HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need some more help here.

Is the HK MR308 A3 in 13" barrel any good? Or is the barrel just too short? I'm shooting mainly up to 200 meters. Won't go much more than that. Anyone have some experience with the 13" 308? And how does this shorty 308 work with silencer?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Need some more help here.

Is the HK MR308 A3 in 13" barrel any good? Or is the barrel just too short? I'm shooting mainly up to 200 meters. Won't go much more than that. Anyone have some experience with the 13" 308? And how does this shorty 308 work with silencer?
I have a 12" 417 barrel with an AGB on my 762. It shoots great out to 100yrds when I remember to close the gas block. I haven't used my scope on it yet as I just mounted it a few weeks ago.

I also haven't had a chance to take it to greater distance, yet. But @Drooler has shot his shorty 762 out to 1000yrds.

I'm waiting for my suppressor (SureFire SOCOM 762 RC2), it's been over a year since I first ordered it. I'm now on my second order for it, first dealer screwed the pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 12" 417 barrel with an AGB on my 762. It shoots great out to 100yrds when I remember to close the gas block. I haven't used my scope on it yet as I just mounted it a few weeks ago.

I also haven't had a chance to take it to greater distance, yet. But @Drooler has shot his shorty 762 out to 1000yrds.

I'm waiting for my suppressor (SureFire SOCOM 762 RC2), it's been over a year since I first ordered it. I'm now on my second order for it, first dealer screwed the pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds nice. 1000 yards for a 12"! Wow! I'm really considering this MR308. :) Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have MR308 A3 with the 13" barrel and I've shot 250 rounds through it. When I tested it against my 16,5", the velocities were about 50m/s (160-170 fps) slower. But still, one should be able to take shots with from way further than the 300m that I've tried. If you're shooting @200m or closer, you'll have no issues. The accuracy is fine and it seems to work ok with a suppressor as well. Although, I would recommend you to use a suppressor that is designed to be used with semiautos, such as the Finnish Saimaa Still or AU Low-Pressure model (tried both), because there is no adjustable gas block in the MR308 (not even in the A3-version).

The rifle is quite heavy, even though it's relatively short, but it balances nicely. The weight of course translates into mild recoil; there isn't a noticeable difference if you compare it to the "fullsize" 16,5" model.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have MR308 A3 with the 13" barrel and I've shot 250 rounds through it. When I tested it against my 16,5", the velocities were about 50m/s (160-170 fps) slower. But still, one should be able to take shots with from way further than the 300m that I've tried. If you're shooting @200m or closer, you'll have no issues. The accuracy is fine and it seems to work ok with a suppressor as well. Although, I would recommend you to use a suppressor that is designed to be used with semiautos, such as the Finnish Saimaa Still or AU Low-Pressure model (tried both), because there is no adjustable gas block in the MR308 (not even in the A3-version).

The rifle is quite heavy, even though it's relatively short, but it balances nicely. The weight of course translates into mild recoil; there isn't a noticeable difference if you compare it to the "fullsize" 16,5" model.

I have a dual purpose silencer Ase Utra SL7 with BoreLock. Don't you think that silencer would work out on the 13" MR308?

Speaking of recoil, did you refer to a MR308 16.5 or MR223 16.5 recoil?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It might work, but I believe you'd be better of by getting their new SL5i Low Pressure-model, because it doesn't affect your gun's cyclic rate etc. so much. From what I've understood Ase Utra will have a booth at IWA and they'll showcase this new product then.

I was talking about the recoil of MR308 16,5" vs MR308 13", and there's basically no difference; the shorter version is only about 200 grams lighter. The 13" version is very nice and if you suppress it, it'll stay relatively compact concerning overall length...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might work, but I believe you'd be better of by getting their new SL5i Low Pressure-model, because it doesn't affect your gun's cyclic rate etc. so much. From what I've understood Ase Utra will have a booth at IWA and they'll showcase this new product then.

I was talking about the recoil of MR308 16,5" vs MR308 13", and there's basically no difference; the shorter version is only about 200 grams lighter. The 13" version is very nice and if you suppress it, it'll stay relatively compact concerning overall length...
Weird when I spoke to the Ase seller they told me the SL7 BL is the best model as it has the biggest volume per can.

I looked the SL5i up and it is a thread on silencer. I was more into the borelock as its pretty cool to have it on and off in a seconds. Also I still have my muzzle device protecting the threading when silencer is not used.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My mistake, the proper name of that model is SL5i-BL .30 Low Pressure, BL as in BoreLock. It's specifically designed to be used with .308 semiauto rifles and according to Ase Utra, it should be available in March.

·
Registered
50 Posts

what about the blast on the short 13'' MR308?? i think the short ones are suppossed to be run with a can on it - i remember shooting an old Stgw 57 sbr in 7.5x55 Swiss - the blast and noize was crazy and hilarious - flame thrower gun much :D everybody shooting next to me had to step a bit behind because the noize was this bad

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not as bad as you'd think, especially for the shooter. Of course it's a bit louder, but the 16,5" version isn't exactly quiet either. But, to be honest, I've only shot the MR308 13" on an open range; no roof, no walls next to me or anything, so it doesn't sound so loud. And I haven't shot it when it's dark, but no visible muzzle flash during daytime, though some other ammunition may cause a different outcome.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not as bad as you'd think, especially for the shooter. Of course it's a bit louder, but the 16,5" version isn't exactly quiet either. But, to be honest, I've only shot the MR308 13" on an open range; no roof, no walls next to me or anything, so it doesn't sound so loud. And I haven't shot it when it's dark, but no visible muzzle flash during daytime, though some other ammunition may cause a different outcome.
I once test fired a SIG 516 in a basement range with concrete wall unisolated. I had ear plugs and muffs and still it hurts the ears!

One thing that came to my mind is, how effective is 308 with only 13" barrel? Are we so much handicapped that the performance start to look like 7.62x39?

·
Registered
554 Posts
One thing that came to my mind is, how effective is 308 with only 13" barrel? Are we so much handicapped that the performance start to look like 7.62x39?
Define "effective". Are you asking about effectiveness against game animals, personnel or soft-skinned vehicles? Lethality? Stopping power? Penetration? Energy transfer?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I chronoed a few different factory loads in about +15 degrees Celcius weather and the muzzle energy was in the 2600-2700J range with just about every ammunition. While it's somewhat less than what you're able to get from longer barrels, it's still definitely more than the 7,62X39 is able to deliver. I bet that some of the users like the added penetration that you get (especially by using heavier bullets), even with the shorter barrel. Plus, I believe that there aren't too many 7,62x39 rifles which can match the accuracy of the H&K MR308 13", partly due to the fact that there aren't many match loadings available for the 7.62x39.

I think that H&K has been testing these SBR-platforms quite a bit in the recent years and might have found more of a sweet spot with the barrel lengths. Both the H&K 416 10,4" and 417 12" are changed to 11" and 13" respectively. And I think a few other U.S. brands have gone this way as well by offering new 5,56 SBRs in 11"/11,5" configuration etc.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
what about the blast on the short 13'' MR308?? i think the short ones are suppossed to be run with a can on it - i remember shooting an old Stgw 57 sbr in 7.5x55 Swiss - the blast and noize was crazy and hilarious - flame thrower gun much :D everybody shooting next to me had to step a bit behind because the noize was this bad
My 12" shorty had people moving down a few stalls at the outdoor range when I open fired. We have a wood roof built over the stalls. It has a SureFire 762 FH. It was fine for me but those around my thought I had a muzzle break on it and not a FH.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My 12" shorty had people moving down a few stalls at the outdoor range when I open fired. We have a wood roof built over the stalls. It has a SureFire 762 FH. It was fine for me but those around my thought I had a muzzle break on it and not a FH.
Keep in mind that HK has tapered bore barrels, so they are a bit oversize at the throat and undersize at the muzzle, so a cut barrel will have a lower gas pressure with suboptimal backpressure. (Assuming that your barrel was cut).

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Keep in mind that HK has tapered bore barrels, so they are a bit oversize at the throat and undersize at the muzzle, so a cut barrel will have a lower gas pressure with suboptimal backpressure. (Assuming that your barrel was cut).
My barrel is a 12" 417, so not cut.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i remember shooting an old Stgw 57 sbr in 7.5x55 Swiss - the blast and noize was crazy and hilarious - flame thrower gun much :D everybody shooting next to me had to step a bit behind because the noize was this bad
As Will Smith said in Independence Day -"I've got to get me one of these!"

Actually, I would be happy to have one of SAR's StGw 57 rebuilds in .308.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts