HKPRO Forums banner

HK P30 Review (In Progress)

40K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  Rico. 
#1 · (Edited)
HK P30 Review (In Progress (Updated 24 Nov 07)

Hello all,

I'm not a handgun expert, just someone who has a few pistols. With the P30 being fairly new and there being some interest out there on them, I've gone ahead and taken a few pictues that may curb the appetite of those who are looking for some info on them.

INITIAL LOOK. Basically, a pictorial of the P30 and comparison with a P229 Elite in .40 S&W. The P30 hasn't been cleaned and is "as is" when taken new from the case. As you can tell I really lube up my SIG.

Initial Look:
Here it is, the HK P30, and all the stuff you get (manual and lock not shown). The manual contains info for both the P2000 and P30.

Below are the magwell pictures. The mag baseplate does not become part of the grip, like the SIG P229. The P30 baseplates seem to be made of a material better able of withstanding a drop on a hard surface than the P229 magazine baseplate. The P30 baseplate has a more "soft" feel and the plastic does not seem as hard as the P229 baseplate plastic.

Here is the loaded chamber indicator on the extractor. Also, check out the right side mag release.

The P30 is about the same size as a P229, the P229 Elite is a little longer because of the beavertail. Effectively, the P229 and P30 are the same size.

Below is a crude way of comparing the width of the grips of the P30 and P229. Medium backstrap and side panels are on the P30.

TRIGGER RESET P226 PME AND HK P30

Below, resets for my SIG P226 PME and HK P30.

Below, SA break point for my SIG P226 PME and HK P30.

Magazine comparison. The P229 is .40. You can see the front of the magazine in the first photo, in the case. The P30 mags have "Made in Germany" stamped on them.

Sight comparison. SIG P229 night sights are true night sights with radioactive glow! Note the P30 decocker button left of the hammer. I find this much easier to use than the decocker on the P229 as I must twist the P229 (thus changing the direction of the barrel) a little for my thumb to engage the decocker. I can decock the P30 and and keep the barrel pointed the same direction during the procedure.

Frontstrap comparison.

Muzzle comparison.

Ejection port comparison.

Inside the slide and barrel/recoil spring comparison.

When you disassemble the P30, the left slide stop does not come off the pistol. If you see red on the left side...don't shoot! Disassembly lever of the P229 is easier to use.

Pictures of inside the frame.

PART 2: GRIPS AND DECOCKER
The HK P30 comes with three different size backstraps and side panels (S,M,L). You can even mix up the side panels, and the configuration I decided with is the S-left, L-Right panels, and M backstrap. This feature of the pistol, where you can change the grip north, south, east, and west, will satisfy a lot of shooters who don't select a certain type of pistol because of it's "feel". A rollpin is pushed out to remove the backstrap, then the side panels. It was very easy to remove the rollpin, I used a Q-Tip with the end cut off!!

The P229s grip is good with the stock factory grips (as shown above). The P229 Elite comes with rosewood grips that are very thick. The frontstrap checkering does help with the grip of the P229 Elite compared to the non-checkered grip of the regular P229. The texture of the P30 grip seems to help prevent sliding within the hand and losing your grip better than the P229 Elite with the stock factory grips. Will verify this during the range session.

The ability to customize the grip of the P30 is definately an advantage for this pistol. The feel of the pistol is excellent right out of the box. My final selection for the grips was medium backstrap, small left panel, large right panel.

Small backstrap.

Medium backstrap.

Large backstrap.

The decocker is also very easy to use. Just flip up your thumb and press the button next to the hammer. I do not have to move/twist the pistol like I do a SIG P-229, and am able to keep the barrel pointed the same direction during the process.

RANGE REPORT #1 (24 NOV 07, Charlie Elliot Wildlife Area, Georgia):

It was about 45 degrees F and very windy. We had some good gusts there, a few people, including myself, lost the stuff off our tables. Hands got cold pretty quickly, and the cold wind teared up the eyes, so this will be the first range report of AT LEAST a total of two. I took 600 rounds to the range, but only fired 200 rounds.

FUNCTION: Ammo was Winchester white box (WWB) from Walmart. Not one malfunction occurred in 200 rounds. Also, it was nice to be able to put 15 rounds in a 15 rounds magazine without a mag loader. I was able to push 15 rounds in the magazines with just a little more effort at the end.

Below are the targets. All were fired standing, non-supported, at 12 yards. The second picture, left target is all double action. I need to shoot the pistol more to determine if I need to adjust the sights to move POI to the right a little more. Note that I do bullseye a few DA shots.

FIRING: This is hard to describe. I think the trigger pull in my SIG P226 9mm is better than the P30, but when combined with the ergonomics of the P30, the "trigger/control" of the pistol was much better than the SIG. The grip texture enables me to limit the pistol twisting as it recoils within my grip. Also, the P30s grip makes it easier for me to position the pistol in a proper hold (barrel bore axis to wrist to elbow to shoulder) with a DA trigger than the SIG P226.

RESET: However, my SIG P229 Elite, with the short reset trigger (SRT), has the advantage with rapid fire. On one rapid fire string, I pulled the trigger to fire before it reset.

SIGHTS: I was able to see the sights with no problem, but the jury is still out on whether I prefer these to the SIG night sights. In day, the P30 sights are greenish, the SIG night sights are white.(As a note: I had kept the P30 in the safe all week, so as I opened the safe, I kept the lights off. Inside, I had three sets of SIG sights glowing back at me, but the P30 sights were nowhere to be seen. Of course, this was to be expected.)

12/08/07...Just fired 500 rounds without malfunction today. Changed both sideplates to small, with medium backstrap. I liked this much better, and didn't have a problem with rounds grouping to the left. Hope to get out in the next few weeks again if the weather is good. I need some more practice with pistols.

MORE TO FOLLOW!!!!!! Next range trip...?????

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pics and writeup. I am waiting to read your range report. The P30 is going to cause your Sig to get more time in the safe. My P30 outshoots my P226 Elite :)

#6 ·
Thx for the writeup and the nice pictures.
Still, if you have a P2000 and you are happy with the grip, I don't see a reason to "upgrade".
It's like XP and Vista!

If you are in the market for a new 9mm, the P30 would be for sure the No.1 on my list!

G
#7 ·
Wonderful report. Thank you!

"I need to shoot the pistol more to determine if I need to adjust the sights to move POI to the right a little more."

I was wondering how/if the use of the large grip panel on the right side might have affected your POIU relative to POA. I'd try equal grip panels on both sides before I moved the sights...but, that would be me.

Again thanks for sharing your P30 with us.

#20 · (Edited)
The SIG P229 has a higher bore axis, the barrel is definately closer to your hand with the P30 than the P229.

Between these two pistols, IMO, the P229 has less felt recoil and muzzle rise, and it's a 40 S&W. Now, remember, this is an all stainless P229, with a beavertail and SRT. I thorougly enjoy shooting this pistol. The P30 is MUCH lighter than this pistol. Now, between my 9mm P226R with alloy frame and the P30, the P30 is much more enjoyable to shoot, less felt recoil and muzzle rise.

#18 ·
Very nice review. I just got my P30 a week ago and it's a great shooting/feeling gun. Very controllable recoil although a little snappier than I expected. But I've gotten used to heavy Sigs and recoil is almost nonexistent in those guns. However compared to my G19, it's definitely more tame. I'm definitely looking forward to putting some lead down range.

Shot great with both: WWB and Fed HST 124+p

#23 ·
What can we say, you did a great job, thanks. I just found your excellent review from the new posts search, so another thank you to those that replied after a year.

Coincidentally, I just ordered a P30 last Friday. After reading your writeup and the entire thread, I really can't wait to for my P30 to get here!

#22 ·
P30 is one of the most amazing pistols ive ever used. Bought it for my girl and then took her to the range. She made 2 inch groups at 15 feet first time out. (it was her first time firing ever). GOod teaching and a quality piece.

#25 ·
I got some about 2 weeks ago from Shooters Plus, but they are currently out of stock. They may not always have the lowest price, but are good people to deal with - great service and quick shipping on all of the orders I placed with them. They post stuff for sale on HKPRO or check out: www.shootersplus.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.