HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a PBS News feature on the upcoming elections in Burma, some of the footage showed an honor guard and some troops in action. The honor guard looked like they had G3s, and the action footage definitely showed a machine gun of MG-42 heritage being fired, which unless it was Yugoslav would make it an MG1.

Anyone know about this? Surprised that a Communist dictatorship would be using NATO standard weapons.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate!

Yes, several HK rifles were mfg in Burma (Myanmar now days) under license first, then without license.

The G3 was named BA-63 and the HK33 version, MA-11 and so on.

Like many Asian, African and American countries they are several different models of ARs and MGs, both in NATO and Russian calibers, currently being used by the Myanmar Sec. Forces and Military units.

Picture of a locally made BA-72 (G3K or short) in 7.62x51mm.

Here, just for reference, the last versions mfg by Heckler und Koch of Germany and UK of the G3 and HK33 just before they went out of production:

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Thank you both gentlemen!

I knew I saw a G3 type rifle in the news years ago (when Aung San Suu Kyi got the Nobel Peace Prize).

Whamba: If you dont mind would you share with the rest of us the "L" numbers for the G3 (not the "K" which I've been told is the L100A1) and the '33/k?. Heck, if you don't mind I'd love to get the "L" numbers for all HK's in British service/manufacture.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Thanks anyway, mate.

·
Registered
34,499 Posts
Welcome to the site!!! :biggrin:
With the soldier's stature, he may want to utilize an MP5!!! :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

Myanmar police stand guard on a street in Mandalay after deadly Buddhist-Muslim clashes that raised fears of spreading unrest on July 3, 2014 (AFP Photo/Soe Than Win)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts