HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I don’t know a whole lot about the HK P7 PSP pistols. I just aquired a hard-chromed H&K P7 in a trade. My first P7 ever. Only have owned a HK USP prior to this gun. Like I said I admit I don’t know much about the P7 guns. Here is what I know about this gun. The guy I got it from (who is a friend of mine) said he bought it off a guy who had to part with a few guns due to some unfortunate situation or something. My buddy also didn’t know anything about the P7 but thought looked neat so he bought it. Anyway he said it had about 200 rounds thru it. I am assuming the hard chrome was not the way it came. I think there were some nickel ones? The finish is however excellent. I am no expert but it looks to be in fantastic shape. I did ask if it was refinished to cover blemishes or major wear, etc. I was told that was definitely not the case.

Now I don’t see any import markings. Possibly covered up by the hard-chrome when it was done? Here are the pics of the markings. Can you guys shed any light on this for me?

It came with 3 mags, box, manual which is in German, tools. I have no idea what its worth since it was hard-chromed.

I am looking for a good resource for a nice leather holster and a place to buy extra mags.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
It is most definitely an after market HC job. I had my P7 done in HC also by Fords. It was probably done because most of these P7s came in with a German department mark that was struck through and looks like crap. I had my slide milled to remove the struck through mark, then re-engraved and hard chromed.
It looks a lot like yours. Even though it is hard chromed you should be able to see the importation mark if you look closely. It will be under the slide right above the trigger on the left side. Most likely a PW ARMS import.
Most of these P7s were carried a lot and shot a little. Mine had moderate holster wear and grip dings, so it needed refinishing anyway. Getting rid of the struck through BMI mark was a bonus as far as I am concerned.
For more info on the P7 series of pistols check out this site.
Value, IMO about $800 depending on buyer. The P7s can be had in almost like new condition for about $700 so one that has had the department mark removed and finished in a very desirable finish like HC may be worth a little more than a stock like new one. After all, even if like new they are still used P7s over 20 years old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Bore thanks for that info! I am hoping the 3 mags that came with it are a good indication of what condition the P7 was in.....they look new. I just thought this would make a great carry gun. Will I ever have to change that piston out? If so how the heck would a person get one? I did order some spare recoil springs from Wolff to have on hand.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The pistons are expensive, about $80 IIRC, but they are not hard to find and I doubt you will ever have to replace it anyway. I think HK has them or will have them in stock shortly. Keep the piston and piston cylinder clean and they will last a very long time. The one I have has the first two rings on the piston dulled (the sharper they are the less they have been shot or neglected) and it functions perfectly, but the piston and cylinder needs to be kept clean.
FYI, to remove the firing pin you need to use that tool to do so. It is not much trouble but you can replace the firing pin bushing with one from the P7-M8 and you do not need the tool to remove the bushing any more. Bad part is the bushing is about $70 and would need to be HCed to match your pistol. I got one for mine but found that with it in the pistol the pistol would no longer fit in the box. Damnit man!
Since I am not using it I will eventually get around to sending it to Fords to be HCed so it will match the pistol, then I guess I will have to keep the pistol in something other than its box. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I dont understand the removal of the firing pin. How often does that need to be done? And when I do I will need to get a new bushing?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You don't NEED a new bushing. Only thing is the P7M8 bushing makes removal easier and no tool is needed. The bushing is really sort of a firing pin housing and it will never actually need replacement. I did not mean to cause concern.

To remove the firing pin for cleaning on the P7 you take that two-pronged tool and while squeezing the cocker slightly, push in on the bushing and turn the firing pin bushing about 90 degrees to the right. When the cocker is in the right position and you have pushed in the bushing far enough it turns very easily. You then squeezed the cocker all the way and it will push out the firing pin and bushing.
With the P7M8 bushing you do the same thing but you can use your thumb to push in and turn.
Problem is with the P7M8 bushing, since it sticks out about 1/8 inch, you cannot put the pistol back in the P7 case and for looks you may want the bushing HCed like the rest of the pistol, or you might like the two-tone look at the rear.

This is one of those things that likely does not need to be cleaned very often but it is so freaking easy to remove, take apart, and clean that I do it every time I have shot it. Even with the standard P7 bushing it is no big deal to take it out, just keep track of that tool!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sweet PSP, they look great wearing hard chrome

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comment all! Bore Brush...thanks for all the good info!!!

well I found a guy sell a grade "C " P7 PSP locally for $530. I wonder if thats worth it then sending it off to get HC by Tripp?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Don't know I guess that depends on you but yours certainly looks nice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the topic of finishes....I have never had a gun that was hard chrome. Is it pretty durable?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts