HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared the HK brand light to a Insight M2 or Surefire M2 for a full size USP. The reason i ask is i have a Safariland tactical drop leg holster for a HK USP 9mm w/HK light. The HK light is very expensive compared to the Surefire or Insight M2 lights. If they are all the same size i would rather buy a cheaper light as this is just a practice rig. I just need to ensure they are all the same size before i make a expensive mistake. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FYI: The M-3 or TLR-1 will not fit in the safariland holster designed for the USP w/ UTL attached. I have tried. You could get creative with a dremmel but results may vary.... That being said. All three lights put off about 65-80 lumens which subjectively matter very little. I found that the beam on my UTL is slightly more focused and easier to pick up targets with at extended ranges. The upside of the TLR is that its waterproof. The M-3 is not nor is the UTL. They are "Water resistant" and I have never had either of them fail due to rain on duty.

Hope this helps... BTW, you need to shop around for the UTL, I have seen them go for $150.00 NIB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was informed the m3 will not work which is why i am asking about the M2 series as it looks identical to the HK light in pics. Thanks for the FYI.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not really sure which light your refering to then. Didn't know surefire makes an "M2" weaponlight. I know they make the M2 Centurion handheld light....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
M2

I just purchased the M2.

Positives: Quality Design, Made for USP/Fits perfectly with no odd modication, nice - bright beam pattern.

Negatives: On/Off switch awkward to use, not water proof to any degree although I have never had any problems.

About the On/Off swith. If you are using both hands this is a great switch; however if you were to be using just your firing hand it makes for a weird angle for you trigger finger to engage/disengage.

I could see this being a problem with room clearing if your other hand is occupied and you didnt want the light set to constant on.

Compare this to the toggle switch on a M3 and you see that switch is much easier to use the M3

FYI

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The HK UTL Mark II is EXACTLY the same light as the M2. Look on the side of the UTL and you will see that it is made by Insight. Streamlight is the civilian distributors for the Insight made lights. The M2 fits the USP/C rails and do not need an adapter. The only thing you get by paying $50 more for the UTL over the M2 is the opposite side of where it says "Insight" there will be the "HK" lettering. Other than the missing "HK" on the M2 the two lights are identical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The HK UTL Mark II is EXACTLY the same light as the M2. Look on the side of the UTL and you will see that it is made by Insight. Streamlight is the civilian distributors for the Insight made lights. The M2 fits the USP/C rails and do not need an adapter. The only thing you get by paying $50 more for the UTL over the M2 is the opposite side of where it says "Insight" there will be the "HK" lettering. Other than the missing "HK" on the M2 the two lights are identical.

Perfect big thanks!! :) just so happens this looks like a really good deal on the M2 for 105.00 if he has any left
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70688

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
There is a pressure switch available for the UTL/M2 so one handed isnt so bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again thanks. I received the M2 light and it is a perfect match to the HK light but a whole lot less $$$$$.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would also limit my shooting with the UTL attached as they do not last very long in my experience. I am on my third one and have recently upgraded to the SureFire X300 instead. Otherwise the UTL is fine for its purpose, provided that you don't put a lot of rounds down-range with one attached. YMMV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
M2 UTL on a USPc?

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me how the M2 UTL fits on a USP Compact? I'm looking for a light for mine, and while I like the idea of not needing an adapter for the USP rails, I was curious if the M2 is going to stick out very far past the front end of the pistol when mounted on a Compact. Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
It sticks out a good amount that's for sure, about an inch.

There is a pressure pad available for the UTL/M2 but it is sort of like a 1/8 inch RCA plug that plugs into the back. The picture shows it held on with a rubber band but it actually attaches with sticky back Velcro. I don't like it so I have never used it. I find the way the plug attaches and the cord to get in the way and more trouble than its worth to make it a permanent attachment. I find it much easier to use my off hand pointer finger to manipulate the light rather than fool with the pad attached.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sticks out a good amount that's for sure, about an inch.
Thanks for the reply and the photos - that helps a lot. I'll probably pick up an M2 because it's (apparently) easy to attach and detach - no messing with adapters. I've taken to carrying my USPc more regularly, so I'd like to have a light handy that I can attach if needed. Thanks!

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts