HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents,

Just moved from California to Georgia. My excitement just in terms of gun rights...goes without saying. :62:

Quick question for those in the South. I never had to worry about humidity in arid Sacramento...but I'm into something fierce here in Atlanta come summer.

Any tips are welcome. Right now...I'm just thinking lots of desiccant packages.

Thanks in advance...

Edit: Also...ammo & ammo cans best left in the basement?...less temperature swings?

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Welcome to free USA! Just keep a light coat of CLP on exterior and wipe down carry weapons when you think they have been exposed to perspiration. Ohio gets just as humid and this is my method.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Gents,

Just moved from California to Georgia. My excitement just in terms of gun rights...goes without saying. :62:

Quick question for those in the South. I never had to worry about humidity in arid Sacramento...but I'm into something fierce here in Atlanta come summer.

Thanks in advance...

Edit: Also...ammo & ammo cans best left in the basement?...less temperature swings?
I live in South Georgia where the humidity is worse than ATL. I keep everything inside where it's climate controlled. Keep things clean and wiped down and it's not a bad idea to give it a wipe down after carrying all day. The humidity here will make you sweat as soon as you step outside. If you decide to store ammo in the basement, make sure you have a way to control the moisture level.

Check out theoutdoorstrader.com It's a Georgia Based Gun Forum with most members being in the Atlanta area.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
After you clean the gun, a coat of Eezox will protect the metal from corrosion better than most anything else out there. Just don't apply it to the plastic parts.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Congratulations on the move! I've been looking into getting a dehumidifier as well and I stumbled upon this through google, not sure if I really need this here in Idahos arid climate though. Never had rust issue with my guns, but you never know when the time or need may arise.

Walmart.com: Remington Mini Dehumidifier: Hunting
Good product. Get one of those and wipe your gear down and keep a coating of your choice product on it. Enjoy GA. Great place!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Congrats on making it under the wall of the Occupied Territories!

Rust is more of a concern for me on carry weapons for obvious reasons. As most have said, a little CLP and a wipe, or a silicone cloth, can do wonders.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Welcome! I don't anything special with mine. I just wipe them down with a silicone rag.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gents,

Thanks in advance...

I'm in GA. I don't carry, but I do shoot a lot (weekly). I used to worry about rust and all that stuff too. I had a lot of desiccant packs at one point. I don't use any anymore and haven't in over a year. I just put my gun in a silicon sock bag when I store it. I clean it every other range visit, so every other week basically. I have not experienced any rust at all. I'm just outside of metro Atlanta.

As far as ammo, I don't really worry about it too much. It gets shot soon enough. I just make sure it's in a dry area.

Welcome to GA. We have quite a few nice ranges around here.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice...I'll probabky triple up with silicone wipe, CLP wipe, and desiccant packs!

@harkamus
As soon as the dust settles...I'll PM you for info - if you don't mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome! I don't carry everyday/all day but I don't see anything special required besides a wipedown if you/your carry weapon encounters lots of sweat on a daily basis.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Congratulations on the move! I've been looking into getting a dehumidifier as well and I stumbled upon this through google, not sure if I really need this here in Idahos arid climate though. Never had rust issue with my guns, but you never know when the time or need may arise.

Walmart.com: Remington Mini Dehumidifier: Hunting
Congrats on the move Fifthward! I used to have one of those dehumidifiers, but you have to remember to plug it in to dry it out. I would often forget to do that, so I finally installed one of these:
Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod

By the way, I'm in Charleston, SC, and the humidity is, err...thick. I use Breakfree CLP and a silicone cloth to protect my carry pieces, but I also tackled that issue by either using stainless steal, or having my main carry piece coated with NP3 Plus. Hope that helps.

Paddy

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
chopperduke, the gnats will worry the total crap out of you as you are sweating to death. At least that's how it is around Colquitt and Cuthbert. You won't be able to sight your nice and oily HK because your eyelids are caked with those pesky little things.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
I am looking into a free state myself. I can get around the restrictions in NY because of my LE stuff, but they still make it a pain in the ass. SO! Imma move.

Also, I was TAD to GA for a detail for two weeks. All I can say is, very humid, very hot, and watch out for the kitten sized mosquitoes. I F*cking hate mosquitoes. Probably going to get cancer from all of the deet I have used in my life.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like not too much to worry about. I will be applying for a CCW permit soon, after boxes are unpacked - so I'll address the sweat accordingly.

@navyman - I equally hate Mosquitos- and a couple nights ago, I came accross the flying, humongous roaches!

@paddy - I just have to get this off my chest, which is way off topic - your avatar pic is top shelf!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts