HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, new to Hk. I been shooting 1911's. My question is , what is the difference in recoil in the 40 or 45 fullsize?? I thinking of getting one or the other, and want something my son (12) can shoot also. I have the USP 9mm compact, now we are hooked. Any help will be appreciated.

Bubby

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Get another 9mm, the .40 is significantly more 'flippy', I prefer the .45 over the .40, but seeing as his age is 12? I started shooting the Colt 1911 at 12. (Grew up on a farm)

The full size .45 is a large pistol in the grip, but its a very soft shooter, the USP Compact .45 is smaller in the grip, and a softer shooter than the .40. If he can handle .45 - the USP Compact .45 may be a very good fit if he has big hands - if not, may be the 9mm would work better than the .40?

I love the .40sw, its really not a round for beginners - where as the .45 in the right platform is easier to learn on.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Hello folks, new to Hk. I been shooting 1911's. My question is , what is the difference in recoil in the 40 or 45 fullsize?? I thinking of getting one or the other, and want something my son (12) can shoot also. I have the USP 9mm compact, now we are hooked. Any help will be appreciated.

Bubby
The fullsize USP 45 will be noticeably softer-shooting than the fullsize USP 40. The average chamber pressure of the 40 S&W cartridge is somewhere on the order of about 33,000 psi, while the 45 ACP is typically at around 20,000 or even less. That much being said however, I think your son would be fine with either since the fullsize USPs have more slide mass (heavier), and the more elaborate dual-spring recoil system as compared with the USP Compact 9mm he is already shooting. In my opinion, the fullsize USP 45 is the nicest shooting HK pistol of the three you mentioned (the fullsize USP 40, the compact USP 9mm, and the fullsize USP 45). :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
haveing both i can say the 45 is absolutly a softer shooter. the 40 has a snap of recoil whare as the 45 is more of a thud. my wife with small hands and all likes the 45 much better then the 40, she said after shooting the 40 for a day at the range i was on the 45 it felt like her hands were brused, so the next time we went out i had the 40 she was on the 45, when the day was done she asked if she could use the 45 whenever we go out to the range together, no more brused hands now i just have to get her a 45 of her own. :13:

·
Registered
18 Posts
USP45F

Yet another vote for the USP45F. Soft shooting, more controllable, a pleasure to shoot. I too have both pistols. I enjoy the USP45F much more. There is virtually no corkscrewing and very little muzzle rise for a .45

H&K-Guy

·
Registered
329 Posts
40 is definitely "snappier" whereas the 45 is more of a long shove. But in all honesty my USP in 40 shooting 180 blazer brass recoils about as much as a beretta in 9mm from my experience.

For a 12 year old though, I'd personally recommend a Walther P22, It's small which will fit his small hands better and .22 has little to no recoil, And the price is right, $250-300

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you think he's ready to step up from the 9mm go for it. My daughter (16) loves to shoot with me and I can hardly get her to shoot anything smaller than my USP.45. she likes that and 12 guage shot gun. go girl. The .45 is not that much different that the .40 really.
anyway, from what I understand the recoil is different on the compact models, so stay with the full size. I wouldn't be afraid of the .45. The recoil is less than with a 1911.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't know about muzzle flip on the USP 40 full size, I've been shooting .40 cal guns for 12yrs now. I have let other Deputies shoot my full size USP 40 and they have mostly commented that the recoil isn't as flippy as their Glock 17's. The gun's size & recoil spring system do tame the muzzle flip, also remember the original design of the USP was designed around the .40 S&W cartridge not 45 or 9mm. So as far as chamber pressures and all that stuff I would not be worried about it. Which ever you choose, enjoy and have fun with you son!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I shoot both, I personally preffer, and shoot better/faster with my .40. I find the cycle feels like its completed faster and I get back on target faster. I shot IDPA and other and I have to make power factor so I shot some somewhat hot loads.

As for my side arm, I carry the 40 exclusively. Working out on fed / state training center I have seen all the ballistics and field data and demos on base. The car glass demo sold me on the 40... as well as the door penetration tests... The extra few rounds is what I like.

The only time I would want the .45, is if i was going to suppress.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I shoot both, I personally preffer, and shoot better/faster with my .40. I find the cycle feels like its completed faster and I get back on target faster. I shot IDPA and other and I have to make power factor so I shot some somewhat hot loads.

As for my side arm, I carry the 40 exclusively. Working out on fed / state training center I have seen all the ballistics and field data and demos on base. The car glass demo sold me on the 40... as well as the door penetration tests... The extra few rounds is what I like.

The only time I would want the .45, is if i was going to suppress.
Exactly, I couldn't find the right words to say, But you hit the nail on the head with .45 vs .40 recoil.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Agreed. One must not forget about power factor. You cannot compare a .40 and .45 without taking into account the ammo.

I shoot IDPA with my USP40C and my friend uses his Glock30. I find my gun much more controllable and, as mentioned above, faster back on target. I dont have a specific preferance to either caliber, but I dont think one is better/easier to shoot than the other.

Its sort of like comparing apples and pears. Both are fruit, but the best one is the one YOU like best.

·
Registered
434 Posts
And please do not give me the if he isn't down in eight argument...

For your average CCW person, in the once in a lifetime confrontation I don't doubt that claim... but I hear that from people who carry there good old 45 and go to the range once or twice a year. Some of these folks can barely hit a Q target at 10 yards... let alone when trying to shot quickly from a draw. Yeah, I know its all training....

But I can pull up countless gun fights where the shots keep flying... Now if your training 1X a week and are mentally prepared.. sure I will let you have that argument. But make no mistake, I wont be done firing until the threat is neutralized... We use to train two shots (double tap), then it was two and a head shot... now training has moved onto engaging until the threat is neutralized. With the availability of body armor, drug use and such, the rules have changed. We teach shooting at the pelvic girdle now for a reason.

Then back to this 8 shot thing... So your at convience store and oh no... not to sound like a freak here, but lets take a look at several recent store robberies at gun point... look at the videos, more an more they are two or even three people involved.

All that said, if your using any 9mm or 40 or 45...get good ammo. The differences we saw defeating doors, windows ect was DRAMATIC. Even high quality 9mm ammo was impressive to say the least. We hear all these problem overseas from our troops and the ammo not stopping their opponents and I always here that brought up in these debates.... well... lets remember that the military is not afforded the same bonded ammo as our LEO and CCW people. Talk so many snipers who are using .223 for urban duty now... Believe me they are not using DOD issued ammo. Bullet technology has advanced considerably over the years.

Oh... one more reason I like the 40... my practice ammo is cheaper (and yes I reload too, its still cheaper).

Wow... that was a rant... Sorry.....and I say all this as I am wearing my 45c today.. go figure.

Just for your viewing pleasure... the end of the chase sums up a few points.
http://www.officer.com/videonetwork/index.jsp?showid=378811

·
Registered
40 Posts
i bought a p2000 in 40 i hope i dont regret it and im pending a purchase on a p2000sk in 40. again i hope i dont regret purchasing these two pistols in this caliber. Also the p2000 is my first pistol purchase. I have fired the 40 fullsize before and loved it. but that was years ago.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
...and want something my son (12) can shoot also...
Bubby
The OP asked about a caliber suitable for a 12 yr old boy to learn on...not what big boys prefer to shoot.

*Thread went 'off topic'* ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts