HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Tried out my brand new P30 at the range and it was finiky to say the least. Most definitely a beautiful handgun but I'm curious about experiences on the range from others. The gun did not like Remington 115 FMJ to say the least: there were numerous stove-pipes. I don't have any extra mags for the gun, just the two it came with. With the Remington 115 FMJ, out of 6 different run throughs, I think I only made it through a full mag without any stove-pipes once. Now, the Winchester (white box) 115 FMJ was a very different story; it did just fine without and stovepipes/jams. It fired just fine. Accuracy of the gun, when firing ok, was good.

I had purchased the Remington 9mm 115 gr. at ****'s sporting goods. The other thing I noticed shooting the Remington 115 gr. is that it extracted weakly (for lack of a better way to put it). In other words, the round would extract and barely fly out and it would extract towards the top of my head. It had this weak, kind of popping sound when fired. The first thing I thought was an extractor issue.

But then, when I fired the Winchester 115 gr., the sound of the gun had a much stronger sound to it and again...absolutely no stove-pipes/jams/FTF's. Any thoughts would be most welcome and appreciated. I paid $830.00 for this gun and am a little concerned.

One other thing I'd like to mention: I fired the Remington 115 gr. through my Glock 19 and it did just fine in that. What is going on here folks? Thanks!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Stupid question, and I don't mean it to be insulting if you did but you never know. Did you clean the pistol before taking it to the range?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It could be simply a problem with the ammo.

I personally don't care for Remington/UMC and won't run the ammo thru any handgun of mine. I tend to run Fiocchi 115g thru all of my 9mm handguns, and have yet to have any problem what-so-ever the cycling of the guns.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Remington UMC

The problem is not the gun but the ammo. Remington UMC is a very weak/light round and the new stiff springs on the P30 are having a hard time cycling the round. I had the very same problem with Remington UMC through my P2K when I first bought it. My Sig P226 also didn't like UMC at first. With my P30 I made sure that I shot a few hundred rounds of other types of ammo before I tried the UMC and now it eats it with no problems.

There is a few other threads on here about the P30 and the same problems with the ammo.

I used to use and purchase it all the time from ****s but once I go through the amount that I already have I dont know if I will buy it anymore. It is extremely dirty (UMC=U Must Clean) and I get much better groups with other factory ammo such as Federal AE and Speer Lawman. I have been buying online and there is not much of a price difference either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The problem is not the gun but the ammo. Remington UMC is a very weak/light round and the new stiff springs on the P30 are having a hard time cycling the round. I had the very same problem with Remington UMC through my P2K when I first bought it. My Sig P226 also didn't like UMC at first. With my P30 I made sure that I shot a few hundred rounds of other types of ammo before I tried the UMC and now it eats it with no problems.

There is a few other threads on here about the P30 and the same problems with the ammo.

I used to use and purchase it all the time from ****s but once I go through the amount that I already have I dont know if I will buy it anymore. It is extremely dirty (UMC=U Must Clean) and I get much better groups with other factory ammo such as Federal AE and Speer Lawman. I have been buying online and there is not much of a price difference either.
+1, there you go!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HK P30 issues

Thanks for the advice: Sfguard, not a stupid question at all. The gun came with quite a bit of packing grease on it. I field stripped the gun and cleaned it well. Got off all that grease, cleaned it up and oiled it well. Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts

my p2000 eats everything I feed it ,and has since the day i bought it WTF with the p30?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
After Mark71 brought it up I remembered I have a G19 that isn't very found of the stuff either. I had forgot all about it since I haven't shot it for awhile but that is true.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had purchased the Remington 9mm 115 gr. at ****'s sporting goods. The other thing I noticed shooting the Remington 115 gr. is that it extracted weakly (for lack of a better way to put it). In other words, the round would extract and barely fly out and it would extract towards the top of my head. It had this weak, kind of popping sound when fired. The first thing I thought was an extractor issue.
I doubt it's an extractor issue. More likely, it's the underpowered ammunition. I've had a similar problem with my USP and Winchester Winclean 115gr once – the gun had very little recoil and empty cases were barely getting extracted – they were flying upwards rather than to the side. It was obvious that the ammo barely had enough oomph to cycle the slide. When I switched to 147 gr, the pistol performed flawlessly.

It seems that 115 gr ammunition occasionally comes loaded too weak. In the past , I've had no trouble with 115gr Winchester, but with the latest batch, it was immediately clear that something was wrong, as the gun recoiled as if it was shooting 22's. Perhaps Remington’s 115 gr ammo is made by the same supplier.

Try different ammo and/or 124 and 147 gr loads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt it's an extractor issue. More likely, it's the underpowered ammunition. I've had a similar problem with my USP and Winchester Winclean 115gr once – the gun had very little recoil and empty cases were barely getting extracted – they were flying upwards rather than to the side. It was obvious that the ammo barely had enough oomph to cycle the slide. When I switched to 147 gr, the pistol performed flawlessly.

It seems that 115 gr ammunition occasionally comes loaded too weak. In the past , I've had no trouble with 115gr Winchester, but with the latest batch, it was immediately clear that something was wrong, as the gun recoiled as if it was shooting 22's. Perhaps Remington’s 115 gr ammo is made by the same supplier.

Try different ammo and/or 124 and 147 gr loads.

You really described this issue perfectly when you said "they were flying upwards rather than to the side. It was obvious that the ammo barely had enough oomph to cycle the slide". This was exactly, exactly my experience today. The casings flew upward toward the top of my head as if they were almost too week to leave the gun...and in many cases they were too weak with all the stove-pipes I had today. The Winchester 115gr you talked about though functioned perfectly and had a much stronger, sharper sound with no functioning issues at all. I guess at the end of the day, I just want to be sure this is about ammo and not an $830.00 lemon. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You really described this issue perfectly when you said "they were flying upwards rather than to the side. It was obvious that the ammo barely had enough oomph to cycle the slide". This was exactly, exactly my experience today. The casings flew upward toward the top of my head as if they were almost too week to leave the gun...and in many cases they were too weak with all the stove-pipes I had today. The Winchester 115gr you talked about though functioned perfectly and had a much stronger, sharper sound with no functioning issues at all. I guess at the end of the day, I just want to be sure this is about ammo and not an $830.00 lemon. Thanks.
You gun is almost certainly fine. My USP never had problems with any kind of ammo whatsoever except for that one time with underpowered Winclean. Brand name factory ammo can be crap too, and "value priced" 115 gr loadings seem to be more inconsistent than others.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just another possibility - We also use UMC from ****s and Mrs. Kenji had a similar problem with her P30 in the beginning.

We had not thoroughly cleaned the gun before going to the range (we went directly from the gun shop). This was important, but you had cleaned it already.

You have already received other good suggestions, but you might also want to check your grip. Because this is a light pistol, and the spring is new – a light grip (aka limp-wristing) might cause the gun not to cycle properly producing the results that you have seen. This would be compounded by the UMC being a little lighter load. You might just naturally have a lighter grip, and this may not have made a difference with other pistols. I am a big guy, but I use a lighter grip. I do not use the “death grip” where the tips of the fingers are turning white from the pressure.

After concentrating on her grip and tightening it up, Mrs. Kenji did not have any more problems. She does not have any problems with any of our other pistols, not even the .45s, but all of them are heavier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll have to agree with the others. Over 500rds of Blazer Aluminum through a friends in 2 days in cold weather and it didn't ever even think about malfunctioning. Mixed in were several carry loads and it just plugged away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello,

went out to the range and fired 50 rounds of 115gr Magtech HP rounds (0 degrees Celsius (water freezes), no humidity). Last round in magazine => stove pipe and or failure to keep slide locked. 10 Failures within first 50 shots :20000000:

Guess I really need to clean it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello,

went out to the range and fired 50 rounds of 115gr Magtech HP rounds (0 degrees Celsius (water freezes), no humidity). Last round in magazine => stove pipe and or failure to keep slide locked. 10 Failures within first 50 shots :20000000:

Guess I really need to clean it.
WolfEyes: I'm fairly new to HK but from what I've read you may just have weak magazine springs. Do you have access to a source for stronger ones? Wolff Springs makes a +10 that I bet cures your issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Tried out my brand new P30 at the range and it was finiky to say the least. Most definitely a beautiful handgun but I'm curious about experiences on the range from others. The gun did not like Remington 115 FMJ to say the least: there were numerous stove-pipes. I don't have any extra mags for the gun, just the two it came with. With the Remington 115 FMJ, out of 6 different run throughs, I think I only made it through a full mag without any stove-pipes once. Now, the Winchester (white box) 115 FMJ was a very different story; it did just fine without and stovepipes/jams. It fired just fine. Accuracy of the gun, when firing ok, was good.

But then, when I fired the Winchester 115 gr., the sound of the gun had a much stronger sound to it and again...absolutely no stove-pipes/jams/FTF's. Any thoughts would be most welcome and appreciated. I paid $830.00 for this gun and am a little concerned.

One other thing I'd like to mention: I fired the Remington 115 gr. through my Glock 19 and it did just fine in that. What is going on here folks? Thanks!
Were they remington UMC's I fired about 250 rounds threw the wifes usp9c last weekend and it had a few stove pipes and a few times the gun wouldnt go completey into battery it was pretty weird. I notice that every time the gun wouldnt go into battery the round that was in the chamber was like crooked in the case. I also switched to WWB and the problems went away. Maybe we should just stay away from the remington!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately, I did not have the spare mag at the range in order to test it. I think that the slide was either not pushed back hard enough or it was slowed down by the (factory) grease, since I had some failures of the slide catch, too. (No, my thumb does not reside on the catch release). However, Magtech should work with the pistol.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts