HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking into buying a PTR 91 or a HK 91. I'm a complete noob to Hks rifles so bear with me. I want a .308 caliber semi auto rifle of some sort with good accuracy. Preferably sub M.O.A.. I would top it off with a Nightforce or Leupold MK 4. My questions are:
1. Will a Psg1 trigger group and stock fit on a Ptr?
1a. Is it even worth it on a clone if it does?
2. If I went with a Hk 91 does all that stuff easily swap out for psg1 parts (trigger group and adj. stock).
2a. Again is it worth it I'm not aware if the SR9 has the same barrel etc.
3.Am I just better of paying a real SR9 or SR9 (TC)?
4.Heard the recoil is pretty stout on 91's, I shoot M1 Garands and FN Fals alot is it worse then these? If so do I just need a buffer.
5. I have done alot of high power competition shooting (M1a's,M1Garands,Mouseguns) etc. Are any of HKs G3 type guns other than Psg1 capable of sub moa accuracy out to say 500 yards?

Thanks for helping this noob out!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Have you considered taking your stock trigger and having Bill Springfield share a little love on it?

Dollar for dollar, this is the BEST upgrade you can do to a tigger.

PSG triggers are the very good but are very costly.

As far as barrels, I think Urbach may still sell after market PSG barrels.

On a side note, every long range competition I have been to, I do not see alot of G3's shooting.
I have always felt the best enjoyment is shooting a G3 at man sized targets at 100-300 yeards using a red dot scope or even iron sites. Aim and shoot away like it was meant to do.

Sorry for not answering your questions.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem thats the kind of response I was looking for. I know what you are saying I would be lying if I said I have ever seen a ptr or 91 etc at a gun range let alone a match. I wasn't going to shoot it as a match rifle just wondered if it could hold that kind of accuracy.

O

·
0 Posts
I don't find the recoil on we just determined was C91 clone of sorts at all offensive. I remember the old M-14 knocking the hell out of me and Model 700 not much better. I find my clone very pleaseant with its heavy bolt and buffer that it already has.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There is much you can do to improve upon the basic design, both for ergonomics, accuracy, and perceived recoil. On the basis that you want a very accurate semi auto 308, you might look at the AR series made by a couple of manufacturers.

I have a PTR91, and am quite pleased with how it fits me, how it shoots, how accurately it shoots etc.

As it came in the box, it wasn't all that great. I modified it quite a little bit over the last year to get something I really enjoy shooting. It'll shoot right at an inch, maybe a little less, at 100 all day, with pretty much any ammo, and handloads seem to be no better or worse, until one starts talking distance, where the handloads really start to shine.

The costs of the modifications made were pretty high, but in the end I have something I love to shoot. One of the contributors above suggested handling as many of these types of rifles as you can. Maybe a FAL or a M1A, or the AR in 308 to see what you think you will like. I agree with that contributor.

I have posted this photo before. Even so, you can see some of the changes, the muzzle brake, the wide forend with bipod, the ambidextrous safety, the scope and buttstock, and the port buffer. Internally there is a comfort zone buffer and a Bill Springfield trigger job. As it is now is a far cry from where it started. You can probably do better right out of the box with an AR type rifle in 308, have something that will outshoot this rifle, and not cost as much to get it to do so.

Mounting scopes on these rifles is pretty dicey, whereas on the AR it is a simple bolt on proposition on the picatinny rail upper receiver. The ocular lense bell on your scope has to be relatively small, and the scope relatively short else you run afoul of the scope in the charging handle.

The floated barrel in the AR upper is conducive to great accuracy. Some really like the ergos of the AR series.

I guess if I had it to do over again, if I was seeking what you said you wanted, I would look long and hard at one of the DPMS rifles.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have done alot of high power competition shooting (M1a's,M1Garands,Mouseguns) etc.
Thanks for helping this noob out!
I have shot all of the above but the HK 91 Ptr 91 and I would just love to have somthing in the HK line if it will fit the bill. Your Ptr looks great what kind of stock is that?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have shot all of the above but the HK 91 Ptr 91 and I would just love to have somthing in the HK line if it will fit the bill. Your Ptr looks great what kind of stock is that?
Looks to be the Magpul stock. Runs in the low-mid $200 range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts