HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
then how come glock has this on their site?

POLYMER
Corrosion resistant, tougher than steel and still 86% lighter. More than 20 years ago, GLOCK pistols were the first industrially manufactured handguns with high-tech polymer frames.

or maybe the Hk ones weren't "high-tech" :37:

·
Registered
81 Posts
well if you look into it all of glock's selling points are outdone by their competitors, and imo there's nothing safe about glock's 'safe action'...I like my double action thank you very much :] we all remember that video of the DEA agent or whatever bureau he was from in which he discharged a glock safe-action pistol in a classroom full of students while demonstrating his proficiency and training in his glock 'safe action pistol'. http://youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU Anyway their plastic claim to fame would be true if the VP70 didn't come out some 20 odd years before. BUT to confound things even more, I pulled up the wiki glock page and found this:
The Glock pistol design was not the first to incorporate a plastic frame. Heckler & Koch used polymer for their VP70 pistol frame in 1970. HK's innovation of polymer frames and polygonal rifling seem to have been influential in the Glock design. Still earlier, Remington introduced their polymer-framed Nylon 66 Rifle in 1959. This was so revolutionary at the time that Remington dyed the plastic brown to resemble wood and fitted a cosmetic sheet-metal cover on the receiver to make it appear to be made from steel. Further, the most extensive use of polymers in a pistol was in the Ram-Line Syn Tech Exactor pistol with a barrel made from steel-lined plastic.
So there you have it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont like the fact that they get away with lying to everyone though

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
don't forget the plastic frame of the P9, I believe that came before Gluck too...

Powder Burn, I am not much of a Gluck fan either.... but to each his own...

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
...but don't get me wrong, its not a bad pistol. They're cheap, reliable, and parts & accessories are avaliable all over the place. Used glocks go for the low 300s. You can get 32 round magazines, lasers that replace recoil spring assemblies, tac-light mounts that double as holsters, etc etc. But like I illustrated in the previous 2 posts, they have their shortcomings and there are better designs/packages out there.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
i dont like the fact that they get away with lying to everyone though
But they're not technically lying - the Glocks were the first industrially manufactured polymer games.

Everybody knows that HKs aren't manufactured by any industry - they're made by those little German Gnomes.

Ok, I'm not sure how they can justify that statement, unless there's something lost in translation. As translated into English, it looks to be flat out wrong.

·
Registered
288 Posts
well if you look into it all of glock's selling points are outdone by their competitors, and imo there's nothing safe about glock's 'safe action'...I like my double action thank you very much :] we all remember that video of the DEA agent or whatever bureau he was from in which he discharged a glock safe-action pistol in a classroom full of students while demonstrating his proficiency and training in his glock 'safe action pistol'.
How is the safe action any different then LEM? I think the DEA agent is quite a poor example to say that glocks aren't safe and he would have shot himself in the leg with any gun because he pulled the trigger, whether it was DA/SA, DAO, safe action, LEM, DAK, SAO, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I don't know Glocks have a tendency to fire when you don't want them to, that would make me believe they are definitely unsafe. I never had an H&K, 1911 or SIG fire when I didn't want them to.
The safeties on the Glock do not make them unsafe. They work quite well. But that agent in the video - what a fool. That "accident" happened because he brought a loaded weapon into a classroom, then didn't check the chamber to be sure it was empty, then pulled the trigger while pointing at his foot. Prior to that his handling of it was stupid as well. He obviously thought it was unloaded, but didn't check. And I know "Momma says stupid is as stupid does", but that was just stupid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
how

The statement is probably using "industrially manufactured" or "high-tech polymer" as the basis. Something about the wording of one of those probably protects them. If they could not defend the statement, it would probably have already been removed. It's almost a moot point, as most people don't care who did it first.....it's who does best. I don't think Glocks are the best, neither do I think they are unsafe. I ran thousands of rounds through my 36, it never fired when I didn't want it to fire. Mine never had a tendency to shoot when I didn't want it to. I hate to state the obvious, but Glock would not have been one of the best selling pistols for the past 5 years if they were so 'unsafe' or unreliable. They work. Maybe the XD will slow their sales?

That being said, I like my HK much better. It is more comfortable in my hands, holds more rounds, and I can shoot it more accurately than the Glock. For me, HK works.

But you should not try to convince the world that Toyota is junk simply because you like Mercedes. They each have their place, functionally and economically.

L

·
0 Posts
I think the agent had the slide back, then engaged it with a full clip, which then chambered the round.

I've had quite a few glocks now, and I wouldn't carry one chambered. The trigger pull seemed lighter and easier to engage than a decocked da/sa.

·
1,205 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

HK was the first to use polymer in the frame, but also used substantial metal.

Glock may have been the first to build a frame nearly in its entirty out of polymer

·
2,832 Posts
I think the VP70 came before the Glock

the P9s was only partialy poly

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

HK was the first to use polymer in the frame, but also used substantial metal.

Glock may have been the first to build a frame nearly in its entirty out of polymer

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone write an email to glock yet asking? :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
VP70 did come first, but no one has come close to the sheer volume of plastic guns built. Glock is over 1 million built. But lets face it, VP70 is not exactly a gun on everyone's want list. P9's are more popular than the VP70.

Glocks are not inherently more dangerous than any other gun. Put a round in the chamber and pull the trigger, the gun goes bang. Finger off the trigger, gun will sit there and do nothing. Glock along with every other manufacturer like HK put a note in the owner's manual to not use reloads. People that know what they are doing have put lots of rounds of reloads without blowing up the gun. People that don't know what they are doing have blown up HK's too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know Glocks have a tendency to fire when you don't want them to, that would make me believe they are definitely unsafe. I never had an H&K, 1911 or SIG fire when I didn't want them to.

Are you kidding me?

Glock owns about 90% of the LEO market.

Of the 90% of cops that are issued Glocks.

You hear a majority of these stories happening with LEO's right?

How can you prove to me that its a Glock failure causing the gun to fire instead of poor training or negligence?

Just because a DEA agent shot himself with a Glock doesn't mean its the Glocks fault. Could have happened with an XD, M&P, Sig, HK LEM, Beretta G model, or any other firearm that didn't have a manual safety.

If you think carrying a loaded Glock in a quality holster is unsafe, you my friend have no business being around a loaded firearm.

Mechanical safeties are NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROPER GUN HANDLING. All of the stories you hear about Glocks going off are due to improper gun handling. Guess what, if 90% of the LEO market had HK LEM's or SW M&P's, you'd be hearing about alot more HK and S&W related ND's as well.

BTW, the only time my Glocks, HK's or 1911's have ever gone off have been when I deliberately pulled the trigger. There is nothing unsafe about that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the agent had the slide back, then engaged it with a full clip, which then chambered the round.

I've had quite a few glocks now, and I wouldn't carry one chambered. The trigger pull seemed lighter and easier to engage than a decocked da/sa.
Then do us all a favor and don't carry any firearm.

Glocks are not unsafe to carry in a properly made holster.

Period. End of story.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The difference is in the hi-tech polymer part.

I dont know the specifics, but the original HK plastic if I recall didn't fit that definition.

Its just a technicality, can't remember details, but it was discussed a while ago.

·
Registered
114 Posts
POLYMER
Corrosion resistant, tougher than steel and still 86% lighter. More than 20 years ago, HECKLER & KOCH pistols were the first GUN GNOME manufactured handguns with FAIRY DUST polymer frames.

There fixed it for you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts