HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I just purchased a new HK45Compact (I already have a VP9 & USP 9 combat). I read some of the comments concerning brands of ammo. I looked online and found different grain weights, 165, 180, 220, and 230. I will be using ammo with brass casings. Will my HK45C recycle using 165 weight ammo? If not what is the lowest grain weight that will work properly. I have no intension of using +P ammo. I want ammo with the lowest recoil that will function 100%.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just shoot 230 grain ball at the range and a quality 230 grain hollow point for defensive ammo (Speer Gold DOT or Federal HST). recoil isn't bad at all. Stay away from reloads n use brand name practice ammo and you'll b fine

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I never had a 45acp until my 45c, just 9mm. I was pleasantly surprised to find recoil using 230g ammo was a very minimal increase over 9mm. It's even less on the HK45s I purchased after my 45C.

Give 230 a try first, it's really manageable in the HK 45acp pistols.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I run 230gr HST +P for carry. The recoil isn't bad at all. I barely notice a difference from something like Federal target ammo or WWB.

Works 100%. In my opinion, 230gr +P Federal HST is the best defensive .45 acp round on the market.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I run the non-+P 230 gr Federal HST. The various gel test YouTube videos show virtually identical performance between the standard HST and +P HST, so I use the ever-so-slightly-lower recoil standard HST. Recoil is not bad with either

I realize you still haven't received an answer to your original question (what's the lightest weight that will cycle 100%), but:

(i) that will be a function of your individual gun, so it's hard to give a definite answer; and

(ii) as slow as the .45 is, you don't gain much in effectiveness by going lighter/faster.

The gel tests (without getting into their validity) generally show 230 gr (i.e., heavy-for-caliber) bullets have better penetration, ending up at just about the FBI's ideal penetration depth. Plus. in .45 with modern JHP, a lot of additional velocity is not required to ensure satisfactory expansion and energy transfer.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,740 Posts
Since we really do not do general ammo discussions around here... Why don't you see what feels best for you? Your gun will likely cycle just about any quality factory load available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.