HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not a problem with me. I get the feeling a fair percentage of new shooters don't even bother trying to get good at shooting with iron sights anymore. Most seem to only be interested in pistols that are optics ready. I have yet to try one out myself and no hurry but might do it for my Browning Buckmark to try out.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I’ve just recently (like the past two weeks) took a dive into the optics world of handguns. Purchased a VP9 OR 2020 just to to try one out. I wouldn’t carry a weapon with a dot personally. Don’t want the extra nor the possibility of something going wrong with it in a Defense situation. So I’ve been an fan of Trijicon HD’s for a long time on all carry guns. But.... this Leupold DPP is simply fantastic at the range!! Pic is of the equipment mentioned at 15yds off hand with Federal American Eagle 124gr after first sighting in. It’s sweet, I’ll give it that!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Not a problem with me. I get the feeling a fair percentage of new shooters don't even bother trying to get good at shooting with iron sights anymore. Most seem to only be interested in pistols that are optics ready. I have yet to try one out myself and no hurry but might do it for my Browning Buckmark to try out.
It’s a capability enhancer for sure. I don’t blame someone for wanting to reap that benefit and being good with an Rds increases ability to call shots in the process and give one more wherewithal on their irons.

I’m a hard skeptic on most anything and my rds pistols out number iron only 4:1

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once you master the dot, it’s surprisingly easy to go back to irons as needed, because of improvements to indexing and consistent presentation required by the dot- and target focus with irons, as is needed with the dot, works extremely well once you’ve learned the secrets the dot helps uncover.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I’m not surprised, nor disappointed.
RDS on a P30/USP-X is a 1911 with an RDS + pic rail. Thankfully/fortunately HK does not do ‘me too’ (with their hammers), especially when they’ve already responded with their VW Beetle.
And the VW Beetle adopted the RDS, unlike a new gun/design for RDS (as from the other German company).

·
Registered
102 Posts
"Just stop putting the "lightening" cut into the P's & 45's. Or not make it so deep in critical mounting areas." That was my suggestion to them in the survey. Along with filling the OOS parts bins.

I would love a red dot on my P30sk just to help with the longer distance shooting. My eyes are fine for the 7yds I do most of my shooting at. Dang gun is such a tackdriver that I'd really like to see what it's capable of without dealing with old eyes and the short sight radius. Like Grumpy1, I'll probably put one of my Buckmark first and then go from there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The people I know who are enjoying red dots are older shooters. As my eyesight declines I’m looking into getting an RDS as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The red dot is the way of the future, and having platforms ready for a dot out of the box is definitely the way that the market is going.
I just started shooting with a dot last year, and I will only buy pistols ready for a dot going forward. Shooting a dot has made me a better shooter with iron sights too. If it’s not dot ready I’m not interested.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Pistols with RDS annoy me. I just don't see the appeal in making a concealable weapon bulkier and heavier for the sake of adding complexity, cost, and another failure point. A well designed set of irons accomplish the exact same thing with less to go wrong. Put the front dot in the center of the rear notch and squeeze the trigger. It's just not that hard. I feel like a nice red fiber optic dot up front does literally the exact same thing as the red dot in a RDS. Cover the intended POI with the dot and done. Now, in a competition pistol where the RDS might be frame-mounted rather than mounted on top of the reciprocating slide, I can see the speed advantage of not having to wait for the slide to stop moving before picking up the dot again, but that's not what we're talking about here. For a concealed carry or defensive pistol? KISS.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pistols with RDS annoy me. I just don't see the appeal in making a concealable weapon bulkier and heavier for the sake of adding complexity, cost, and another failure point. A well designed set of irons accomplish the exact same thing with less to go wrong. Put the front dot in the center of the rear notch and squeeze the trigger. It's just not that hard. I feel like a nice red fiber optic dot up front does literally the exact same thing as the red dot in a RDS. Cover the intended POI with the dot and done. Now, in a competition pistol where the RDS might be frame-mounted rather than mounted on top of the reciprocating slide, I can see the speed advantage of not having to wait for the slide to stop moving before picking up the dot again, but that's not what we're talking about here. For a concealed carry or defensive pistol? KISS.
I broke down and bought a $600 Trijicon, and mounted it on an FNX Tactical. It looks cool, and it's pretty fun to play with, but I'm not one of these guys that has to have every pistol be optic ready now. I mean, seriously... When you get to where you have dozens and dozens of Pistols, are you really going to have dozens and dozens of $600 optics for all of them? Oh you can swap an optic back and forth? Gotcha. Now you gotta unscrew it and mount it to a plate and then mount it to a different pistol, only to then have to sight it in from scratch. Sounds like loads of fun

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP- is this your question to HK they responded to? If so, can you potentially ask about any future plans for updates to the current MR556 platform stateside? Cheers!
Nope, not my question to HK, just came across it on HK’s social media.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What if I told you that you could have irons with an RDS?

How well can you shoot with irons at night? In variable lighting? How about under NODs? How does your iron sight accuracy compare against an RDS at 25 yards? 50 yards? What if we introduce a short par time, maybe something like a >80 score needed on a B-8 at 25 yards under 20 seconds? What about shooting on the move? How well can you shift focal planes so you can observe the target while also keeping a decent front sight focus? A nice FO can work about as well as an RDS if you're shooting A zones 7 yards... but at that point, I can just slide index and get A zone hits most of the time, too.

Concealing an RDS is trivial. Most of y'all just suck as concealed carry.

And I certainly wouldn't call "[putting] the front dot in the center of the rear notch and [squeezing] the trigger" "not that hard", not if you want to combine speed and accuracy. Simple, perhaps, but hardly easy. Go to any Steel Challenge or USPSA match and you'll see how difficult it can be to perform that at a high level with consistency.

As for the topic on hand, I'm slightly surprised at the P30 not being updated, given how it's a relatively popular issued sidearm in European LE... but I guess there's a general move away from hammer-fired guns anyway. Shame.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts