HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sad part is I can learn new skills, especially mechanical, VERY easily. A little bit of training and familiarization and I'm sure I could do the job well. Need experience to get the job, need the job to get experience. :/

... any armorers need an apprentice? :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I wish I had the background to apply. I think I'd be much happier in the firearms industry than my current employment.
I've yet to be in an industry that isn't ugly...the firearms industry is no different. It may even be worse given the personal feelings I/you/we all have toward it. Like many, many others, I wanted a spot to peak "behind the curtain" and get a glimpse. And like many before me, I did not like what I saw.

Like and old, salty dog once told me..."For people like us, the grass ain't green nowhere, kid. You just pick the shade of brown that tastes the best and eat up."

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm sure the industry is cutthroat and I would be shocked at what I saw. I was thinking more of the day-to-day liking what I do. Working on guns I think would be an enjoyable profession.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What college degree do you even persue to become a firearms "engineer "?
Weren't they all called crafstmen that learned from apprenticeship?
Where does one even go now to do "firearm school"?
Like welders, didn't even the women in WWII go to work in the manufacturing industry because the men went to war?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
What college degree do you even persue to become a firearms "engineer "?
Weren't they all called crafstmen that learned from apprenticeship?
Where does one even go now to do "firearm school"?
Like welders, didn't even the women in WWII go to work in the manufacturing industry because the men went to war?
There are places that offer armorer classes and certs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
When one's hobbies become work, they aren't hobbies anymore.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well for the design engineer they want a mech engineering degree. But also minimum 5 years experience designing firearms. That's the part I don't know how you get without already having an in with the industry somewhere.

I don't work on firearms now, I just shoot them :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well for the design engineer they want a mech engineering degree. But also minimum 5 years experience designing firearms. That's the part I don't know how you get without already having an in with the industry somewhere.
You could start at Remington. I'm pretty sure after their latest releases they are taking anyone.

Joke aside, there is a manufacturer called Serbu here in Fl, a video of the owner and his projects and in it his yound daughter was doing some tig welding on a long gun.
Lucky girl. ( I want to learn welding in an apprenticeship ).
I also worked for a family owned ammo factory locally in the hope of learning from the owner who was also a gunsmith but he was too busy to pass on any knowledge. That was my favority and when you work with what you love it isn't *work* at all: "Love what you do, do what you love".

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm sure the industry is cutthroat and I would be shocked at what I saw. I was thinking more of the day-to-day liking what I do. Working on guns I think would be an enjoyable profession.
I wouldn't be too sure. A friend of mine that was HEAVILY into Early Broncos as a fun hobby had an opportunity to go in as a partner in a shop that specialized in Early Broncos. Well after a while of dealing with other people's Broncos and the day to day operation of the shop the LAST thing he wanted to do after he got home was to work on his own Bronco. He actually started to dislike Broncos and after a few years sold his share of the business and left. He is once again enjoying his Bronco doing modifications and trail rides.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One of my best buds started a company that makes scope mounts and rare items for pre ban firearms about 4 years ago and we have not shot together since ! He is into model trains and airplanes now . It has ruined his interest hobby of firearms ! Big bummer .

·
Registered
71 Posts
This!!!

That's exactly (well part of) why I didn't want to work in a shop after going to school for automotive tech. Got done at the end of the day and screw working on my cars. The other part was all the idiot @#$^ing customers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lets hope they are planning to use this new US facility to start up their roller locked line of gems!!
Would love a HK 53 SBR or a factory MP5SD Semi when suppressors are on a form 4473 in the future.

HK Ag

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Lets hope they are planning to use this new US facility to start up their roller locked line of gems!!
Would love a HK 53 SBR or a factory MP5SD Semi when suppressors are on a form 4473 in the future.

HK Ag
As has been posted before, this factory is in all likelihood to enable HK to meet the "Made in USA" requirement to fulfill Military contracts. Such as the recent order from the Marines for more IARs. The possibility of HK resurrecting their roller-lock lines are basically...snowball+hell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts