HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am racking my brain about what suppressor to get for my MR556 SBR

I am stuck between the QD YHM Phantom and Gemtech HALO

From all of the analysis I am come to the conclusion that the Gemtech be the most rational choice. I say this since it works on multiple platforms with no muzzle adapter and it would seem the adapter on the can is easily cleaned. The only negative is the clumsy way one has to put the can on the rifle.

Do you guys that own either suppressor agree/disagree?

Thanks for any insight

Swiss

·
Registered
202 Posts
Any reason you'd disqualify the AAC M42K? I am assuming you're not interested in Surefire based on the cost of the suppressors you're looking at but the M42K is only slightly higher than the HALO of you shop around a little.

The Surefire 212 and AAC M42K have been used on the 416 for a long time by its primary US users with great results. You can't go wrong with either one on a 416 so I can imagine they'd do well on yours.

The HALO is a good can for sure and it's very versatile, but I have never seen one on an HK before so I can't comment on anything other than its general durability.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well to be honest I am trying to get away from needed an adapter for each rifle I want to put the suppressor on. Since I my rifles already have a [email protected] bird cage it seems like the Gemtech wins out. I guess I am just trying to see if people have had problems with the Gemtech HALO set up.

·
Banned
879 Posts
I've been a gemtech koolaid drinker for some time. I know quite a few folks with the HALO that havn't had nary a problem. Seen it used in the sandbox quite a bit with no complaints that I can remember.

That being said, i'm seriously thinking about switching over to Ops-inc.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at their website, they all look to be threaded for the M4 platform

Do they have a QD model?

thanks

·
Banned
879 Posts
Personally, i'd like to switch out to Ops-inc M4-Ms on my 5.56mm guns.

Since I still use supersonic ammunition, the suppessor doesn't have the same advantages. Cutting down the sound of the combustion is all I really need because i'm not slowing the bullet down.

That being said, there's no need for a long and heavy can on the end of the rifle. The newer generation of smaller cans that are pretty much designed to suppress the combustion, such as the short surefires, the Ops-inc I mentioned, etc., fall in line with my desires. Smaller, lighter, shorter, and the Ops-inc can also sleeves over the barrel and shortens it even more.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree 100% I noticed it goes over the barrel for shorter length, very cool

I also agree with you on high velocity ammo and a shorter can. I may do that too

What are Ops Inc prices like on that shorter QD suppressor?

·
Banned
879 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Not to be a ick but I thought I read somewhere on these forums that hk said not to put a can on your 556 did I read something wrong. Sorry to change the subject a little but I would like some insight on this.

·
Banned
879 Posts
No idea. Havn't heard this.

What I do know is that suppressors maintain pressure in the system longer then without a suppressor and increase bolt speed. While piston systems in general mitigate this slightly and the 416 system moreso with thenipple/plug setup, it will still make it cycle harder and lead to increased wear in the system over time.

Part of the reason I cut my barrel to 14.5 was to slightly mitigate this issue by reducing dwell time. I also moved to a Vltor A5 stock system and use a Wolff XP spring which is even stronger then the factory HK spring by a litle over a pound.

All of the above adds up to tame the already "healthy" gas system in the 416/MR556 series of weapons and makes it so that when I do run suppressed (which is very little these days) it doesn't overgas the gun.

Running an MR556 as is with no modifications will lead to excessive bolt speeds and overgassing. It will work, but it won't be ideal and will wear on the system harder over time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got the AAC on my 416. I'm pretty happy, gun gets very dirty quickly suppressed though. To check the quality of the gun, I've never cleaned it, almost 500 rounds suppressed too. Gun is covered in carbon. Bolt, lower, and even around the ejection port is filthy. I don't even want to see what the gas piston looks like. No problem, not a single FTF, FTE. Here is a bad quality night video:

20120616_205705.mp4 - YouTube

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't imagine it would be a problem and I am not running my MR SBR 100% of the time with a suppressor. If SF used the 10.4 416 suppressed I can't imagine the MR SBR would have any issues.

And yeah, wear will def. increase but thats what parts are for. Plus I don't shoot a lot of 5.56 per year, maybe 1000 rounds if I am really busy. Now 9mm, fuggetaboutit

·
Registered
23 Posts
The HALO wont fit on the MR556. The barrel is too wide to allow the mounting collar for the can to sit on the barrel. I tried to test fit mine today and its a no-go. Im definately gonna sell my can before any of my beloved HKs. Im probably going to go with AAC since they make an adapter to run the M42K or Mini on the MR556 and my G36C.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have only used the 212 so I can't claim to be an expert but it sound smooth and I haven't seen one break yet. It's what many instructors that I know depend on and it's the only one they've endorsed when picking their brains about the very same question you have.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does anyone know if the Surefire SOCOMs (e.g. SOCOM556-MINI) reduces back pressure as advertised, or is it mostly hype? Here's their claim:

"With an overall length of just 5 inches, the SOCOM556-MINI is 1.2 inches shorter and 2.5 ounces lighter than the SOCOM556-RC. It features advanced internal venting to reduce back pressure, reducing the suppressed cyclic rate and gas blowback on the operator. The new design also includes an integrated blast shield in the back section that increases durability."

http://www.surefire.com/socom556-mini.html

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Does anyone know if the Surefire SOCOMs (e.g. SOCOM556-MINI) reduces back pressure as advertised, or is it mostly hype? Here's their claim:

"With an overall length of just 5 inches, the SOCOM556-MINI is 1.2 inches shorter and 2.5 ounces lighter than the SOCOM556-RC. It features advanced internal venting to reduce back pressure, reducing the suppressed cyclic rate and gas blowback on the operator. The new design also includes an integrated blast shield in the back section that increases durability."

SureFire SOCOM556-MINI Sound Suppressor / Rifle Silencer
On a relative basis, I cannot comment since I have never fired other suppressors.

On an absolute basis, firing the MR556, the HK416 10.4" and the HK416 14.5" with. And without the Surefire SOCOM suppressor is a huge difference.

Fired both the mini monster and the "regular" monster. Gas blowback hit me in the face. One had the Gas Buster charging handle, but it was definitely a difference. There is a solution with the seal, but I haven't tried it yet (suppressors are still in jail for the next 6 months).

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts