HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
No, they are only breifcases. If you put an sp89 in it then the sp89 must be registered as an AOW, SBR or must have a registered full auto sear to be in complete with NFA regulations. There are a few out there on the interwebs I'm sure.

Reactions: rhouston8

·
Registered
324 Posts
I went down this road about a year or so ago. Here's the thread of me banging my head against the wall trying to get it figured out.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/452257-so-i-ve-got-operational-briefcase-now-what.html

The amount of absolutely opposing advice I received (Not necessarily here on the forum) was unreal. I had people at places like the Silencer Shop telling me everything from I didn't need to do anything more than register the firearm itself to the case had to be registered and engraved with special letters sent to ATF. BATFE themselves were AMAZINGLY unhelpful and non-responsive. By the time it was all over, it wasn't even fun anymore.

The case however is absolutely cool and Tony (AGG) is 100% correct. There are a lot of, well, not fakes per se, but not HK original factory cases floating around. The originals have a few distinct indicators (type of screws, trim, internal mount, etc.) that you can look for. Also, in your search, be aware of the trigger arm actuator inside the case. If it's one of the early, straight versions you'll need to use a non-ambi lower. The bent trigger actuator arms accommodate an ambi lower.

And on the pricing, if you can find an original HK version in the $3k range, that seems to be about the market price. Even the copies seem to command premium pricing.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
No I don't Tony, but I do recall they were above 3k i just figured maybe you got lucky and found one for 2500

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went to MP-5 operator course back in the mid-90's in Sterling and they let us shoot a mag each through that thing. Really cool concept but it doesn't shoot like I thought it would. I thought you could hold it with one hand and shoot it from your side, but the recoil makes it sorta unrealistic after the first shot or so. They showed us how to pull the base of the case into your belly and then hold it with two hands while firing from the waist. Actually worked pretty good, I remember that we didn't have a single fail to fire in about a 20 man class.

They are indeed a cool idea, but I would definitely recommend handling one before spending that kind of money. Kinda clunky.

Kindest Regards, Stonewall 06

·
Banned
34,594 Posts
I went to MP-5 operator course back in the mid-90's in Sterling and they let us shoot a mag each through that thing. Really cool concept but it doesn't shoot like I thought it would. I thought you could hold it with one hand and shoot it from your side, but the recoil makes it sorta unrealistic after the first shot or so. They showed us how to pull the base of the case into your belly and then hold it with two hands while firing from the waist. Actually worked pretty good, I remember that we didn't have a single fail to fire in about a 20 man class.

They are indeed a cool idea, but I would definitely recommend handling one before spending that kind of money. Kinda clunky.

Kindest Regards, Stonewall 06
The subject cases were made for "quickies"--- in and out--- not as a "defensive weapon"--- but I agree with your assessment!!! :biggrin::wink:

Tony

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been wanting one for years so I decided to snatch this one up about a month ago. I haven't put anything in it if course (not until I file the proper paperwork), but I haven't figured out exactly what that is. I have a reworked sp5k remarked mp5k N that I want to sbr, I also have an sp5k that I thought about registering as an AOW with the front grip for the briefcase. I don't really want to throw any more money at stamps than i have to, but if I SBR one of these things I will have to take the stock off for it to fit in the briefcase. So at that point does it become and unregistered AOW? Or does SBR trump AOW and therefore legally be able to remove the stock and keep the forward grip?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts