HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have a similar comp and we are running into the same issues. It’s 41oz and the ports are about 4mm.
We are swapping the recoil spring right now, and if that doesn’t work we will close off the open ports.
I’ll post some pics when we get it all back together.
Hell i got some +p ill try tomoz and also let ya know

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have a similar comp and we are running into the same issues. It’s 41oz and the ports are about 4mm.
We are swapping the recoil spring right now, and if that doesn’t work we will close off the open ports.
I’ll post some pics when we get it all back together.
Also where did you get the spring?

·
Registered
594 Posts
For a spring? Really?
I'm not 100% sure, but I would be careful. For example, Wolff explicitly states that:
As a manufacturer of springs for use in firearms, W. C. Wolff Company is a registered exporter with the U.S. State Department. All of our products are subject to U.S. ITAR regulations. We fully comply with the shipping requirements and documentation requirements of ITAR and US Customs. All shipping documents will declare the actual contents of your shipment as "springs for use in firearms". They will be declared at the actual amount you have paid for the items you. We will not declare items in your order in any other way or misrepresent their value. Please see below for international order dollar value limits.
I am aware of the 100 USD exemption, but I do not know how exactly that would be applied here; there may still be additional paperwork that must be done in order to export properly, even if it doesn't totally prohibit the oversea shipping of something worth less than 100 USD. Or you might be fine because the cost of the spring is under 100 USD. But springs in them of themselves are certainly considered to be ITAR controlled, the 100 USD part merely provides an exemption under specific circumstances.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm not 100% sure, but I would be careful. For example, Wolff explicitly states that:
I am aware of the 100 USD exemption, but I do not know how exactly that would be applied here; there may still be additional paperwork that must be done in order to export properly, even if it doesn't totally prohibit the oversea shipping of something worth less than 100 USD. Or you might be fine because the cost of the spring is under 100 USD. But springs in them of themselves are certainly considered to be ITAR controlled, the 100 USD part merely provides an exemption under specific circumstances.
Ahh its all good I just got another recoil assembly I will trim the spring on that if I've no luck with +p

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's likely due to the added weight at the end of the barrel -- which impacts lock up time on the browning action style barrel. This is why suppressors use "booster assemblies" and boosters on handguns. It mitigates the added weight on the end of the barrel; allowing for the action to cycle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It's likely due to the added weight at the end of the barrel -- which impacts lock up time on the browning action style barrel. This is why suppressors use "booster assemblies" and boosters on handguns. It mitigates the added weight on the end of the barrel; allowing for the action to cycle.
Well, new recoil assembly is on the way, I will try the 115 +p this week and see how I go

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, new recoil assembly is on the way, I will try the 115 +p this week and see how I go
Hopefully that works! I'm not sure if a stronger spring will be the answer, though. Here's a quick video that shows how Nielsen/Boosters work on suppressors:

It gives a good idea as to what sort of forces you'll be trying to mitigate with the Browning action of the VP9 barrel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hopefully that works! I'm not sure if a stronger spring will be the answer, though. Here's a quick video that shows how Nielsen/Boosters work on suppressors:

It gives a good idea as to what sort of forces you'll be trying to mitigate with the Browning action of the VP9 barrel.
Im goin to make the spring weaker if the plus p is no dice

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi guys, I ran about 20 rounds of +p through it today, I had about 2-3 stove pipes, but once it heated up seemed to work just fine...So my question is, do I just need to wear the spring in more with some more +p?

either way I have a new spring on the way I may get the smith to trim, thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have added muzzle devices to a few different non HK handguns (sorry). And often find what was described. Mine have been small and light so not sure if due to weight or changing how much gas there is to function the gun. I find even in stock form I have some practice 9mm that will cycle in some guns and not others, HK's of mine tend to start liking heavier loads. As mentioned I have found a lighter recoil spring can fix those types of failures, but I realize not every gun has the same options available. I have also had issues adding red dot sights that change the physics. I think the suggestion of 124 NATO to be a very good one that might be simple (maybe not today but in theory). My personal experience has also been that 147 grain bullets even not +P are more forgiving to these types of problems, at least in my guns.

YMMV

JB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Trimmed recoil spring made the problems go away with +p.

May have to make it lighter to run non +p still.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well today is the day. The company that made me some reduced weight recoil springs delivered them yesterday, and my engineer is at the range right now with 5 of them. We have the factory one, and then 4 additional springs that go down in weight in 10% increments until we get to a 40% reduction.

Springs were the hardest part; figuring out what length, amount of coils, correct materials, and the flat style ends proved difficult to find a manufacturer that could not only make them, but only make 1 of each.

The comp itself is a reimagined version of the John Wick movie comp with some styling changes to make it more monolithic appearing, to reduce weight, and add strength. To accomplish this task we had to create a high resolution laser scan of my P30L and have that converted into a CAD assembly. We were able to match every curve, angle, and radius of the factory slide this way. We moved the ports forward so there would be plenty of material for the threaded barrel, and reduced the size of the ports from 6.5mm down to 4mm.

Here is our version.

Here are detailed pics of it. I call it the Wicked Compensator.

Top:

Back side: (note all the material we removed to lighten it)

Bottom: (I added a cutout in the 1913 picatinny for a serial number)

Side view on gun:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts