HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure most of you know, the 416 has a very stiff buffer spring. I've been watching "Art of the tactical carbine" and practicing some of the drills. I'm havin a difficult time pulling the left half of charging handle with my left hand in the manner they suggest. In order to do it I have to hook both fingers around both sides and give it a hell of a pull, not very graceful or quick, but it works I suppose.

I was wondering if anyone here has used a lighter M4 spring, and if there were any issues changing them out? Or maybe I just need to work out more lol!

I am running a 10.4 inch barrel if that matters and all parts except the lower are original German 416 parts.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Get stronger?

Just kidding. The 416 spring definitely has more resistance but I haven't noticed that much of a difference in charging it with only the left hand. What type of charging handle are you using? I've found the BCM medium gunfighter handle to work well. The larger latch gives a good purchase for left handing racking. It also seems smoother to me than normal charging handles (which always felt like they were dragging on the left inside of the upper receiver when charging one handed).

I'd try a charging handle change or more pratice before switching springs (which may affect reliability or accelerate wear, since if you reduce the sring weight the action is being sped up and the 10.4 inch 416 runs pretty fast to begin with). I'd rather have a more reliable rifle that takes a 10th of a second longer to charge than a less reliable more easily charged rifle. Just one mans opinion.

If the above doesn't work or it's just a training/rang toy no harm in trying a normal AR spring or different buffers, as both are cheap. Throw em in, go shoot it and see how it works.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd try a charging handle change or more pratice before switching springs (which may affect reliability or accelerate wear, since if you reduce the sring weight the action is being sped up and the 10.4 inch 416 runs pretty fast to begin with). I'd rather have a more reliable rifle that takes a 10th of a second longer to charge than a less reliable more easily charged rifle. Just one mans opinion.
If you were to go with a lighter spring, wouldn't a heavier buffer help to slow the acceleration and keep the same BCG velocity? The physics of balancing the forces and weight are intricate, and could lead to other problems (impact at the back end of the cycle?). I have dealt with them in other realms, but am just now getting interested in it with the AR platform. Maybe a hydraulic buffer would be another option.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
I would NOT change to a lighter spring. The spring and buffer in the 416 are optimized for he piston system, ensuing reliability. I believe ou would experience excess wear/damage if you start messing with the spring

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have to agree with those saying not to mess with the spring. The forces involved are pretty strong and I'd be worried about the carrier crashing around. It might just be a thing as simple as how you're wearing your sling, how you're holding your primary hand, and leverage. Experiment a bit with that before throwing money at the problem.

-W

·
Banned
879 Posts
Grow stronger.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Get stronger?

I've found the BCM medium gunfighter handle to work well. The larger latch gives a good purchase for left handing racking. It also seems smoother to me than normal charging handles (which always felt like they were dragging on the left inside of the upper receiver when charging one handed).

If the above doesn't work or it's just a training/rang toy no harm in trying a normal AR spring or different buffers, as both are cheap. Throw em in, go shoot it and see how it works.
This! The Medium is my favorite, but I have a Small on a 416 at the moment and it is leaps and bounds over a standard charging handle. With the Large, you run the risk of it being a snag hazard; however, they are great for when you have optics that make it hard to get to your charging handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts