of bore axis, but because of recoil system used. P30/P30L or HK45/C are less flippy due to changed recoil system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When firing a G19, the low bore axis King to many, alongside a P30 a few weeks back, I couldn't really discern either gun having more "flip".

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the USP doesn't lend itself much to quick shooting because of the recoil system. Thats probably why they abandoned that in favor of nylon buffers in the hk45 and p30, both these handguns having an even lower bore axis for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
When firing a G19, the low bore axis King to many, alongside a P30 a few weeks back, I couldn't really discern either gun having more "flip".
I do not feel my P30L to be overly flippy too (with Geco 124gr 150+ Power Factor ammo). Maybe in moments when I loosen my grip a little (for longer shots or for no reason):

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love it! Very flat! with a lot of Montrala's help of course. I gotta save up for a p30!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've posted that HK has same bore axis as 1911 in several threads on different forums. Nobody seemed to be interested.

Anyway, all bore axis myth is pointles, unless you are shooting wheelgun. In selfloader there is a number of other factor equally or more important to how gun works (muzzle flip, tracking, perceived recoil, how fast gun settles back on target). HK UPS is "flippy" not because of bore axis, but because of recoil system used. P30/P30L or HK45/C are less flippy due to changed recoil system.
Agreed. Now if I had a choice to have a P-30 with a low bore axis I would say yes. But it isn't a detriment to good shooting. I know a local master class shooter who uses a USP .40, doesn't seem to slow him down.

·
Registered
818 Posts
And those crying bore axis, reset, and DA/SA sucks are seeking a crutch to rest their inabilities.
Well said. :3000000:

I just got home from the range and put 200 rds. of 124 gr. Federal American Eagle & 100 rds. of Winchester NATO through my P30 L V3.

The trigger is excellent in both DA and SA -- it's smoothed out very noticeably since the pistol was new. The P30 (L) is a real easy shooting tack driver.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wonderful! Post this to M4Cs handgun forum
Indeed.
If you're talking about the original post, it would probably lead to a "lively" discussion there. However, if you're talking about gtmtnbiker98's post, you likely wouldn't be posting there anymore.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
And those crying bore axis, reset, and DA/SA sucks are seeking a crutch to rest their inabilities.
Yes thats correct, when I see re-set/SA vs SA/DA vs LEM , how do I make my HK trigger like a Colt 1911 trigger? Sure fire clue the shooter isnt training and trying to master the 3 basics of shooting ... tired of typing them, every one knows or SHOULD know what they are by now! Nothing against the OP. /Rant

·
Registered
226 Posts
Let me guess. The three basics are: (1) sight alignment, (2) trigger control, and (3) follow through.

Sent from IPhone

1 - 20 of 38 Posts