HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting some comments from guys that made YouTube videos on their HK P7s saying they've had internal parts break on them.
Has this been your experience?
Should I have certain replacement parts on hand before too much time passes and they may no longer be available?
If so, which parts do you suggest?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Drop safety spring... that's the p7's weak spot. they're pretty cheap though and not hard to find. in fact, the idea that any gun parts are "hard to find" is kind of ridiculous. with the exception of an apocalyptic scenario, you can find everything online.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drop safety spring... that's the p7's weak spot. they're pretty cheap though and not hard to find. in fact, the idea that any gun parts are "hard to find" is kind of ridiculous. with the exception of an apocalyptic scenario, you can find everything online.
Being that the P7 is no longer being made, I presume that applies to parts too. Eventually, they'll be gone. I think i get your point though...mabe not till 2057.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Unfortunately sometimes when the drop safety spring breaks, the drop safety catch is loose and can jam up the gun or be lost.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Yep, bigdave24, it happened to me. I cleaned a little too aggressively with a nylon brush and didn't notice it popped out. It's not easy to get back in place either, at least for me. Tried to operate the gun before putting it away. Live and learn.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, bigdave24, it happened to me. I cleaned a little too aggressively with a nylon brush and didn't notice it popped out. It's not easy to get back in place either, at least for me. Tried to operate the gun before putting it away. Live and learn.
I haven't removed the grip panels and cleaned the internals yet...so thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
253 Posts
Watch out for transmission levers when buying or looking at buying a refinished gun. Have yet to put my finger on what causes it, but very often they will snap after a few hundred rounds. Stock guns almost never break them.
Other than that make sure the sear lever spring hasn't been mangled up by someone.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
In the past I have broken hard parts in my P7M8. Blew up a sear lever and a firing pin bushing.

These types of breakages are rare, but they do occur. All you realistically need to keep on hand is a few springs (Drop Safety Spring, Trigger Spring, Extractor Spring, Firing Pin Spring, Firing Pin Rebound Spring, Sear Lever Spring, and Recoil Spring) . When you start wishing to warehouse hard parts, the price of them quickly adds up. It then almost makes more sense to just own a second P7.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the past I have broken hard parts in my P7M8. Blew up a sear lever and a firing pin bushing.

These types of breakages are rare, but they do occur. All you realistically need to keep on hand is a few springs (Drop Safety Spring, Trigger Spring, Extractor Spring, Firing Pin Spring, Firing Pin Rebound Spring, Sear Lever Spring, and Recoil Spring) . When you start wishing to warehouse hard parts, the price of them quickly adds up. It then almost makes more sense to just own a second P7.
Very helpful....thank you sir.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great to know this. Thanks for starting the thread, RogerUSP

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had two firing pin bushings break on my P7M8 within a few thousand rounds. Mine didn't break in the same section as the one above though, mine both broke in the thin section that the striker rests on when the firing pin bushing is taken out of the slide with the striker attached.

The first time it happened, I noticed it while cleaing, and I saw that this area had a crack in it so I ordered a new one. The second time it happened, the piece broke off while it was still in the slide, and I couldn't get the squeeze cocker to go more than halfway to the rear, stopping the pistol from functioning. I had to shake the pistol, squeeze the cocker, and try to turn the rear of the bushing to finally get it free.

From my own personal experience, I would consider this the weak point of the P7 design. Both times I paid about $100 for it. I traded my P7M8 soon after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
own experience part breaking

I've been getting some comments from guys that made YouTube videos on their HK P7s saying they've had internal parts break on them.
Has this been your experience?
Should I have certain replacement parts on hand before too much time passes and they may no longer be available?
If so, which parts do you suggest?
I purchased a p7 m13 that was formerly law inforcement's. I have no idea of how many rounds were fired or how old the pistol is other then made <1989 but my transmission lever sear has snapped clean.
I am waiting for availability of the part and have ordered 2 from my gunsmith to keep a spare; I intend to have one machined out of inconel to avoid such mishap in the future.
I would be interested in any personal experience on other parts breaking to stock up.
Thank you all.
ChK

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have yet to have anything break on either my P7PSP, or my P7M8. Then again I don't fire my P7s as often as many other owners do. I also tend not to rapid fire the pistols. Heat might contribute to hard parts failure when the gun is used in rapid fire. Just a guess. Owning spare springs for any pistol isn't a bad idea though and that goes for HKs other than the P7 as well. JMHO

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts

Solid list H&K4Life. If you have an P7M8 a spare mag spring or two is also a good idea, especially if you shoot a lot of +P, +P+ or 147 grain.
The firing pin collar and small pin there are two cheap ones to buy as well as they can get easily "launched" when assembling the firing pin assembly.
G3Kurz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts