HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get either one of these for range and home defense purposes. Cost seems to be the same. Wanted to get opinions from those of you who have owned or fired these...which would you choose and why?
Thanks.

·
HKPro Professional
732 Posts
Just to add to that, I carry a personally owned Sig P229R .357 SIG for work and I absolutely love it. It's an all around great handgun. I was going to get a USP Compact in .357 SIG, but in my opinion, the Sig balanced better than the HK. I've held and fired the P30 and it certainly lives up to the hype. Like the Sig, it's also a great handgun.

Are you looking for a 9mm or will any caliber do? The P30 is currently only available in 9mm. The Sig is available in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357 SIG. If I had to choose between the two, I'd still go with the Sig because my preference goes to the .357 SIG cartridge. In 9mm, the guns are both about the same in terms of what they have to offer. Both have 15 round magazine capacities, DA/SA triggers, decockers with no manual safety, and lifetime warranties. So I guess it would just depend on how you think the guns feel in your hands. Best thing you could do would be to handle both and if possible, shoot both.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just to add to that, I carry a personally owned Sig P229R .357 SIG for work and I absolutely love it. It's an all around great handgun. I was going to get a USP Compact in .357 SIG, but in my opinion, the Sig balanced better than the HK. I've held and fired the P30 and it certainly lives up to the hype. Like the Sig, it's also a great handgun.

Are you looking for a 9mm or will any caliber do? The P30 is currently only available in 9mm. The Sig is available in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357 SIG. If I had to choose between the two, I'd still go with the Sig because my preference goes to the .357 SIG cartridge. In 9mm, the guns are both about the same in terms of what they have to offer. Both have 15 round magazine capacities, DA/SA triggers, decockers with no manual safety, and lifetime warranties. So I guess it would just depend on how you think the guns feel in your hands. Best thing you could do would be to handle both and if possible, shoot both.
The Sig 229 has 13-round capacity in 9mm. The 226 has 15 rounds.
I agree with you regarding handling both to see what fits you best, because people are different. For me the Sig 229 is bulky, and I never liked its grip and trigger. Yes, I've owned several Sigs years ago. None now. Yes, they are reliable, but I never did like the way they feel in my hand. Then why did I get so many? You know, young, impressionable, impulse buys. The only Sig I ever regretted selling was the P225, single stack 9mm, with a very comfortable grip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kind of a dumb question to ask here IMO , it's an HK forum...more people will more than likely say p30. If you go ask the people over on sig forums they will say The 229. The only thing you can really do is go to a gun shop handle both of these yourself and see wich one feels more comfortable ...you could also goto a target range that rents weapons and possibly rent the two and see wich one you can shoot better. That would be your best bet to getting the one you really wanted/shot better with.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just handle a P30 and you will not ask this question again!
You ARE speaking the truth here, brother. At least for me it is. The ergos are very nice on the P30. HK is to be commended here.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The 229 is a fine weapon, but the ergonomics of the P30 are way out in a different league. I would get the P30.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'll echo what a few have said. Go by which feels best in your hand. That's what I di between HK and SIG. Then I bought the P30. Great gun to shoot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't own a P30 yet since I'm waiting for it to come out in .40 S&W, but out of the 34 handguns I own, the P229R-DAK is my favorite and my large-size CCW. I also own a traditional DA/SA P229. Niether have EVER had a malfunction of any kind.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes Sig makes a nice handgun and I have had several, however IMHO my P30 is better and is overall one of the best 9mm made!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually you got that right and the question is what fits your hands best! So you might like the P229 better. I daught it on the other side!
I don't even own a 229 in 9mm so I am not qualified to opine. My suspicion is that you don't own one either, because if you did, I would have hoped to see a pros & cons post instead of the typical HKPRO blind devotion.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
... My suspicion is that you don't own one either, ...
Well, to start with, I am a FFL and "see" therefore all kinds of guns, including the P30 and P229.
Then my first pistol was a P226. That was about 15 years before the P229 came out.
I bought then in 1995 the first P229 in .357SIG in Fresno.
This gun however broke and the replacement was for about 4 years my carry gun.
Today I carry the P2000 in .357SIG and when/if the P30 gets out in .357SIG, the P2000 will be replaced with it, since I like the way it feels in my hand a lot better then even the P2000.
So, not even close when you say "typical HKPRO blind devotion".

If you looking at pros & cons:
These guns are very close and the HSD would have not choosen both, if they weren't!
The P229 is havier, which in shooting is better, but for carry not as good.
The P229 has girps and grip screws can get loose and rust.
On the other side some people don't like the polymer frame, while in areas where you have cold weather, a metal frame is colder on the hand.
Then the P2000 has the rail, while you can get the P229R of cause.
Both guns are more accurate then most shooters!
The P220 series is a over 30 year old design, the P2000 is less then 10 years old, then people still love the 1911 design, which is by now more or less 100 years old!!

So, it all comes down to which fits better your hand; and that is nothing someone can tell you or decide for you, you have to decide for yourself!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Both the P30 and the P229 SCT I play with regularily shoot very similar. I think at this point it boils down to personal preference in sights, grip, and trigger as both guns shoot amazingly accurate.

The HK would be my preference only because the grip is more comfortable to me and the SIG's DA trigger mode feels much more "sloppy" to me compared to the P30. However, I do really like the sights on the P229 SCT which is night sight rears and Hi-Viz front.

Both pistols will shoot a single ragged hole with little effort. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts