HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a better sight picture on my P30SK. The luminova sights are challenging to use in low light (not dark) unless you are constantly charging them. I have 51 year old eyes and wear bifocals. I am looking for the brightest possible sights. I just tried a set of Truglo TFX's, and while they are nice in bright conditions or total darkness, they really fall short in low light conditions. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
I would suggest Trijicon HD sights, either Yellow or Orange. I have many came to me for Yellow. Keep in mind that since these sights are a little taller than your stock sights, your POI/POA will change accordingly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would suggest Trijicon HD sights, either Yellow or Orange. I have many came to me for Yellow. Keep in mind that since these sights are a little taller than your stock sights, your POI/POA will change accordingly.
What he said...I put the HD orange on P2Ksk recently and put some pics up on the forum. It should give you a good idea of what the orange ones will look like on a similar sized gun.

Edit: I chose orange over the yellow because the yellow was washing out in bright sunlight. The orange washed out a little too, just not as bad.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just ordered the Truglo TFX tritium/fiber optic sights for my P30sk. I'll give a report when they arrive.....

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
My P30SK is a LE version.
It comes with Meprolite three dot Night Sights.
I really like them a lot.

Barth

·
Registered
206 Posts
out of curiosity how much fitting do the trijicon hd's typically need on the ones you install?
i put some on my 45c with hammer and punch and they werent too bad

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
out of curiosity how much fitting do the trijicon hd's typically need on the ones you install?
i put some on my 45c with hammer and punch and they werent too bad
A few passes of a small triangular, fine file for the front and rear was all it took. Not too bad.

I have ordered my first set of Trijicon HD's - once installed is the "hold" the same as the stock sights on the HK's ... Front Dot right ON the target?
No. It would be 2 to 3 inches lower at 7 yds. YMMV.

·
Registered
268 Posts
No. It would be 2 to 3 inches lower at 7 yds. YMMV.
Thank you TooSixy.

My HD's just arrived. Wow, I'm totally bummed out that the hold is different on these. I really have gotten used to and like (very much) the original hold on the HK's.

I would have not ordered the HD's if I had known this about them... I also really did want to have a consistent POA/POI across my HK's, especially because they are my carry pistols.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you TooSixy.

My HD's just arrived. Wow, I'm totally bummed out that the hold is different on these. I really have gotten used to and like (very much) the original hold on the HK's.

I would have not ordered the HD's if I had known this about them... I also really did want to have a consistent POA/POI across my HK's, especially because they are my carry pistols.
As TooSixy said, there's a possibility of some variation. I had HD's put on my P30SK, but I have another one with the HK factory night sights one serial number apart. I don't know if the gunsmith worked on it and sighted it in (I'll have to ask him next time I see him), but at 3/5/7 yards, I don't feel there's a discernible difference in POI alternating between the two, and I'm getting, on average, 2 inch groups. For a carry gun, or typical home defense, at the usual encounter distances, a couple of inches in vertical POI isn't going to be of much consequence. Honestly, if you take the time to determine your natural POA and do a lot of dry fire practice, you can get acceptable defensive accuracy easily from 15 feet in, and 21 feet isn't that much harder to do with the SK. Out of a dozen compacts and subcompacts I tried before settling on the P30SK, it was easily the most accurate "pointer." The bigger issue for me is the spread when using a flash sight picture due to the wide rear aperture on the HD's. Acquisition is very fast (why I got them), but at the lateral extremes, the spread is unacceptable at 7 yards.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As TooSixy said, there's a possibility of some variation. I had HD's put on my P30SK, but I have another one with the HK factory night sights one serial number apart. I don't know if the gunsmith worked on it and sighted it in (I'll have to ask him next time I see him), but at 3/5/7 yards, I don't feel there's a discernible difference in POI alternating between the two, and I'm getting, on average, 2 inch groups. For a carry gun, or typical home defense, at the usual encounter distances, a couple of inches in vertical POI isn't going to be of much consequence. Honestly, if you take the time to determine your natural POA and do a lot of dry fire practice, you can get acceptable defensive accuracy easily from 15 feet in, and 21 feet isn't that much harder to do with the SK. Out of a dozen compacts and subcompacts I tried before settling on the P30SK, it was easily the most accurate "pointer." The bigger issue for me is the spread when using a flash sight picture due to the wide rear aperture on the HD's. Acquisition is very fast (why I got them), but at the lateral extremes, the spread is unacceptable at 7 yards.
Very useful information, thanks ColCasey.

Since the HD's already here, I'm going to be fitting them on my USPC to try them out and will see where that takes me.

I have the USPC and HK45C both registered as my CCW pistols, they are exactly the same trigger configurations (LEM with Safety) and also the same Sights (Meprolights). I'm hoping once I install the trijicon HD's it will not be too different. Otherwise, I can either sell them, or if I really do like them, buy another set for my 45C so then they be matching once again.

PS - as a side note, I would otherwise already be an owner of a P30SK, but since I am in North Korea, oops I mean California, I am therefore disallowed to purchase a new one, unless I am Law Enforcement. We peasants are allowed to purchase the P30SK (and other "non-approved, unsafe" weapons) on the used market, but the cheapest I have seen for P30SKS/LEM, which is what I need, is $1,500!! No thanks I will keep my USPC.

·
Registered
268 Posts
^^^ You can't put P30SK sights on your USPc, if that's what you are saying. The dovetails are different.
Good info. However, I added to my post to indicate that I can't/not permitted/disallowed/prohibited/banned from purchasing a new P30SK out here in N. Korea/California. Yes, one day I will move out of here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello All. I'd like to revive this thread with a question of true usefulness of factory night sights versus the factory standard luminescent sights.

I've found a couple of online dealers with the KS version. I've been waiting for the KSLE version to become available but the more I read about the night sights the less I'm convinced that I need/want them. If any members have done a one to one comparison and would like to provide their thoughts, please do. I'll continue reading the forum threads with night sight topics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello All. I'd like to revive this thread with a question of true usefulness of factory night sights versus the factory standard luminescent sights.

I've found a couple of online dealers with the KS version. I've been waiting for the KSLE version to become available but the more I read about the night sights the less I'm convinced that I need/want them. If any members have done a one to one comparison and would like to provide their thoughts, please do. I'll continue reading the forum threads with night sight topics.

Thanks.
Please ignore the above. I found a P30SK KSLE and ordered it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What is a KS or KSLE version?

You either have a SK or SKS (LE or non-LE) but a KS?
Those letters represent the different variations of this gun.
K=decocker
S=manual safety
LE=night sights

I think that's what the letters represent. I found that info in the product description on HK's site.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts