HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Increasingly I find it hard to search among the thousands of posts for answers so I'll go ahead and ask in the rookie section to avoid flaming.

1) there are several acronyms everyone refers to regarding HK weapons and in general as well as referring to date stamps and such. Anyone shed some light on an entry level individual? (sbr- short barrel rife. The only one I know)

2) Tax stamps, is it an actual stamp that has to be put on the gun?

3) SBR and full auto. Is it all included or do you have to pay $200 fee through ATF twice?

4) Barrel extensions/fake suppressors. Do these negate SBR when attached to complete 16" barrel so you can remove once proper paperwork is complete

5) MP5SD I see parts and barrels but no actual suppressor parts. Do you just apply vented barrel and housing/grip then meeting 16" guidlines or is vented barrel only for if you actually apply suppressor. Then a "SD" can meet 16" but just with a sd look?

6) Painting your receiver after assembly, is there a specific black paint?

7) complete parts list to do a build?

8) anyone have a high/low cost to complete their mp5 projects?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Do a search on date codes will explain BA=2010, tax stamps are what u get from ATF to own class 3, takes forever btw, that's all I can help with good luck

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
1.???
2. Actual stamp on a piece of paper.
3. No new full auto. $15,000 roughly for registered sear.
4.Yes
5. Must use suppressor.
6. Nope.
7. Too long. Buy a kit from hkparts.
8. Having it built by pro, between $2,000-3,000. Depending on options and kit cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you have a full auto bolt and a semi auto trigger pack?

Is it cheaper to build piece but piece or buy a kit. Seems like hkparts has inflated prices compared to black market. But not to sure I havnt written it all down for comparison yet.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Yes and there is a reason HK parts are more expensive. Because they're factory parts.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
3) SBR and full auto. Is it all included or do you have to pay $200 fee through ATF twice?
Machine guns can have any length barrel. One tax. But in the H&K world if you do that with a sear, and the host is not a SBR, then the sear must stay with the host.

4) Barrel extensions/fake suppressors. Do these negate SBR when attached to complete 16" barrel so you can remove once proper paperwork is complete
Yes, but only if 'perminantly' attached. i.e. Welded, pinned, soldered, such that it is not readily removable.

5) MP5SD I see parts and barrels but no actual suppressor parts. Do you just apply vented barrel and housing/grip then meeting 16" guidlines or is vented barrel only for if you actually apply suppressor. Then a "SD" can meet 16" but just with a sd look?
If you have a true SD with ported barrel it MUST be used with the supressor. The supressor on a factory SD is generally a non-importable/posessable part for a civilian, so when a police SD is being demilled into a parts kit the supressor is generally destroyed.

6) Painting your receiver after assembly, is there a specific black paint?
guncoat 2400 is popular from what I've heard.

8) anyone have a high/low cost to complete their mp5 projects?
Depends how close to factory you want, and above you talk about SD's, they are more than a regular MP5.

A full German parts kit will set you back about 1700. You still need a reciever, barrel, and 922 compliance parts, and those could run you another 4-600. Then labor to assemble. Figure $2500 as a mnimum get-in with a high percentage of German parts.

Or you can pick up a already built clone for the mid 1400-1600 range

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Cheaper to buy a built gun unless you have some mad skillz and do ALL the work yourself. You CAN save some serious Quatloos doing it that way... but you have to know what you are doing. And once you screw it up remember the Plumber's Rule...

$50 an hour
$80 an hour if you insist on helping
$120 an hour if you did it first and frakked it up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok new questions

Blowback vs roller mp5? Are these essentially the same just different internals? I read that blowbacks are no good so curious what I need to stay away from, brands, parts.

Different roller size? What determines the plus minus and what size you need?

Coharie Arms. The CA89 pistol. Does that have a full auto bolt?

Whats the best affordable out of the box mp5 clone and what price are they running. Coharie price? Atlantic firearms has a mp5 for 1200 and 2000 what's the difference?

I want to buy one or parts to make one eventually full auto.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Blowback vs roller mp5? Are these essentially the same just different internals? I read that blowbacks are no good so curious what I need to stay away from, brands, parts.
The blowbacks are newer to the market, and I've got no experience with them. I've stuck with the real thing, or clones of the roller locks.

Different roller size? What determines the plus minus and what size you need?
The measurement of your bolt gap. The rollers are used to adjust the gap into the specified range. 005-020.

Coharie Arms. The CA89 pistol. Does that have a full auto bolt?
All the ones I've seen do.

Whats the best affordable out of the box mp5 clone and what price are they running. Coharie price? Atlantic firearms has a mp5 for 1200 and 2000 what's the difference?
Affordable, and H&K clones... you new guys kill me. :rolleyes: hehehhehehe

The difference is generally the parts used, and the time/effort/quality of the build job. Many of the coharies have needed work, some minor, some major to get them fully reliable. Later production has been MUCH better quality than early production. I'd budget at least 2k to get a good, reliable gun.

I want to buy one or parts to make one eventually full auto.
Current prices a legal full-auto sear will set you back 13,000-15,000, so start saving your pennies. If you want to go Full auto, then I think roller locks are your only options, I don't think the blow back MP5 clones support sears. Quality of build matters when you go to full auto. Some guns that run fine in semi-auto might have problems running full auto due to tolerance of parts, timing, shelf height and on and on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies so far you all have been helpfully for this rook. Couple new questions I've come upon.

Date coding? What is it?

Flat welding- the weld kit pieces do they just get tacked on or does it involve cutting and other bending of sorts. Is there a how to on adding those parts? Such as specs and where precisely they go.

Trunion/barrel is this an easy install into the receiver? Stick I'm there and weld?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The blowbacks...........wait for it........blow.

Nuff said.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Date coding? What is it?
Marks on factory parts indicating year of manufacture.

Flat welding- the weld kit pieces do they just get tacked on or does it involve cutting and other bending of sorts. Is there a how to on adding those parts? Such as specs and where precisely they go.
Tacked, no. They get properly welded, not temporary held in place. Yes there is cutting involved. Yes there is bending involved.

Generally you need to make jigs to hold things in place. There are no public blueprints to follow. You will need to measure off a factory gun.

Trunion/barrel is this an easy install into the receiver? Stick I'm there and weld?
That is an extremely simplistic view of the process, but ya, sure.

These questions seem to indicate you have a limited understanding of welding, welding processes, and machine shop practices. H&K firearms are very mush not novice-builder friendly. If you want something built you might want to consider sending the parts off to be built.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i by no means can weld and know hey won't just be tacked on. Just trying to get a understanding of how things come together.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Yeah i by no means can weld and know hey won't just be tacked on. Just trying to get a understanding of how things come together.
ok, just wanted to make sure you were not headed down a path that was going to lead to a gun exploding in your hands when you shoot round #1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts