Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I just purchased a P30LS V3. Great gun, very accurate and easy to shoot.

I have heard conflicting information on whether one can fire reloads with out issue, or if factory loaded ammunition should be used exclusively?

Cheers

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,854 Posts
The manual states no reloads...

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I have used reloads before without any issues. Meh.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello

I just purchased a P30LS V3. Great gun, very accurate and easy to shoot.

I have heard conflicting information on whether one can fire reloads with out issue, or if factory loaded ammunition should be used exclusively?

Cheers

I would NEVER shoot anyones reloads other than my own.

If something does happen, it's on your dime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think any Firearms mfg says it's ok to use reloaded ammo. They will not warranty your gun if you blow it up using reloaded ammo, way too many variables.

As far as actually functioning while using properly assembled reloads, yes they will run just fine. My opinion though is only shoot your own reloads never, trust another persons reloads.

·
Registered
589 Posts
OK, I'll admit it. I use Georgia Arms reloads in .45 and 9mm. Gag reflex, I can hear and feel it now. Probably 10k rds on, between the two calibers.

Had two dead primers in .45. No issues w/ 9mm.

The main concern w/ reloads is one that is over charged, leading to an over pressure situation, or uses a weak casing so that the detonation blows through the casing, probably at the base of the cartidge in the chamber. I've heard of issues w/ the odd slug down the barrel w/ one company from a dud charge.

Be prudent, and check on the reputation of the supplier. And be willing and able to take responsibility if something goes wrong in the gun.

But, at the end of the day, it's not blinking likely.

But, way more experienced responders than I will likely chime in and make me look like an idiot. So be it.

Go shoot the thing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I swore off reloads after I had a bullet leave the casing and travel about a 1/4 of an inch down the barrell of my P7M8. Luckily the bullet was just close enough to the chamber to prevent the next round for seating properly. If it had been a little further the gun would have likely exploded in my hand. Do a you youtube search of the HK416 under water test video. The 416 cycles fine but the M4's upper receiver explodes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Owning and shooting guns is a fun and expensive hobby. I wish i had the funds to go shooting more often than i currently do. Even buying the cheapest brass ammo(CCI Blazer Brass) at my gun shop still only affords me the chance to go to the range about once a month. As much as i wish i could shoot my USP more often, I would never go the route of using reloads just to shoot more. You already decided not to compromise on your weapon choice, do not compromise on the ammo either. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
As others have stated and I agree I would not shoot anyone's reloads but my own. 4 years reloading now and I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting, and reloading hasn't necessarily saved me money it's just let me shoot more dollar for dollar in comparison to buying factory ammo.

Most people scared of reloads know little about it and are just going off horror stories on the net. Like anything else if you learn the right way to do things and pay attention to detail you will not have any issues.

If you want to play billy bob and chug down the beers with your buddies while you reload ammo you're asking for trouble.

There's nothing more satisfying than getting a load dialed in for your gun and shooting one ragged hole all day long.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
As others have stated and I agree I would not shoot anyone's reloads but my own. 4 years reloading now and I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting, and reloading hasn't necessarily saved me money it's just let me shoot more dollar for dollar in comparison to buying factory ammo.

Most people scared of reloads know little about it and are just going off horror stories on the net. Like anything else if you learn the right way to do things and pay attention to detail you will not have any issues.

If you want to play billy bob and chug down the beers with your buddies while you reload ammo you're asking for trouble.

There's nothing more satisfying than getting a load dialed in for your gun and shooting one ragged hole all day long.

YMMV
Right on.

No manufacture says to shoot reloads through their guns. Even those that know folks will be reloading for their guns say not to. As stated above, they cannot take into account what some wingnut is going to make up or mess up.

With that being said, my guns don't get anything but my reloads. The only factory ammo I buy is defensive ammo. I take complete responsibility for my work, and if I mess up I don't expect HK to help me out. I reload safely for my guns, and also take pride in my work.

I would never shoot another's reloads however, especially the guys selling at gun shows. If you are wanting to start reloading then I suggest in finding a competent mentor and a few good books.

·
Registered
62 Posts
After you invested in such an expensive rifle, I would not risk putting any kind of reloaded ammunition in that gun. I know its alot cheaper, but I wouldn't want my handgun destroyed by it. Warranty is voided as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been shooting reloaded ammo exclusively in both my USP and my P2000. Never had a single hiccup. Reloads were purchased from a local supplier well known in my area for his reloads. So far, close to 5,000 rounds and no problems. If you are too lazy to reload (like myself), just make sure to buy them from a reputable seller. If I recall correctly, you must have a Type 06 FFL to commercially sell reloaded ammo.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
1. no reloads
2. no safe queens

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I ran 8k lead reloads I made through my p30l. It got dirtier faster and I had to pay closer attention to cleaning the barrel but it was worth it. Now I use fmj's because the other stuff is gone. (These were my reloads)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Most people scared of reloads know little about it and are just going off horror stories on the net.
Exactly. And some of these dire predictors of doom $ gloom will tell you you're crazy for using reloads in your fine, no-compromise weapon... and turn around and put cheap eastern european steel-case crap in theirs.

I usually don't even respond to such nonsense anymore. I'm just happy for those folks who can afford to shoot store-bought ammo... because I darn sure cannot.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
FWIW---I have found that true FMJ ammo vs plated works best through the type of rifling in the HK bore. Hornady FMJ is has about the thickest copper jacket I have ever used, and these bullets are super accurate through the HK barrel. FYI.

Exactly. And some of these dire predictors of doom $ gloom will tell you you're crazy for using reloads in your fine, no-compromise weapon... and turn around and put cheap eastern european steel-case crap in theirs.

I usually don't even respond to such nonsense anymore. I'm just happy for those folks who can afford to shoot store-bought ammo... because I darn sure cannot.

The funny thing is my reloads are more accurate and are tailored for my gun (for slide speed, and OAL for accuracy) than any factory loads I have tried. I like being in control of the ammo QC for the majority of the ammo that I shoot through the gun; the only ammo that I don't control is the premo defensive stuff. I can see every part of the process, and that makes me happy when running the gun as fast as it can go.

I ran 8k lead reloads I made through my p30l. It got dirtier faster and I had to pay closer attention to cleaning the barrel but it was worth it. Now I use fmj's because the other stuff is gone. (These were my reloads)
If you want to PM me I can give you some powder suggestions that don't get as dirty. I guess the definition of dirty is relative from one person to the next, but my stuff is actually cleaner than with factory practice ammo, IMO.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Right on.

No manufacture says to shoot reloads through their guns. Even those that know folks will be reloading for their guns say not to. As stated above, they cannot take into account what some wingnut is going to make up or mess up.

With that being said, my guns don't get anything but my reloads. The only factory ammo I buy is defensive ammo. I take complete responsibility for my work, and if I mess up I don't expect HK to help me out. I reload safely for my guns, and also take pride in my work.

I would never shoot another's reloads however, especially the guys selling at gun shows. If you are wanting to start reloading then I suggest in finding a competent mentor and a few good books.
This...manufacturers keeping lawyers happy is all that statement in the owners manual is for...I feed my USPc a steady diet of my reloads and I have yet to have a single failure...however I also had experienced help to setup my press and calibrate everything and help with QC

Its a substantial investment to get into, but in the long haul if you shoot as much as I do, it pays for itself in no time...I reload FMJs and plated bullets for .40 and still comes in cheaper than 9mm off shelf

If you want to PM me I can give you some powder suggestions that don't get as dirty. I guess the definition of dirty is relative from one person to the next, but my stuff is actually cleaner than with factory practice ammo, IMO.
I can make some suggestions for researching as well if desired...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I shoot my own reloads in everything I own.. but as recommended, know what you are doing before you attempt this, and never shoot anyone elses

·
Registered
854 Posts
I shoot my own reloads in everything I own.. but as recommended, know what you are doing before you attempt this, and never shoot anyone elses
I allow a couple friends LIMITED access to my press--with myself present...if they bring their own materials and kick in on brass, I have shared plenty of knowledge passed to me by Dad this way, saved them some money for ammo so they can actually go shooting when we want to, and helped them understand why I never had some of the issues they did from factory (cheapo) ammo...I echo that I would NEVER reload for somebody....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.