HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new P30, and will soon be getting night sights for it, as I get for all of my pistols. I'm just curious about the Heinie straight eight QWIK sights, and was wondering if anybody has used these sights and is willing to offer their opinion. I've always been a 3-dot kind of guy and don't know if I should make the switch or not. This is my HD pistol and occasional CCW. Thoughts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I saw those on HKparts.net also and was wondering the same....also - are there any 'authorized' Hk gunsmiths that can install them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The quick 8's are great -for me - much less visual clutter than three dots and very good rear notch width to front sight width ratio that creates a good balance for both fast target acquisition and accuracy. I just spent three days at Haley strategic -handgun vehicles and darkness class shooting in the dark and they worked well for that too.
I do find they shoot a like low at close range, but that might be just me getting used to things. I read others have the same impression and that they need to 'drive the front dot' at around 3-8 yards.
Your experience may be different.
They are the best for the P30 that I have found even with this possible situation. Good luck.
PS- I watch a Dawson precision you tube video on sight installation and put them on myself as shown. I am on the handy side, it took about 7 tries with hand fitting to makes sure they were right and I did not take too much off during fitting them - try were too tight as I received them, to fit on my gun. But if course, tight is a better place to start.
I used painters tape, wood in the vise, a vise, Dawson plastic tipped punch, brass rod, and a small brass gun smithing hammer and a file of course for fitting.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I just picked up my p30 from the smith today, got some mep's put on it. Just like the ones on my kimber, love em. Also picked up an x300 for it as well. Looks like I owe the wife a dinner.....

·
Registered
818 Posts
HEINE Straight 8's are the only way to go!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Question to those that have upgraded their P30 sites. Did you already have experience with the site method (3 dot vs non) you chose or no? If no how was the learning curve, if any? I've used to 3-dot method but curious if I'll adapt or turn in to a grumpy old man.

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I decided to upgrade the factory sights to night sights, I gave these a try. I had never used the straight 8 sight before, only 3 dot sights. The straight 8 is very intuitive and easy to learn. I find that sight alignment is much more natural for me. I now need to replace all of my other sights with this configuration.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The Hienies are the only good option. I don't know if I'll put them on another gun for now. The only 3-dots I like are the Trijicon HD's which are not made for HK's. I don't mean to suggest the Hienies are any slouches but for the cost and knowing I'm just going to replace them when something better comes along, it's smarter for me to just wait it out.

Just an FYI, If you have a bench vice, some files, a mallet and tape you can install them yourself. It's kind of involved but it makes no sense to send off your gun to the sight manufacturer to have sights installed. (If you're anything like me.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good Hk gunsmith that can install them?

I dont want to F-up my guns!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You don't need an "HK" gunsmith, you just need a gunsmith. There is nothing that makes HK's any harder than any other sight install.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Doesn't Trijicon make some of their standard night sights for the P30? Anyone tried those? Any good?

They look pretty much the exact same as the stock sights...but I haven't been able to determine if the rear notch and front post are the same dimensions as the stock sights.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the Heinie straight eight Qwick sites on my HK 45c, and cannot believe how accurate they shoot. I had always preferred the three dot sights prior to this on all my guns. Whenever I tried the two dot sights before, I just could never adapt to them. I have no idea why these work so well for me, but they do. I liked them so much, I have put them on my HK 45 and my two HK P30's also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Doesn't Trijicon make some of their standard night sights for the P30? Anyone tried those? Any good?

They look pretty much the exact same as the stock sights...but I haven't been able to determine if the rear notch and front post are the same dimensions as the stock sights.
Yup, I have a set of the regular trijicon NS on my P30

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You don't need an "HK" gunsmith, you just need a gunsmith. There is nothing that makes HK's any harder than any other sight install.
This.

And I highly doubt you'll screw up your gun. It's virtually the same exercise of intelligence as kindergarten tasks of putting the correctly shaped block in the hole (triangle block in the triangle hole, square block in the square hole, ect). If you can't install sights, then I highly doubt you're able to perform much of anything a normal human does day to day, like tying shoes or checking the mail box.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
This.

And I highly doubt you'll screw up your gun. It's virtually the same exercise of intelligence as kindergarten tasks of putting the correctly shaped block in the hole (triangle block in the triangle hole, square block in the square hole, ect). If you can't install sights, then I highly doubt you're able to perform much of anything a normal human does day to day, like tying shoes or checking the mail box.
Agreed, but people have different levels of finesse. If you are like a bull in a china closet, than don't attempt. If you have some good patience and an ounce of mechanical aptitude, it can be done relatively easily.

My dad said something to me when I was teenager that I will never forget. He is a hands on guy who would never pay a repair man to fix the washing machine / furnace / car / boats / etc. He said "Most people don't do these types of things themselves because they lack the courage to try, and that is a sad thing because most have the ability if they allowed themselves to learn". A very smart man indeed, and it has stuck with me. I bought a 1911 recently (my second 1911 i've ever owned) and know absolutely nothing about the platform. I wanted a new trigger and a magwell mainspring housing. Bought the parts, stripped the frame completely (I have to admit I was nervous as i've read horror stories about the 1911 being a PIA) fitted the trigger and reassembled. Went to the range the next day and the gun failed to fire. The hammer wouldn't drop all the way. I went back home that night, completely stripped the frame again and reassembled paying closer attention to the sear,disconnector, and sear spring. Got it back together and it now works good as new. I probably would have had to shell out $100 - $150 to have this done for me. It literally took me less than one hour to do while watching TV. I refuse to be held hostage by those who weren't afraid to let themselves learn and want to suck the life out of my wallet as a result. I'll spend the hour and keep the cash :)

Back on topic..........I won't buy anything else but Heinie straight eights if they are available for my gun. Anyone want to see if Richard will do a group buy run for the P2000 / sk series of pistols?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Agreed, but people have different levels of finesse. If you are like a bull in a china closet, than don't attempt. If you have some good patience and an ounce of mechanical aptitude, it can be done relatively easily.

My dad said something to me when I was teenager that I will never forget. He is a hands on guy who would never pay a repair man to fix the washing machine / furnace / car / boats / etc. He said "Most people don't do these types of things themselves because they lack the courage to try, and that is a sad thing because most have the ability if they allowed themselves to learn". A very smart man indeed, and it has stuck with me. I bought a 1911 recently (my second 1911 i've ever owned) and know absolutely nothing about the platform. I wanted a new trigger and a magwell mainspring housing. Bought the parts, stripped the frame completely (I have to admit I was nervous as i've read horror stories about the 1911 being a PIA) fitted the trigger and reassembled. Went to the range the next day and the gun failed to fire. The hammer wouldn't drop all the way. I went back home that night, completely stripped the frame again and reassembled paying closer attention to the sear,disconnector, and sear spring. Got it back together and it now works good as new. I probably would have had to shell out $100 - $150 to have this done for me. It literally took me less than one hour to do while watching TV. I refuse to be held hostage by those who weren't afraid to let themselves learn and want to suck the life out of my wallet as a result. I'll spend the hour and keep the cash :)

Back on topic..........I won't buy anything else but Heinie straight eights if they are available for my gun. Anyone want to see if Richard will do a group buy run for the P2000 / sk series of pistols?
Well said!! Some may have physical limitation's and so on but i'll leave that alone. If the sight's fit other than the P2k i would be in for a group buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My used p30l came with ns but do not glow for long like maybe 30minutes after a full charge but man they are bright. Is this normal? Im used to trijicons that seem to always glow. Is this normal or are mine shot?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Instead of challenging your mechanical aptitude, I will answer your question. On this site, there is a Certified HK Armorer named James. His Username here is "Marine0303." He is very kool guy and extremely knowledgeable about all things HK. Why don't you hit him up and get some information and then decide if you want to try it yourself or just have a pro do the job on what might be expensive weaponry. Good luck my friend...

I saw those on HKparts.net also and was wondering the same....also - are there any 'authorized' Hk gunsmiths that can install them?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts