HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a USP in 9mm. First HK and looking forward to shooting it. I am not a newbie to handguns and probably have had every common make of them. Like the Var 1 setup on mine and hope thaat I can shoot it well.

My "new" USP has a KC date code, so 1992. Everything that I have read said that 1993 was when the USP was widely available. Are there many KC's out there? Also, I have read of some updates that HK made to the USP over the years. Are any of those necessary, meaning if I have a really early gun is there any reason I should send it to HK for an upgrade?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Welcome. There were some upgrades but nothing that's necessary to upgrade as long as it's functioning like it should. Even the early ones are reliable tanks. Have fun.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would call HK customer service and talk to Travis about your concerns with the older USP. He will give you an absolute honest answer on what he would do if it was his. He is an awesome guy.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just picked up a USP in 9mm. First HK and looking forward to shooting it. I am not a newbie to handguns and probably have had every common make of them. Like the Var 1 setup on mine and hope thaat I can shoot it well.

My "new" USP has a KC date code, so 1992. Everything that I have read said that 1993 was when the USP was widely available. Are there many KC's out there? Also, I have read of some updates that HK made to the USP over the years. Are any of those necessary, meaning if I have a really early gun is there any reason I should send it to HK for an upgrade?
Your USP might have a standard land and groove rifling barrel. I would keep it instead of upgrading to a polygonal bore......if you ever wear out the rifling on this one, then buy a new barrel which will have a longer lasting polygonal bore.

The only thing I would do is replace the firing pin with a newer one, which was developed a decade after yours was on the market. The earlier ones are prone to breakage through a lot of dry fire training. I'm not talking about finger blasting the USP for fun....I'm talking about dedicated dry fire sessions resulting in thousands/tens of thousands dry fires.

If you don't dry fire a lot, or don't shoot a lot, you're fine. Enjoy, that's certainly an early one.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Double post. Mods please delete.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Your USP might have a standard cut rifling barrel. I would keep it instead of upgrading to a polygonal bore......if you ever wear out the rifling on this one, then buy a new barrel which will have a longer lasting polygonal bore.

The only thing I would do is replace the firing pin with a newer one, which was developed a decade after yours was on the market. The earlier ones are prone to breakage through a lot of dry fire training. I'm not talking about finger blasting the USP for fun....I'm talking about dedicated dry fire sessions resulting in thousands/tens of thousands dry fires.

If you don't dry fire a lot, or don't shoot a lot, you're fine. Enjoy, that's certainly an early one.
TGS, sure did a great write up here!! Only part i will add is Welcome to the Forum and the World of HK..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts