HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have 5 different 45 semi auto from 4 different manufacturers. That is besides the 40's and 9's. I am thinking about not only consolidating calibers but also guns. There are different things I like about each gun (HK, M&P, Glock, Kimber). I think my first choice right now is the HK v1. However I do not like the DA trigger pull at all. I realize that it is a combat trigger not a target trigger.

I am considering selling everything and only having 2 or 3 of the same gun. I know about the LEM but I don't think that is my cup of tea. Another problem is the LEM ruins the looks of the USP's. Same thing when you make a Sig P220 a DAK. Anyway my question is how good are the triggers from some of custom houses. I would love to have an HK with the trigger of my early 80's Python. I realize this is probably not possible.

Aesthetics are important. The Glocks and the M&P are butt ugly. I like the HK's in stainless as well as the stainless P220's. I could just go with 1911's as I shoot best with a single action. I know that the HK can be cocked and locked but have never carried one that way.

Sometimes I think about just getting another Python or a couple of Smith 66's. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Right now I have 5 different 45 semi auto from 4 different manufacturers. That is besides the 40's and 9's. I am thinking about not only consolidating calibers but also guns. There are different things I like about each gun (HK, M&P, Glock, Kimber). I think my first choice right now is the HK v1. However I do not like the DA trigger pull at all. I realize that it is a combat trigger not a target trigger.

I am considering selling everything and only having 2 or 3 of the same gun. I know about the LEM but I don't think that is my cup of tea. Another problem is the LEM ruins the looks of the USP's. Same thing when you make a Sig P220 a DAK. Anyway my question is how good are the triggers from some of custom houses. I would love to have an HK with the trigger of my early 80's Python. I realize this is probably not possible.

Aesthetics are important. The Glocks and the M&P are butt ugly. I like the HK's in stainless as well as the stainless P220's. I could just go with 1911's as I shoot best with a single action. I know that the HK can be cocked and locked but have never carried one that way.

Sometimes I think about just getting another Python or a couple of Smith 66's. Any thoughts?
You definitely won't get a Python quality trigger on the HK.

A member here described the feeling of HK triggers as "a wet potato chip." My DA/SA P2000 has the Gray Guns trigger job. It still feels like a wet potato chip, just a light one with very little reset. Trigger jobs on HK's are kinda like ugly chicks going to the beautician.....they're still ugly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you! Am I glad I read this. I was just about to send my two p2000 LEM to convert to DA/SA and trigger jobs.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I've got four classic pre-lock S&W revolvers with tuned triggers (629-2,65-3,640-1,342 ti).
The only autos I've got that even resemble a tuned revolver is my Sig Sauer P239/357 DA/SA and my Kahr MK40 Elite DAO.
The P239, with a professional trigger job and SRT kit has a very revolver like smooth 7.0 lbs DA.
The MK40 Elite is a very light and smooth DAO right from the factory.

But no auto DA I've felt truly matches a tuned revolver.
My M65-3 357 3" heavy barrel has a buttery 6.75 lbs DA that defines smooth.

My new HK P30 LEM V2 isn't bad.
I'm in the process of converting to LEM V1 Light.
I don't expect glassy, but for a carry trigger it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
If you are looking for a trigger, then 'Q' is all you need to look for. In the words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I'm gonna say about that."

·
Registered
234 Posts
HKs are not known for having quality feeling triggers, at least not from my experience. You can send them in to get worked on and have them come back feeling better, but they still feel worse than even some out of the box triggers from other gun makers. To this day, I have not felt a better out of the box trigger than the da/sa of a Jericho 941 I once had. The single action of the 941 in particular was just mechanical bliss. I don't know if it is because the 941 has a dual trigger bar or what, but it just felt really great. I imagine CZ-75 triggers, especially those worked on by Hobdell (sp?) are even better, since the 941 is based on the CZ-75.

All that said, the HK triggers are perfectly workable, as in you can get proficient with them if you want to commit the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you don't like DAO or the DA pull,why not go SAO with the Tactical trigger?The SA on mine is as nice or nicer than some box stock 1911s,and I love 1911s.

Recently I've noticed more people slimming down to one type of gun or caliber,I don't get it unless it's a matter of having to liquidate your stock for money.I always believed it's important to be well diversified in guns.You may not shoot them all great,but if need be you can.I carry a 1911,but I can carry any auto or revolver to defend myself and family.I shoot the 1911 best,but I've won matches with a Beretta,a generic Smith 915 and revolvers in combat matches.I believe being a well rounded shooter is more important than being a bullseye shooter.When SHTF,you don't know for sure you will have your gun,so whatever you get is going to have to work.There are alot od DA/SA guns out there,I think it would be beneficial to learn to deal with the transition.Some people actually shoot better in DA than SA because the heavy pull forces them to concentrate on the basics harder,and relax for that easier SA pull.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I know about the LEM but I don't think that is my cup of tea. Another problem is the LEM ruins the looks of the USP's.

Aesthetics are important
I prefer the look of my HK45( I know it is a different weapon than a USP but.....) without the safety/decocker now that I converted it from a V1 DA/SA to Light LEM DAO. I think it looks a lot cleaner. But that is just my opinion.

You definitely won't get a Python quality trigger on the HK.

A member here described the feeling of HK triggers as "a wet potato chip.
I think HK's DA/SA trigger feels more like a stick being dragged through wet sand. Sorta gritty and sticky in spots. Again, just my opinion. Once I converted it to Light LEM I was thrilled with it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Light LEM FTW
Or Match trigger, cocked and locked.
If you're considering a 1911 as an option, then treating a match trigger USP as if it were SAO is a viable alternative...

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
I shot my USP 9 with its match trigger along side my colt 1911 with a custom shop trigger just last weekend.

I never bother shooting the USP in DA, the SA pulls are similar, with the Colt getting the edge in length and crispness. Keep in mind this is a custom trigger VS one that is essentially stock.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Exactly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 14 or so HK's and am not a huge fan of their pistol triggers but a huge fan of their guns. The pistols are in dire need of a trigger job or rework by HK. There was a great article by Larry Vickers on the HK45/45c series pistol-training.com » HK45 Interview with Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers My Recommendation
would be to put 500 rounds down the pipe before making a decision on changing handguns or triggers. It takes a while for your body, mind, eye focus to adjust and
develope the muscle memory that one needs to become proficient with any handgun/Trigger system.

HK please fix your Trigger system! A combo of Light LEM and Match! with the option of Cocked n locked or Light Lem/Match n call it vs 11.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Of the 3 HK pistols I own, the HK45c has by far the best trigger.
My Full Size HK45 is not bad and is totally acceptable but I consider my German "BA" HK45c to be outstanding for a stock DA/SA HK pistol.
Smooth pull with short take-up and nice reset. The DA pull weight is decent and very usable. The SA pull is perfect.
My P2000 is a real bow wow.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thank you! Am I glad I read this. I was just about to send my two p2000 LEM to convert to DA/SA and trigger jobs.
That's not going to happen. The frames are different and won't allow for it.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The LOP and reset of hk triggers could be much better, yet i am perfectly fine with them.

My #1 question to people who dont like their triggers is, does it work everytime you pull the trigger? If you ask me, that is ALL that matters. If you want a smooth hk trigger, get a p30. If you want less LOP and reset but dont mind a little grittiness then go with an hk45c or usp. If you want a smooth short LOP and reset, get the match trigger kit. If you want a ultra short LOP and ultra short reset, hk is not your cup of tea.

But put it this way, i'd much rather have my lwrc ar15 with a standard milspec trigger group than a bushmaster ar with the best trigger in the world.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
All tools are ugly. The word "Tool" implies "work" and i think it takes work to be proficient with a tool that has such a high quality. Sure there are more tools that shine more but few out last and out work Hk.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The LOP and reset of hk triggers could be much better, yet i am perfectly fine with them.

My #1 question to people who dont like their triggers is, does it work everytime you pull the trigger? If you ask me, that is ALL that matters. If you want a smooth hk trigger, get a p30. If you want less LOP and reset but dont mind a little grittiness then go with an hk45c or usp. If you want a smooth short LOP and reset, get the match trigger kit. If you want a ultra short LOP and ultra short reset, hk is not your cup of tea.

But put it this way, i'd much rather have my lwrc ar15 with a standard milspec trigger group than a bushmaster ar with the best trigger in the world.
You mean trigger travel. LOP is different.

·
Registered
234 Posts
One thing I do like about the HK trigger, at least on my LEM version, is that the rest is something like 1/8 of an inch, which is very short IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts