HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
You should mention before that they put dates on them:2300000:

Oh, and not always is everything dated. Last gunshow went to bought a G3 backplate and stock. The backplate was stamped HK 5/73 on the underside. Buttstock has no markings, buffer had the HK mark, stock had cool sticker from German army on it that translates to. Unserviceable, do NOT use. So it came out of German army service that way. (Recoil rod was loose, I repeened and seems good, might TIG to be sure)

I also have an SG1 stock that is dated 2/73 H, no other visible markings. Also have a SUO plastic lower That is HK 74/2 on the inside rear just before the tang. So there seems to be some variations even within a short span on markings that was probably more formalized in 1976. There may have been a logic to the system and if you find something more please share.

·
Registered
915 Posts
A date and a date code are two different ways to possibly figure when it was made.

Stuff usually has one or the other, some have no markings.

Matching codes were rare on 80's guns.

I can't see why anyone would care about part dates on anything other than a rare Santa Fe gun.

DG

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know on my black HK wide handguard the date code is just behind the 3-point sling clip. Mine was 2-IB which I initially thought was a mold mark of 218 from actual production. Upon closer examination, and a bright light, I was able to ascertain that the 8 was actually a B.

·
Banned
34,579 Posts
I know on my black HK wide handguard the date code is just behind the 3-point sling clip. Mine was 2-IB which I initially thought was a mold mark of 218 from actual production. Upon closer examination, and a bright light, I was able to ascertain that the 8 was actually a B.
Correct--- but I do not recall a definitive explanation for the first digit (1, 2, 3, or 4--- plant number?)!!! :biggrin:

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts