HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may be just me but I recently bought a Psksk with a bb date code. It seems like the slide release is a much more deep black. I remember my p2000 and p30 that I bought a couple years ago looked as if the metal was fading through the slide release at the time of purchase due to the hard metals. It might be just in my head, anybody else notice this? It could be because it's my newest HK.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My B Date Coded German Made HK45C seems to have a nicer black than my AI Date Coded Unfired German Made Hk45C, Much deeper rich shine to it, It could be my imagination though ha.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Just so everyone is clear here, are you asking about the HK's Hostile Environment finish, or HK's blueing(black) finish? :confused:
The "deeper/richer" black you're asking about ISN'T the H.E. finish. The H.E finish is underneath....

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have noticed this too. I have seen some P2k's and the blued finish seems richer and maybe glossier than USP's I've seen. could just e the shape and milling of the slide and how it reflects light differently than some of HK's other models. Something tells me it's probably the same finish though. But who knows!

·
Registered
823 Posts
HE is another form of nitro-gas carburized black oxide treatment of the major components. I don't believe there is any blueing and the only finish I know of is on the HK pistols, specifically the Mark/MK23.
I'm unsure of what kind of finish it is, it's like Black T and seems like it's a baked or painted finish, much like the old Sig's llaflon coating.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
HE is another form of nitro-gas carburized black oxide treatment of the major components. I don't believe there is any blueing and the only finish I know of is on the HK pistols, specifically the Mark/MK23.
I'm unsure of what kind of finish it is, it's like Black T and seems like it's a baked or painted finish, much like the old Sig's llaflon coating.
Another word for black oxide is bluing. Black oxide is one form of bluing. It's a utilitarian, matte, very durable bluing as opposed to other more commonly recognized bluing, like a hunting rifle, classy Colt Python or Smith, ect. From everything I've read, MIL-C-13924 sounds likely as what HK puts over top their nitrocarburizing...end state being what they call HE. I'd welcome any more information anyone has to offer, it's definitely not a teflon finish like Black-T though.

To the earlier question, it's most likely just a case of different lighting and also whether the gun has any oils or preservatives on it. When I leave my slide in the bare after using solvent to clean, it's a matte dark gray. If I oil it and then wipe it down so that it feels dry and not the least bit slippery, it's a satin black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts