HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FWIW I had talked to customer service at HK and they stated that the MR556 barrels are nitrided. I then followed up with an email and received the same info

So much conflicting stuff on the the internet about this topic. The gun I got is brand new with the new medium contour barrel. Anyway I thought it was interesting because I just couldnt believe, or didnt want to, that HK would sell a rifle with no sort of treatment on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Proprietary and confidential. This email may not be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, posted, broadcast or transmitted in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Prior written consent of the copyright holder must be obtained for any other use of material. Copyright in all materials and/or works comprising or contained within this email with Heckler & Koch and other copyright owner(s) as specified. No part of this email may be distributed or copied for any commercial purpose. Distribution only by express authority of H&K AG or its subsidiaries.

So much conflicting stuff on the the internet about this topic. The gun I got is brand new with the new medium contour barrel. Anyway I thought it was interesting because I just couldnt believe, or didnt want to, that HK would sell a rifle with no sort of treatment on the barrel.
Looks like you didn't read or just don't care that they asked you not to share this publicly. You didn't have to post the email from them. This topic as been covered quite well on this forum and others for a very long time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
We’re the barrels always nitrided?

I ask because when they first came out they stated that they were untreated.

Now if they could slim the profile a bit it’s viable for many more than it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you didn't read or just don't care that they asked you not to share this publicly. You didn't have to post the email from them. This topic as been covered quite well on this forum and others for a very long time.
Its non commercial use but whatever. Dont know why they wouldnt want people to know that the barrel is nitrided.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We’re the barrels always nitrided?

I ask because when they first came out they stated that they were untreated.

Now if they could slim the profile a bit it’s viable for many more than it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont know the answer to that. The new contour is slimmer. There is a post somewhere that shows the weight difference.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Word.

[Runs to arsenal to arm up for the impending Nitride v. Chrome v. HK knows best/I never gonna shoot out my MR556 anyway debate]

(war drums and chanting heard in background)
"Chrome Lined, Chrome Lined, Chrome Lined, CHROME LINED..."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they chrome lined? I didn't see the email
They are nitrided. per the email and from a customer service rep. Just to be clear I searched the forums prior to emailing HK and it was all over the place as to if they were or not coated or treated. I knew they were not chrome lined. So to everyone who already knew this information, my apologies. I didnt and am posting it for the people that didnt know.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was told they aren’t finished but that was years ago. I’ve owned both a 556 & a gray market 223 ,there is little to no difference in the accuracy & obviously they “can” import them with CLB so it must be a maximize profit thing. People pay insane prices for them as they are so why would they change the program.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I was told they aren’t finished but that was years ago. I’ve owned both a 556 & a gray market 223 ,there is little to no difference in the accuracy & obviously they “can” import them with CLB so it must be a maximize profit thing. People pay insane prices for them as they are so why would they change the program.
There's a reason the MR223's and Swiss San stuff comes in as pistols. Not sure if HK could use that tactic in the same way. The 2005 barrel ban is one of the big roadblocks...remember, that was an (R) in office when that happened...

·
Registered
73 Posts
The new MR556 barrels are not nitrided. The rep must have been mistaken. HK isn't even the ones who finish out barrels. Now they could be nitrided from the factory, but that wouldn't matter because when Daniel Defense actually finishes the barrel, they do not nitride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's a reason the MR223's and Swiss San stuff comes in as pistols. Not sure if HK could use that tactic in the same way. The 2005 barrel ban is one of the big roadblocks...remember, that was an (R) in office when that happened...
They got the SP5s in, the fact the MR223 was brought in means HK could have opened that door as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They got the SP5s in, the fact the MR223 was brought in means HK could have opened that door as well.
There actually were some MR223s imported through some other company by doing exactly that! They go for like 10 grand though of course...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The SP5's are pistols the MR223's were (somehow) imported as "pistols". See what I'm getting at here? Is HK going to play the game to get MR556's in as "pistols"?...or have them as half-assed bastardized rifles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The SP5's are pistols the MR223's were (somehow) imported as "pistols". See what I'm getting at here? Is HK going to play the game to get MR556's in as "pistols"?...or have them as half-assed bastardized rifles.
yes I know they are offered as pistols, that’s what I’m saying. HK like practically every other European manufacture could have offer them as pistols.

There actually were some MR223s imported through some other company by doing exactly that! They go for like 10 grand though of course...
$5k from AU before the election. Same place I got my German 2020 date HK45

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
half-assed bastardized rifles all-day-long!

·
Minister of Kraut Space Magic
332 Posts
The new MR556 barrels are not nitrided. The rep must have been mistaken. HK isn't even the ones who finish out barrels. Now they could be nitrided from the factory, but that wouldn't matter because when Daniel Defense actually finishes the barrel, they do not nitride.

You are wrong, we haven't worked with Daniel Defense since we built the production facility in Columbus, GA back in 2018.

CS1

1 - 20 of 24 Posts