HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my newly acquired HK P30 today and I really enjoyed it. I have a few questions about it.

First off, I shot today with medium straps on the grip all around. After getting back home I put large straps all around. The hump on the back almost feels too large but when its on there it keeps my trigger finger pushing the trigger down between my first and second knuckle joint instead of wrapping my finger around it and pulling back with the second portion of the finger (in between joints). So, provided this picture does it look like large size is the appropriate size for me?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/topslop1/DSC01789.jpg

Next: I am used to shooting a glock with my thumbs forward and up very high. When I shoot the P30 like this it will fail to lock back because my thumbs are riding the slide lock. I am trying to shoot with my thumbs under the slide lock but this seems not to produce the same kind of control that I am used to when shooting glocks. What is the diagnosis for this or what is a better hand position on the handgun?

Thanks guys, loving my new P30.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Regarding thumb placement:

I just grip the pistol as normal with thumbs forward, but move my strong-hand thumb slightly outward, away from the frame...and let it rest over the knuckle of my support hand thumb. This has helped me stop hitting the slide release.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regarding thumb placement:

I just grip the pistol as normal with thumbs forward, but move my strong-hand thumb slightly outward, away from the frame...and let it rest over the knuckle of my support hand thumb. This has helped me stop hitting the slide release.
Got it.. I can kind of pull inward against my support hand thumb this way as well. I like it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I find on my P2000 that I just put my thumb on the slide release in a way so that it will push up and not down. Essentially I get it below the tab on the release with the body of my thumb against the release and the tip stick out.

I know others who have had this problem have used the short slide releases available on hkparts.net. They are meant for the P30s with the safeties but will work on the regular P30 just fine.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I've recently changed what I've previously thought. Before I would automatically say go the smallest all around and I'd say, what is easier to hold onto with a fist, a hair brush or a large roll of toilet paper.

...but I've decided to change it up a little. Go with the smallest all around that you can shoot well. It's your gun so figure out the best small size that you can hold onto and shoot well. Someday, You might have to fight for that gun and being able to grip or hold onto it can matter.

I use a modified thumbs forward grip and I haven't had an issue in a while since keeping my thumb further over on my support hand.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When I picked up my P30 a little over a year ago, I too went with the mediums (that's how they come out of the box), and they just felt real good. The gun shot fine, and I did ok. 500 so rounds later, and although the mediums felt good, I was not really happy with my shots (as compared to my Sigs). The buddy that got me into HKs to begin with (has a P30 with over 40,000 competition, training, and instructing rounds through it) suggested switching to all larges. The more pronounced backstrap felt weird at first, but I quickly got used to it and do not plan to mess with the side panels or backstraps any more.

As for riding the slide, this is pretty normal from what I've read on this forum (especially coming from Glocks or 1911s). As already mentioned, just move the strong side thumb out a smidge. I shoot thumbs forward, and the meaty part of my support hand palm (just south of the thumb) actually rides the bottom of the slide release lever...no lockback issues though. I came from Sigs, and even with them really riding the slide release would cause the slide to not lock on the last round. Small adjustment, and you'll be in the clear. Congrats on the P30! Great choice!

·
Registered
437 Posts
With 3 each of back straps, left grips, and right grips, there are 27 different possible combinations! I suggest you try them all, figure out two or three different possibilities that feel right, and try them at the range. Run a minimum of one or two boxes with each grip combination to find which shoots best and feels most under control for you. I have hands on the small side, so I ended up with the small back, medium panel on the palm side, and large panel on the thumb side. This makes the grip feel very well seated in my palm, puts my trigger finger in the perfect pad position, and gives the heel of my support hand a lot of contact with the grip. I have gone back and forth with a few other combinations a few times but this is the one I keep coming back to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a man that wear's a women's medium glove size. On my P2000 I use a large backstrap because I need the palm swell otherwise I naturally point low. On the P30 I run all mediums with a large palm-swell as well.

As for hand placement I completely agree with the above posters who have thumbs forward, and I've never encountered a user error because I wrap my shooting hand's thumb over the top of the support-hand-thumb's knuckle, with the support hand trigger finger in front of the trigger guard.

I am not an instructor or formally trained, but I wanted to echo the sentiment above about strong-hand thumb placement and my personal experience regarding the palm-swell. I started with the small backstrap; moved to the medium; and after out shooting my HK's with a S&W M&P I decided it had a lot more to do with grip angle than I previously thought and now I always use the large palm-swell.

What works best for you will be different than others, but because you already said you have another brand of gun to use as reference. So you don't have to waste a lot of ammo with a lot of different grip combinations I would do one simple test that has worked for me and a few friends. Take the gun that points most naturally to you when unholstering and bringing it to firing position. Try as many grip combinations as needed until your P30 points as naturally as the other. I discovered this when with the small backstrap on my P2000 with a quick unholstering I found myself pointing low naturally, but with the M&P I was always right in the sight-line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts