HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my HK P2000 since February of last year. It seems once I shoot 2-300 rounds it starts to jam on me. And once it starts it only gets worse until I clean it. Has anyone else had this problem? Are these guns really that particular? It is never really that dirty when I do clean it. I usually use Winchester ammo., and have recently used Remington, but neither seem to be any better or worse when it comes to this. I love the gun for all it's features, but I'm to the point that I want to trade it. Any ideas before I let it go?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You mention 2 -300 rounds.
Does it happen towards the end of the 200 round plus sessions ?

Does it happen when someone else shoots the gun ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
P2000 will "eat" anything that you feed it, so ammo is not the issue. I use WWb 115gr for practice and Federal HydraShock for defense.

I have two possible solutions:

1. Next time you shoot, pay careful attention to how your holding the gun, make sure you have a "stiff" wrist. "Limp wristing" will cause failure to feed. This "limp wristing" could be happening without you even noticing, so before you write it off and say theres no way your doing that, just try to pay extra attention the next time to be sure. Ecspecially towards the end of your shoot when you could be possibly getting tired.

2. Another issue that could be causeing this is weak mag springs. If after you carefully review your grip, try changing out your mag springs. Weak springs have been a problem of HK for a while and many members use WOLFF +10 as replacements, with only good reviews.

Try these two things before giving up on a great firearm. Good Luck!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel confident that I am not limp wristing, although it seems the logical explanation. I have been shooting now for a few years, is it realistic that I'd still be that weak? My son has shot it and it does the same thing to him, but doesn't with my boyfriend. I shoot a Glock also and never have that problem. And I shot (today) a 40 caliber version with a lot more kick and had no problem shooting 30 rounds on a timed reload. But a few minutes before my own HK jammed on every shot.

Most often it starts in the middle of 1-200 rounds and by 2-300 I just give up, angry.

If I am limp wristing it, do you have any suggestions? Is there a certain hold that might help me out?

I do rest my thumb on the trigger guard to control the recoil a bit. I find that helpful in general, but not when it comes to it jamming. But it doesn't make it any worse either.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I try the smaller grip? My HK came with 3 different grip sizes. Right now I use the medium one.

Thank you for the suggestion re: the mag springs. I will look into that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You just have to be consius of it and find out if that is what it is. There are better shooters on this board that could intruct you better than I. About you shooting the .40, you could have just anticipated the more recoil and tensed up, making your wrist stiffer. I would also think about changing the mag springs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What lubricant are you using for the weapon? If you're using a lot of lubricant (components look wet) or it's a grease, you might try using less, or lubricating in areas that won't pick up powder residue when the weapon is fired. Some lubricants can also change properties in the presence of heat, or may be good for friction resistance in a low duty environment, but not suited to heavy duty as in a firearm. Certain rod and reel lubricants that are in common use fall in that category, as do other types of lubricants. Not saying that's it, but it's a possibility.

I may have missed it, but you didn't appear to describe the type of malfunction ("jam" doesn't tell us much). Is this a failure to feed, extract, double feed, stovepipe? What's going on?

Because the function appears to deteriorate with continued fire, and then improves upon being cleaned, I suspect a buildup of residue and crud from the firing process. Can you provide more information?

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's not so much having a limp wrist. Limp wristing that everyone likes to blame it on is really a bad grip. More often people tend to hold the gun way too low. This requires the gun to work harder to cycle a round, and you have to keep the wrist much more rigid for the gun to cycle. If you change your grip, see the links in the FAQ, grab the gun as high as possible, even with a completely limp wrist the gun will still cycle 100%.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd send it back to HK. All gun makers will turn out a bad apple/lemon once in a while.

I've tried to limp wrist my HKs and they still just keep on firing!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd send it back to HK. All gun makers will turn out a bad apple/lemon once in a while.

I've tried to limp wrist my HKs and they still just keep on firing!

Theres no reason to send the gun back, I am confident that it can be corrected with new mag springs and/or grip adjustment. She has stated that the problem exists when her and her son shoot the firearm, but NOT when her boyfriend fires it; and it only happens after 100 or 200 rounds. This makes me believe it is not the gun but the mag sprongs or her wrist getting tired after that much shooting and her grip relaxing a little.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all of the responses. I am going to go out today and try shooting it without cleaning after yesterday. If it DOESN'T jam right away, I figure I can blame it on myself, since when I put it away yesterday it had jammed with every shot. Unless heat is a factor...

If it jams right away I am going to clean it and then go back out and shoot. That way I could say for sure that it is the pistol. Again, unless heat is a factor...

To answer you question - it stovepipes and has failure to feed. Sometimes I have to drop the magazine because 2 bullets get bunched up so tight in there that I can't easily loosen and dump them out. Other times I just hold the slide back and dump out an empty shell and it's good to go.

I wonder about the heat issue. It has only jammed once in competitions. In these competitions we usually only shoot 18 rounds in a row at the most, and repeat that at the very most 6 times. So less than 100 rounds with lots of time inbetween and I never have a problem with it. But that could also be me not getting tired...

For oil I use Rem Oil with teflon. I do notice a lot of gold/yellow flecks when cleaning, but they don't seem to collect in one area inparticular.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't believe it is a heat thing. I usually shoot 200 or 300 rounds a session. I have 4-13rd. mags, so I put 52 rounds through it before reloading and have never had a problem. I'm begining to think it is the springs more and more, but don't neglect your grip.

Keep us posted on what happens. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 40 cal P 2000sk has jamming problems too. It is always the final round in the mag . It has been back for repair to the HK repair center twice. Wolff doesn't make mag springs for the SK or I would put them in . I believe that's the problem but have swapped mags twice and they only work for a short time.
I suspect that I just have a bad one
Jim

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you! I was going to ask where I could purchase them. That is my next step.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well... I took it out yesterday morning and shot less than 100 rounds (before cleaning it) and it jammed consistently - mostly failure to feed. I paid close attention to how I was holding it, as well as the "solidness" of my wrist. I admit I had not been holding it as high as I should have (thanks for mentioning that). I felt a great difference in the absorption of the recoil (felt it really push back into my hand more), but it did not decrease the jamming. Although I think it decreased the "stove pipe" type jams, and it did more failure to feeds.

I then cleaned my gun thoroughly and oiled it lightly. I also put the smaller grip on it. My pistol came with 3 different grip sizes, and I've been using the medium size one (even though my hands are average size).

I then shot the clean pistol about 100 rounds and paid close attention to my grip and wrist. Out of the 100 rounds it failed to feed 3 times, and the slide failed to lock back on the last shot 2 times. The failure to feed was almost always the last or second to last bullet.

All of this experimenting tells me that weak springs are VERY possible, it likes to be super clean, and me as a handler are ALL factors.

I am going to order new springs and practice more with the small grip on and hope the combination straightens it out. I don't think I should have this much trouble though. I am a good shooter and have shot other pistols without this problem. I am also in good shape, but I know in general female wrists are not as strong as males. Should that really make such a difference though? I think I'm getting increasingly frustrated, but I'll give it some more time.

Does the HK P2000 have a lot more recoil than other pistols? Specifically the Glock 9mm.

Thanks for everyone's help & suggestions!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone have any other suggestions on springs if the ones mentioned above are not available for the P2000??

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more question...

I was just looking through the Wolff website and came across text re: the recoil spring. It said that those springs are replacable and can be bought in different "strengths" based on the fire arm and the shooter.

Is that something to consider?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts