HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a hk usp .45 and i have been having jamming problems. I was using federal HST 230gn +p. The round was failing to feed, it would get stuck just below the chamber. what can anyone tell me about this problem. thanks for the help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tell us more about the problem.

Does it happen on the last or next to last round? Is so may be cause by weak mag springs. HK products are notorious for weak mag springs and often people replace them with Wolff springs, as I have done.

Other will chime in shortly I am sure.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
Were you using factory magazines?

Did this happen with any other type of ammo?

I don't think that it might make a difference. But was the gun new or used?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mag Springs

With my USP .45F, I bought it used.. (great deal !) and had an issue with one mag, I replaced it with a Wolf spring and BAM.. no problems

L

·
0 Posts
my H&K mags are definitely alittle weak. rarely will my pistols ever FTL, or slide not lock back fully, but there is definite noticeable weakness.

for the price of those magazines you'd expect the best money can buy.

where is a good reputable site to buy the wolf springs from? preferably west coast/midwest

·
Registered
62 Posts
You might also try a new recoil spring if this is a used gun. I had the same problems when my recoil spring got weak.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You might also try a new recoil spring if this is a used gun. I had the same problems when my recoil spring got weak.
+1. My buddy has a used HK USP 45 and had the same problem and after replacing the recoil spring and mag springs it was fine worked like new again... like everything wear and tear is common if you use it a lot or if its used. I have a brand new HK USP 45 and it works flawlessly, never had a FTL

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I just bought a hk usp .45 and i have been having jamming problems. I was using federal HST 230gn +p. The round was failing to feed, it would get stuck just below the chamber. what can anyone tell me about this problem. thanks for the help
Without knowing more detail, I would say chances are highest that your mag springs are not up to the job (this is a relatively common problem). The next thing I would look at is the extractor to be sure that there is no gunk behind the "tooth" and that it pivots smoothly with enough lubrication. The recoil spring is the least likely culprit since it is rather oversprung to begin with (very strong), and even when quite worn will usually function well. I personally prefer worn recoil springs since it makes the pistol seem to me like a softer shooter.

Wolff magazine springs are available at www.gunsprings.com

There is also a sticky at the top of this forum with a mag-spring chart and part numbers that you may want to take a look at. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
There's no round counter on a gun like an odometer on a car. Sometimes when you buy used, you have no idea how many rounds it's shot. Wear marks, or lack of, aren't always a good indicator. Springs wear out and replacing them is just a part of normal maitenence-this may never have been done. I would recommend replacing the recoil, hammer, extractor, and magazine springs. This doesn't cost too much and they are all fairly easy to do yourself. I don't think wolff has extractor springs, but www.hkpartsonline.com does. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HK jamming info(USP .45)

Ok guys heres all the info. thanks for the tips so far.
I bought the gun NEW 4 days ago, while i was doing the paper work i noticed that one of the clips would not lock the slide back, so i told the salesman and he said that he would call HK and get me a new one. Ok, happy so far. then i get it home and i live in the country so i have my own range, so i go out to try out the new toy and somewhere in the first 20 rounds the white dot insert on the front sight pops off! Gone into the grass and lost. at this point i am not impressed. So i called the store and they said that they would send the slide to HK and they would put a new one on for me. I run about 30 rounds of agulia fmj through it and no problem. then i procede to run federal HST 230gn +P. within the first 20 rounds i start to have jamming problems that progressively get worse to the point of 6 out of 10 rounds. It didnt seem to matter where the rounds were in the clip, it was just random. It looked like the round wasnt coming up far or fast enough in the clip and the slide would ram the bullet and wedge it just below the chamber. Pull the slide back a bit and the round would pop up and were good to go. But it just kept happening so i cleaned the gun and it still did it. So i went and bought 3 other brands of ammo 2 hp and 1 fmj. ran all 3 through the gun with no problem. Then i ran 20 federal HST rounds with no problem. Another thing i noticed that some time i cant get 10 rounds in the clip. so i take them all back out and reload, and then i can get all 10 in.
I realy love this gun, but these problems have given me some doubt.
what do you think. thanks for the help.

L

·
0 Posts
i definitely think its a mag spring problem. it seems that the weaker the springs are, the more picky they seem to get with ammo. so, do springs first USP's will eat all kinds of ammo. first time i took my expert out i tried 4-5 different kinds, all fed 100% :)

of course we're talkin new mag springs. but the curious thing is, that when i let my friend try the USP, the slide would not lock back on 2 occasions in 2 mags. however with over 10+ mags it never happened to me once.

i think limp wristing might have been partially to blame though

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try stretching the mag springs out a bit before ordering a new mag spring. Initially my mag springs were real tough to load, this may be from lack of excercise on my part, but I keep my mags fully loaded and I haven't noticed a decline in their ability to feed ammo. But imo a failure rate % that high would seem to indicate a problem other than just a spring tension issue to me. Are the rounds jamming on the ramp or even lower than that? My .45 has a 1% failure rate (still unacceptable imo) and the tendency is for the rounds to jam against the top of the forcing cone section of the barrel, some encouragement with the slide usually finished chambering the bullets but I think this can be viewed as gun abuse...so I stopped doing that. I think a gunsmith's touch can fix this but I haven't bothered yet. For the record im using 230grn fmj handloads with 6.8grn unique and they have the same rate of failure as the factory loads i was using before, winchester's 230grn fmj 'military ball' ammo, sold at your local wal. Anyway if the rounds are hanging up on the ramp, you may need to reprofile it..though I wouldn't recommend it without consulting an armorer or a gunsmith first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe

You mentioned that you cleaned it after shooting it. Did you lubricate it well? If not, lube it up real good and try again. Maybe it was dry?

Z

·
0 Posts
same problem before

i also had a similar problem as you had before.

the extractor "tooth" i always kept clean, i think the mag springs were still ok because the slide still locked back on the last shot.

i never really did find out if it was the ammo as all i had was local philippine made ammo, i did not try imports. anyway, after a while, i decided to sell my HK USP.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok guys heres all the info. thanks for the tips so far.
I bought the gun NEW 4 days ago, while i was doing the paper work i noticed that one of the clips would not lock the slide back, so i told the salesman and he said that he would call HK and get me a new one. Ok, happy so far. then i get it home and i live in the country so i have my own range, so i go out to try out the new toy and somewhere in the first 20 rounds the white dot insert on the front sight pops off! Gone into the grass and lost. at this point i am not impressed. So i called the store and they said that they would send the slide to HK and they would put a new one on for me. I run about 30 rounds of agulia fmj through it and no problem. then i procede to run federal HST 230gn +P. within the first 20 rounds i start to have jamming problems that progressively get worse to the point of 6 out of 10 rounds. It didnt seem to matter where the rounds were in the clip, it was just random. It looked like the round wasnt coming up far or fast enough in the clip and the slide would ram the bullet and wedge it just below the chamber. Pull the slide back a bit and the round would pop up and were good to go. But it just kept happening so i cleaned the gun and it still did it. So i went and bought 3 other brands of ammo 2 hp and 1 fmj. ran all 3 through the gun with no problem. Then i ran 20 federal HST rounds with no problem. Another thing i noticed that some time i cant get 10 rounds in the clip. so i take them all back out and reload, and then i can get all 10 in.
I realy love this gun, but these problems have given me some doubt.
what do you think. thanks for the help.
Wow that is bad! Talk about a poor quality one you got!

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Ok, Ok, it sounds like you got a lemon. I can tell you for certain, this is not a common or regular issue with any of the the USP line, let alone HK products.... I would take full advantage of the HK warranty... MY TAC and every other HK I own gobles up anything I feed it... Certainly, your problems are not representative of HK products..... good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts