HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share a cool moment with you guys. Maybe some of u guys have kids or grand kids and can relate. Had the P30L out this evening (safety checked, no ammo in sight) just handling and admiring it. My 11 year old son came in and wanted to know a little more about it. I am by no means an expert, but we spent a half hour going over all the parts and what they did. From explaining the stamps and markings to reviewing the extractor/ejector. Hilarious moment when my son looked at me and pointed to the massive ejector and said, "Isn't that the piece in your old Glock that kept shooting the brass in your face?" I laughed out loud. Looking at the HK in such detail really reaffirmed my decision to go with HK. Such outstanding craftsmanship and over engineering. Now he asked what those roll pins were on the slide and I told him that's where the firing pin is contained. He wanted to take it apart but I am nowhere near brave enough to start a slide disassembly on the HK yet. Of course all this just makes me want to buy another HK, but I think I am raising an HK fan as well- which I am very happy about.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Those are golden moments. Your boy will likely remember that the rest of his life and may even do it for his children. There is no telling how far a good influence can advance a youngster. Nice that HK could be a part of that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Coming from an engineering background specifically motorsports, and seeing the precision that HK's are made with basically makes them the formula 1 of guns

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,803 Posts
Bravo! And don't be wary of doing a complete strip of that slide. It's really not so intimidating. Just go slowly and make sure that the cat is locked up so that all the small parts stay in one place...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Coming from an engineering background specifically motorsports, and seeing the precision that HK's are made with basically makes them the formula 1 of guns
I like that, hope you don't mind if I use it?

I was able to finally get my wife to the range last night. She shot a S&W Bodyguard, a Walther .380, Kahr P40, and a Kimber Ultra Carry TLE II 45 ACP. She only shot about 20 rounds total. I still had 3 more pistols for her to shoot, including the HK P30 but being her first time she was done at that point. When we got home I gave her the HK P30 to check out. She said she liked the feel but the grip was too large for her hand. Imagine her surprise when we go to the range next time and I hand her that same P30 with the small grips and it likely fits her hand perfectly. Not only precision engineered but excellent in design concept.

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love it when the shooting bug gets passed on and be careful that shooting bug may come back to bite you when your boy is older. I was visiting my 70 year old uncle last week who taught me how to shoot. I handed him a USP Combat Competition. He squeezed that trigger back once, started laughing, and said “I don’t know if it can get much better than that for a trigger” he turns the gun over to look at the slide and says “HK must be one hell of a gun maker”.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My dad barely let me have a pellet gun at the age of 16. Still gives me funny looks about being a gun owner today.

To me the shooting sports is a great avenue for father/son interaction.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad a lot of folks here enjoyed the story. My parents were very strict about no guns in the home ( and I mean NO guns- pellet, BB, water). My grandfather was killed in WW2 (honored with the Silver Star posthumously) so guns were a very touchy subject to my mom and grandmother. Anything I've learned about guns has been self taught as a 40 year old man. Now I'm totally addicted. I'll eventually get the guts to tear apart that slide!

·
Registered
854 Posts
A great way to start...and an excellent way to spend some quality time with a youngster...

My 7 year old is my 'assistant' when I reload ammo...it teaches him the proper ways to handle the components and injects the science into seeing the parts and explaining what they do...also encourages safety (eyes and ears)....

yours sounds like a bright young lad (especially with the grasped concept of the extractor)...keep steering him down that path and it will only ensure this is one of many fond memories forged over an HK....

I was privledged to be not only a rural midwest boy, but to have a stepdad who was a certified gunsmith...he was also a Class 3 Demo Dealer....so I grew up understanding and respecting firearms...

No matter how old or young you are, everybody started somewhere--I am sure my Dad would have be thrilled to have a resource like this forum to help him out along the way....we are all here to help eachother out, even if its just to crack a grin which your anecdote did for me

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have my first son on the way in NOV and reading that story just makes me more and more excited to have a range buddy.

I too grew up in a household with parents that werent into firearms. Luckily for me they did not stop me from learning and having them. When my grandfather passed he left me a Remington bolt action .22 and that started my fascination in not only shooting firearms but what makes them work. While my parents never got into them, they never discouraged me from firearms or the shooting sports. My daughter is about 3 so I am hoping when she gets older she will also get bit by the bug and roll to the range with the old man. Exciting times!

Great story brother. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thats awesome to hear. My girlfriend and I just found out that we are pregnant. Gonna start my little one off early just like my dad did with us.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Great story. It reminded me of being a little guy and my dad showing me how to take down the 91 and what all the pieces do. The slide is not that bad. If u have any problems you can always ask someone here. Best of luck you and the new shooter.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That is an experience that both you and your son will never forget, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have my first son on the way in NOV and reading that story just makes me more and more excited to have a range buddy.
Congrats Tater! My first (a boy) is due in Dec. I too can't wait to have someone to teach about the world of firearms (and HK's). :41:

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I love this thread!! My Dad has worked at Remington Arms for 40 years this past May. Needless to say, I was very fortunate to be raised around firearms my entire life. I was taught at an early age how to break down Model 700 rifles and 870 shotguns for cleaning, safety aspects of firearms, and within this year how to reload. My wife is 8 weeks pregnant w/ twins (our first children) and I don't care if we have girls or boys, I can't wait for
them to get old enough to start to teaching them about firearms and pass down what I have learned. I am also very fortunate that my wife is enjoys shooting, so she won't mind helping to teach them either. It is definitely our responsibilty to teach our children the proper use of our beloved
firearms, so they can enjoy them and help fight for our 2nd Amendment rights also! I have to say again...I love this thread and makes me giddy about the future!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts

I too grew up in a household with parents that werent into firearms. Luckily for me they did not stop me from learning and having them. When my grandfather passed he left me a Remington bolt action .22 and that started my fascination in not only shooting firearms but what makes them work. While my parents never got into them, they never discouraged me from firearms or the shooting sports. My daughter is about 3 so I am hoping when she gets older she will also get bit by the bug and roll to the range with the old man. Exciting times!

Great story brother. Thanks for sharing.
If you'll indulge me for a moment.... When my younglings were old enough to talk to and patiently watch, I cleaned my guns with them at the table (having cleared the mags and checked the chambers...). I explained the process and answered their questions. When they were old enough to hold a 10/22 I took them to the woods and would hold the rifle while they pulled the trigger. These days were golden moments of discovery and excitement for them and me. They all enjoy the shooting sports now. My oldest is 31, a Marine and still goes with me to range when he's in town. The youngest is 15. He started later than the others, but enjoys going to a private range with just his dad. The other influence I had on each is that they love HKs too and argue over which of mine they get to inherit....over, of course, my dead body. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts