HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying that I'm a lefty, and I'm in constant search for a lefty friendly pistol. I also don't have huge hands, so many of the newer pistols with adjustable grip sizes are attractive too.

I was at the 2012 SHOT show and had the opportunity to handle the HK P30. I was very impressed with the handling of the gun, as the controls are more lefty friendly than anything I've ever handled.

I picked up a P30 V3 today and headed to the range to get started with it. I have an IDPA match on Sunday, and would love to use it for that. The first magazine went great, right on target and very comfortable. At the end of the magazine, I was surprised that the slide didn't lock back. I function checked the gun and everything seemed in order. Another magazine and the same thing, slide goes forward. Same deal with the third... OK, now I'm thinking that it's me and not the gun. My normal grip is with my thumbs facing forward and pressing against the frame for added sbability. I realize that my left thumb is pressing against the right side slide release lever and I'm applying enough pressure to send the slide forward after the last round.

After trying a couple of grip changes, I found a very comfortable grip while keeping my thumbs away from the slide release lever. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I can adjust to this.

Fired 300 rounds in about an hour. Flawless operation and amazing accuracy. Certainly the most accurate handgun I've ever had right out of the box.

Was wondering who else may have this slide issue, since the levers are on both sides of the gun?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Congrats on the gun, and congrats on realizing that it was you causing this and not the pistol. There is a recent thread in which the member posted that he modified the release lever. I only shoot USPSA, and don't know what the rules are in IDPA about external modifications (it's illegal in Production USPSA); but this might be a good idea. Also, there is an option of the short release lever (again legal or not?). However, this may prove to be an issue if you cannot reach the lever (you said you do not have large hands).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Will p30s slide levers work on p30? They are shorter right?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Will p30s slide levers work on p30? They are shorter right?
P30s and P30 are the same size. I'm pretty sure the slide levers are as well.

This is one area that I feel the P2000 and HK45c excel in, the short slide release levers. I have pretty big hands and I still like the shorter ones and also shoot the P2000 and HK45c better with a grip that's more natural to me. The P30 is a beast, I just have to learn a different grip with the long slide release levers. With that said I do understand why HK designed it like that... Not everyone had basketball palming hands in middle school. Lol.

·
Registered
559 Posts
P30s and P30 are the same size. I'm pretty sure the slide levers are as well.
They're not. P30S/P30LS have shorter slide releases; the slide release there extends to right before the first rear slide serration, while P30/P30L have slide releases that extend to the end of the second serration. The standard P30 slide releases would be right up against the safety, which I presume would be the issue. I'm pretty sure they will fit just fine on a P30, just like the P2000 levers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am also a lefty and have the same issue with my P30 and 45C. I was shooting the 45 C recently with no issues until I firmed up my grip to keep thumbs against the slide, stopped locking open on last round. I read somewhere here that you can remove the right side slide release on a 45C, may try that. But on the P30 I haven't read of any options. Interested in hearing if thee are shorter slide releases available for the P30, I won't take a dremel to mine......I'd screw it up.

Personally, I never use the slide release, always hand rack the slide.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I cut my lever with a dremel, but there are "stock" options....

The P30s levers are shorter to make room for the safety, but last I heard HK does not have them in stock to sell separately yet.

The P2000 levers also work fine, but you will loose the "captive" ability of the stock P30 lever, which just means that when you need to disassemble the gun the lever must come all the way out of the gun instead of just moving slightly out like the stock P30 lever does.

In addition to the standard P2000 levers, HK does sell some "slim" levers made for the P2000. They are more narrow in that they stick out less from the slide. These also work in the P30, but again you would need to remove the entire lever to disassemble, which really is not a big deal at all...that's they way the USPs, P2000/SK's, and HK45/c's are anyway.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This is a common issue w/ the P30(L) models, in addition to the recoil spring break-in that has annoyed so many of us until we understood what was going on.

Any thumb at all on the rear part of the release lever will probably keep the lever from engaging after firing the last round. So, one has to find a place for the main thumb. When I place my right thumb well out onto the meat of the left thumb base, the slide locks back reliably.

You can't do a 1911-type thumb placement and expect the slide to lock back, either. When I have my thumb higher on the slide, like I hold the USPs, my P30L will not lock back. It appears to be very sensitive to the slightest lateral pressure and won't lock back.

The other thing I notice about the P30L is that the slide gets hot more quickly than the USPs. I can fire 200 rds through the USPs and not have the slide too hot for a thumb. The hot slide of the P30L reminds one to keep thumbs low and pointed forward.

Despite these issues, the P30L is a delight to handle and fire. Shooting w/ it (9mm) improves my performance w/ the USPs (.45) as I shoot for a while w/ one, and then a while w/ the others. Enjoy your P30.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I took some pics to show how I hold mine. I do not have problems with slide locking back.

YMMV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also a lefty and have the same issue with my P30 and 45C. I was shooting the 45 C recently with no issues until I firmed up my grip to keep thumbs against the slide, stopped locking open on last round. I read somewhere here that you can remove the right side slide release on a 45C, may try that. But on the P30 I haven't read of any options. Interested in hearing if thee are shorter slide releases available for the P30, I won't take a dremel to mine......I'd screw it up.

Personally, I never use the slide release, always hand rack the slide.
I also always rack the slide with my right hand. Removing the right side slide release would not solve anything, in fact, that's 90% of the reason I got the P30 to begin with. Malfunction drills for us poor lefties are WAY easier with a gun that's friendly for us. Even the S&W M&P line (of which I have 3) has ambi controls for a slide stop, but it's much more difficult that the nice BIG HK ambi levers. I can see that a shorter lever may solve the issue entirely and I'll look into that. I won't cut it down myself though, I don't see that going well at all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a lefty, I have the same problem with tho p30. When I shifted my grip, my shooting got even worse. I haven't found an ideal grip yet. BTW, have you tried the Walther PPQ? It is very similar ergonomically, but the ambi levers are more "out of the way".

·
Registered
514 Posts
Same problem here except right handed. Doesn't really bother me though, I rack the slide anyway. My 1911 won't even lock back most of the time. Guess I grip things unusually high and have long thumbs...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My goodness people change your grip. It's a training issue. If you have to rest your thumb on the meaty portion between your thumb and index of the opposite hand and repeat to yourself "Thumb Thumb Thumb" for a thousand rounds and see if it gets fixed. Also don't forget about practicing your drawl from concealment and dry fire.

Train that crap right out of you.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My goodness people change your grip. It's a training issue. If you have to rest your thumb on the meaty portion between your thumb and index of the opposite hand and repeat to yourself "Thumb Thumb Thumb" for a thousand rounds and see if it gets fixed. Also don't forget about practicing your drawl from concealment and dry fire.

Train that crap right out of you.
Precisely.

·
Registered
765 Posts
At the end of the magazine, I was surprised that the slide didn't lock back. I function checked the gun and everything seemed in order. Another magazine and the same thing, slide goes forward. Same deal with the third... OK, now I'm thinking that it's me and not the gun.
You're not alone. I have a number of coworkers, both right and left handed, with the same issue on the P2000. I have experienced it, myself.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Never been a problem with my p30s but my safety will eat my thumb

·
Registered
220 Posts
I created another thread on the solution to your problem. I prefer to have as similar of a grip as possible on all of the pistols I shoot. To me, switching grips seems like an extreme solution. Changing the grip that I shoot the best with, am the most comfortable with, and have ingrained into muscle memory over the years to fix the problem for one weapon system just doesn't make sense to me. Just my .02 cents, YMMV.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I always find it interesting nobody complains about the original USP! The slide release is HUGE on it, so I'd think people would be mentioning that here as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts