HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get myself an early christmas present, and purchased a 9mm HK P30s V3. I had rented a few guns at my local range and LOVED the HK VP9 so when I saw the P30, I just had to have it. In hindsight, I probably should have purchased a VP9 but I didn’t so... I need to figure out with issue with the P30.

Disclaimer: I’m a decent shot. I own 3 other 9mm handguns and can shoot 4” groupings at 7 yards without much variance... Unless I’m shooting my P30.

Here’s my issue:
When I’m shooting it, I can barely hit the target. Its embarrassing. I have tried switching out the grips to smalls to accommodate my smaller hands but that hasn’t really helped much.

Like i said, It’s embarrassing.

As of now, I’ve put about 300 rounds through it and I haven’t gotten much better.

The first time I took it to the range, I fired my first shot and my first thought was WHERE THE HECK DID THAT ROUND LAND? (I was using 8”x8” splatter targets) I shot 4 more rounds, and still had the same issue. The target was clean, and my husband walked up to me and asked what the heck I was shooting at. This was strange for me, because I’m generally a better shot than he is so this has been really frustrating.

I switched out my target and put up a 12”x18” target and found where it hits when I am at the center. It hits about a foot down and to the left.

I’ve found that if I aim ridiculously high, I hit center mass. I’m talking RIDICULOUSLY high. If I point and shoot, I hit center mass. If I use the 3 dot sights, it shoots so low that it doesn’t even hit the paper, let alone the target if I’m using a 8”x8”.

I’ve changed up my stance, my grip, trigger finger placement and had my husband shoot it as well. He also shoots very low with it but still does better than I do with it.

Last night, I shot 200 rounds using three different handguns, and the only one I am having this issue with is my P30. Heellllp!

Does anyone have any advice? I want to love my P30 but for some reason I just can’t shoot it accurately.

**I made a simple picture to show where I’m hitting on a 12”x18” target.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
It's very likely you and not the P30. It sounds like you would benefit from some professional instruction.
It's good to have that foundation; we all needed it at one time.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It's not the gun. Four inch groups at 7 yards indicate it's the archer. Have to use sight picture 3, cover hold, and sounds like need some trigger time.

Reactions: POLY9

·
Registered
566 Posts
I honestly use the center mass hold on every pistol, ever, including my HK's. According to what I've read on the site here, I think that means I should be hitting low, but that's just not the case. The 6:00 hold doesn't make any sense to me at all.

And OP, yes, I'm afraid it's probably down to trigger control. I was a terrible shot when I started with a pistol 7+ years ago. Thousands upon thousands of rounds later, I can shoot any pistol with a fairly high proficiency. Good trigger control will give you one inch groups at seven yards, with any pistol. The P30 sounds like it's just harder for you to shoot than other ones you've tried. You might find that a different one (VP9, for example) might just be easier for you at this point in time.

Shooting proficiency is a journey - best of luck to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Use double action and see if theres a difference. After shooting a couple of my other pistols more I developed a flinch when shooting my USP. First 3 shots were perfect. next 3 shots the group expanded, the next 4 were low on the target. In DA I could see the flinch and I could work through it. Its something you'll have to overcome but its better to recognize it now than to have it become habit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I were to guess, and this is only a guess and I might be wrong, but I would guess you are used to shooting striker fired pistols GLOCK, M&P, Walther etc. All have fairly short trigger pulls vs a DA/SA gun. My guess is during the trigger pull you are yanking the gun down and left unconsciously. Right handed shooter, correct? Combine this with HKs ride the dot or cover the target sight picture and yea I totally see exactly what you posted. Been there done that, hell most of have at some point.

Try this. Put a dime on the front sight and dry fire the trigger. How much does the gun move? Did the dime fall off? If so it’s probably you combined with a new and fairly mediocre double action.

Not all that being said it could be you have a crap gun, but I would have some folks more experienced with DA/SA guns to give it a try or shoot from a rest first.

If it is not the gun don’t get discouraged and know that if you put the time and effort in to learn a heavy DA/SA you will shoot everything better.

Good luck.
Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ohh and nothing embarrassing about it at all. Guns are like manual transmissions they are all a little different and all take practice to figure that particular one out. There is art to it. Hell I cannot shoot a Beretta Tomcat at All and I may or may not have stalled a Porsche once in traffic learning the clutch on that car. It’s just part of the art. :)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You are likely right handed. You are also anticipating and compensating for recoil. Have someone load your mags with random snap caps out of your sight. You'll see what you are doing wrong on the first snap cap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are likely right handed. You are also anticipating and compensating for recoil. Have someone load your mags with random snap caps out of your sight. You'll see what you are doing wrong on the first snap cap.
This is great advice. It will be very easy to determine if you are breaking your wrists downward as you pull the trigger. Try having a very experienced shooter shoot your gun. If he or she is having the same problem, and you are not moving the gun before the bullet leaves the barrel, call HK customer service.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
The p30 is a remarkably accurate pistol. However, it's not got the best trigger in the world, which can make it difficult to be accurate with for some people. Lots of good advice here, so I would just add to have someone else shoot it, confirm the sights are right, then practice. Does your p30 have the luminescent sights or night sights? I have heard that the night sights are sometimes not zeroed after installation. Good luck!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have been there myself. The P30 is especially unforgiving when it comes to trigger discipline. Give it some time and training to learn it. Once you do. it will make you better on every other pistol once you get it down. Then you will be in this position posting the same thing to another new P30 shooter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the P30LV3 a couple months after I got my VP9 and love both! If you go by a training target you are slapping/jerking the trigger. This is very common. You're more than likely anticipating shots as well. This is also very common. Shooting is very mental. Practicing correctly (with assistance, if needed) saves time and does not waste ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies and help! I went to the range, determined to figure out what I’m doing wrong, and I’m definitely the issue.
I decided to try a few things. Shooting with my left hand as the dominant hand (that was weird) and then decided to try shooting while using the table In the lane.

While shooting from the lower angle, I Was finally hitting center target!

After that, I changed up my stance and leaned forward\lower than I normally do and I was actually hitting the target where I meant to.

I think my issue has been that I stand funny while shooting. I think the other guns I own have been more forgiving with my weird stance but not this one. It seems to truly require an aggressive, forward leaning stance where I naturally stand tall with my right leg back to brace for impact.

Seriously, thank you all for tour advice! I look forward to seeing how I progress after hopefully solving my issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts