HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is a member of USPSA, HK has a full page ad for the Combat Competition in the newest Front Sight magazine (Nov/Dec 2007). Hopefully that means they're taking things more seriously. If it catches on that may mean aftermarket support too (extended mag release and mags/springs would be nice).

Also in the same issue, pg 31, is a pic of the STI European Open first place woman, shooting a .40 Expert. It looks like she has cocking serrations on the front of the slide, but what's that underneath the gun? It looks like some sort of weak-hand thumb rest that mounts to the rail.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I shoot USPSA and I don't see many HKs'. While the USP is reliable, more than accurate enough and offers "cocked and locked", I think the higher bore level works against it. I'm not sure the LEM is a plus or not, but I'ld rather shoot a USP with the Match Trigger myself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Cool Darth,
I'm going to have to get my copy of Front Sight out! I shoot IPSA and my scores have been improving a lot since I changed my grip to the grip that lots of the top target shooters are using now and with good ol'd fashion practice. I've gone from a novice "D" shooter last winter when I started shooting hand guns, to scores that put my close to "B" division. I'm the only one shooting HK in IPSA at my club but a few people have tried shooting mine and have commented on the low recoil (nice). It's good to see HK advertizing into the civilian and target shooters markets.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Also in the same issue, pg 31, is a pic of the STI European Open first place woman, shooting a .40 Expert. It looks like she has cocking serrations on the front of the slide, but what's that underneath the gun? It looks like some sort of weak-hand thumb rest that mounts to the rail.
Plus she have Bo-Mar sight instead of HK/LPA sight. This sight sits lower, so she can use +1 magazine extension and still fit The Box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've shot my HK/LEM in USPSA in L10 quite a bit this year and am very satisfied with it. Runs 100% and hits stuff everytime I do my part. '

It does sit higher in the hand, but with a correct grip it's not a problem.

In my opinion it's a it's an under-appreciated platform for USPSA/IDPA

·
Registered
14 Posts
It does sit higher in the hand, but with a correct grip it's not a problem.
What's the correct grip? I went to my first idpa match tonight with my usp 9f and I'm looking for some pointers. The first thing I thought I would do is swap out the sights. We were shooting at night, and I had trouble with one position where I was in a shadow and couldn't see my front sight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
More HK in USPSA

I recently joined the USPSA and have not recieved my first Front Site yet. I plan to shoot production or maybe L10 with my p2000v3 9mm. I've only been to one event but the people there said that they very rarely see a HK in competetion. I hope to surprise them this season! Though realistically I just think it will be fun. The new P30 looks like it is better set up for competetion with the longer barel and larger mag. release than my P2000.

Good luck with your shooting. Remember: technique is key and practice makes... well... better shooting?
p2000lefty

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am not too familiar with USPSA....but is there a room for P7 in this competition and which division would it be?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What's the correct grip? I went to my first idpa match tonight with my usp 9f and I'm looking for some pointers. The first thing I thought I would do is swap out the sights. We were shooting at night, and I had trouble with one position where I was in a shadow and couldn't see my front sight.
First off, I'm only a C class shooter, so don't expect me to tell you how to become a grand master :)

I recommend an action shooting how-to book, I like Brian Enos' book (www.brianenos.com). Any good book will talk you through working out your own grip. What works for me with my Expert is a modified Isoceles--thumbs facing forward pointing at the target, right thumb riding the safety, left wrist cocked way downards (the key item to controlling the muzzle flip). The first few times it really felt unnatural, now it's second nature to me. You'll know you've got it right if you can shoot and the front sight returns on-target without you having to manually re-index the gun and without fighting it (your grip should be fairly neutral). Go out to the range and experiment.

I am not too familiar with USPSA....but is there a room for P7 in this competition and which division would it be?
A P7M13 would work well in the Production division. Members of the Hanford Patrol shoot theirs frequently in USPSA matches around here. You could use a P7M8 or PSP but since Production is limited to 10 rounds you'd be handicapped 2 rounds compared to everyone else. Depending on the stage that might not even matter. If all you have is a M8/PSP, or if that's what you want to shoot, I'd just use it and have fun until you learn the game and decide what you want to go with to take it to the "next level" when you're ready.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
The P30L in V3 would likely be a good pistol for Production as the bore seems lower in relation to the hand than the USP. My P2000 in V3 in 9MM would be a good pistol, but it needs to be larger and I think a P30L might just be the ticket. Now if HK would just import it. :( Does anyone know if the P30L is used in IPSC overseas?

·
Registered
802 Posts
P30 is NOT approved for Production for both IPSC and USPSA.
P7's are ONLY approved for Production in USPSA, but NOT approved for IPSC (International).

Unless you are shooting a P7M13 or M10, it would be very difficult to be competitive in Prod due to the magazine limitation.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I shoot a USP .40 in Production; currently C class. Everyone at the range always comments on the pistol's accuracy - it is more accurate than I can shoot it. As far as I know it is the only HK at our USPSA range matches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Where are you getting your information? According to the uspsa/ipsc production division guns need to be inspected by the NROI and 2000 need to have been manufactured. Now I don't know that both of those conditions have happened yet but, I would think that the P30 would qualify as it is produced as a law enforcement gun.

I would like to use a P30 next season in USPSA.
-p2000lefty

·
Registered
802 Posts
P30 is not on the list. If it is not on the list, it is not approved for Production. WHEN it is inspected and proven that 2000 have been made, USPSA/IPSC will put it on the list. Until it is on the list, it is not legal to use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
P7's are ONLY approved for Production in USPSA, but NOT approved for IPSC (International).

Unless you are shooting a P7M13 or M10, it would be very difficult to be competitive in Prod due to the magazine limitation.
He would only be 2 rounds from the Production cap of 10+1 at the start. Not that big of a deal. Would be like shooting any other single stack handgun.

Also.. even if your gun isn't on the list.. most local clubs don't check guns at all prior to competition starting. Now if you start to get up in the more competitive matches then yes you will be checked. I shot with a Beretta 92 Elite II 9mm in Production that had an aftermarket trigger and others small mods and no one said a thing. If its just for fun and games and not seriousness then I wouldn't see a problem with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
USP Compact .45

I have used my USP Compact .45 in a few USPSA and a few IDPA matches. Have not seen any other HKs at the 2 clubs I have been to. I do not shoot to "win", just to get more proficient. I have other guns more suited to matches (Glock, Para P14), but since the USP Compact .45 is my carry gun (I have 2 of them), I prefer to use it in the matches. I have decided to just do the IDPA matches now, since it is more "defensive", shooting CDP. I have a LONG way to go before I consider myself a competitor, since I can only get to 4 matches or so a year, but I am only competing with myself. When I did try to compete a little, I just rushed, and had worse scores, so I just take my time, hit the targets, and do not care about my times. It is still much better than normal range practice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts