HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I only wish I could find an affordable P7 M13, then I would have a most excellent 9mm carry gun ever made. IMHO
What do you consider "affordable"? I bought two of them several months ago for $1400 and $1450. The $1450 one could have passed for new in box, the $1400 only had bluing wear on the sharp edges of the slide and the backstrap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here are TWO reasons not on the Pro's of owning a P7 list P7GURU Oh I mean Greg put together;)..
#1Get a really affordable PSP from cdnn investments still under $700 for a top of the line grade A....
#2 Get it hard chromed by Virgil Tripp from Tripp Research .....

On Top of That here is the flip side.......

"THE Con's of the P7

1. The gun gets uncomfortably hot after 60 (or so) rapid shots. More of a training problem than a "real world" consideration.

2. Finish lacks durability. Blued finish wears quickly and is very little protection against corrosion.

3. Very expensive. At over $1000, this gun is out of the range of many buyers.

4. The gun's design is such that it gets dirty quickly when shot.

5. The gun malfunctions when not maintained properly. While this is true of all guns, the P7 seems to be more sensitive than most modern autos. The solution is to keep the gas cylinder clean.

6. The P7's cocking lever emits a click when released. This is more of an issue with SEAL wannabes than real people. The theory is that the noise will alert the bad guys to your presence. Easily overcome with technique anyway (press in cocking latch at top of cocking lever while releasing your grip). With this technique the gun is almost silent and certainly quieter than any SIG or USP with decocking lever.

7. Low capacity. Except in now unavailable M13 (LEO only) and M10 (discontinued for ugliness), capacity is limited to 9 rounds (with one in chamber).

8. Grip screws come loose too easily. Use lock-tite.

9. Can't use lead bullets (see cleanliness issues above).

10. Slide lock button too small for some.

11. Magazine release on M8/M13 too sensitive to careless holstering (accidental magazine ejection). PSP model doesn't suffer from this (Euro-magazine catch).

12. During an emergency a user might accidentally squeeze the trigger while squeezing the cocking lever. I personally think this isn't a problem. The P7 was designed with a fair amount of take-up in the trigger so the gun is tolerant of some sloppiness. The moral of the story is to keep you finger off the trigger until you are ready to kill something. It should also be noted that your trigger finger is relatively independent of your other fingers. I can't remember the physiological term, but the other three fingers usually act in unison while the index finger is only partially connected. Still, in an emergency anything is possible--practice proper form with all firearms!

13. For some, seriously ham-fisted users, the gun might be accidentally disassembled if the take down button is inadvertently pressed while the slide is being racked. This is extremely unlikely, however, it can be done with practice.

14. Disassembly not for mere mortals. A "detail strip"
can involve a lot of head/heart ache. The gun has a fair number of parts but the real problem is the gun's unorthodox design [Expert reassembly tip, use grease to hold in the mag release spring--otherwise you will go mad trying to hold everything together while attempting to drive in the assembly pin]. An armorer at HK told me that they regularly have to reassemble guns for owners who let curiosity get the better of them. Fortunately, there is really no reason to strip it down beyond a "field strip." Just spray in some gun oil and wipe.

15. Possible difficulty depressing cocking lever with weak or injured hands. My father has weakness in his right hand related to a stroke he had a few years ago. For a while he was unable to cock my M8. On the other hand, once the lever is squeezed it only takes about a pound and a half to keep it cocked."
-From P7GURU at Park Cities Tactical Cult of the P7

·
Registered
8 Posts
So some of you guys actually carry and shoot this thing? I assumed you all keep them as safe queens. I'm gonna start looking into one.
I carry mine, although I usually carry either a 1911 or Browning HiPower.
There are times when I need something just a little smaller and that's where I think the P7 shines. It's enough smaller to make a difference, but still big enough to be easy to shoot well.
In fact, I shoot it as well or better than the 1911 or HiPowers that I carry and shoot much more often.

However, I don't consider it a "compromise gun" that I ONLY use when I can't carry something else. I have one on right now, even though I could be carrying any of my 1911s or HiPowers.
It's the only compact 9mm that I've been able to shoot well enough that I'll carry when I don't have to.

Mostly, I use either a Sparks Summer Special or Blade Tech Kydex holster (both IWB). I prefer IWB, but the P7 is handy enough that I'll carry it on the belt sometimes. I use an Alessi CQC/S for that- my favorite belt holster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In addition to everything Greg Bell listed, they're not only "a real hoot to shoot" but also very easy on the eyes -- especially after Virgil Tripp gets through with one and Karl Nill provides some walnut Rhomlas grips to complete the package. :cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the response on the holsters. Now I have to decide whether to get a PSP or M8. Seems there are advantages and disadvantages to both models. The PSPs are a little less expensive tho...

hmmm help me make up my mind! :20000000:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got one of each, but have only had the PSP a couple of months (one of the surplus guns).
I'm probably biased to the one I'm used to, but I like the M8 better.

For most of the 20 years I wanted, but did not have, a P7 I picked the brains of owners. Most of them said they preferred the PSP, and after hearing that enough times, I decided that's what I had to have.

Of course, PSPs seemed pretty scarce then. I passed over a few P7M8s because I just HAD to have a PSP.

Finally, I "settled" for an M8.
I wish I had settled sooner.

It made me wonder about some of the negatives I kept hearing about the P7s, like how fast they get hot. It took about 50 rounds to get my M8 hot, and then I had to actually touch the gas cylinder area to notice (why would I do that?). I would guess that 90% of P7 owners don't own enough magazines to put that many rounds through theirs without a break, so I put it down as an exaggeration.
Then I got the PSP and shot it, and felt the heat fairly quick.
I still don't think it's such a terrible thing in a carry gun, as I can't imagine burning through enough rounds in a fight to be afffected by it, but it IS more noticeable with the PSP.

After I had my M8 a while, I checked with a friend and PSP fan and asked precisely why he thought it was better. After being pinned down, he basically said it was because he carried them without a holster by just tucking it in his waistband, and the M8's mag release was too easily tripped.
OK. So sell your Porsche or motorhome and buy a holster.

I think the M8 is more "shootable" because I'm not bothered by the heating.
Also-
The firing pin is easier to remove (it's handy to be able to deactivate the gun sometimes).
The mag changes are quicker/easier (although a tactical reload is about the same).
Right now mags are fairly easy to get for either, but it seems to me like M8 mags have been just a little more plentiful in the past.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: P7 PSP vs. P7M8

I decided on the PSP for these reasons:
-great price recently due to German police guns being imported, much less than M8
-flush heel mag release less likely to accidentally be pressed during concealed carry; this is much more of a concern for me for CCW than a small difference in reload speed

Something I came across later:
-these older (80's) guns are well-made; there is some discussion about the newer P7 specimens being not quite as well-made (still high quality, don't get me wrong)

Your timing for getting a P7 of any type is good as PSP availability seems to be driving M8 prices down! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but is there an authoritative response from H&K regarding production of the P7? I know that they've *said* there are no plans to import more to the US, however are they still being produced for other int'l markets or contracts?

This just can't be the end for this platform, can it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Picture

:61:
And one more thing. Because on the "coolness" factor rating of 1 to 100, the HK P7 is 110.

You are one great photographer,that is an incredible picture.I've never shot one or held one but this forum is full of very smart gun guy's.Seems that 99% seem this is a special gun so I'm just going to get one,I just got a new catalouge from CDNN $600 VG to EX or $675 EX to Like New is the $675 worth it.Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just got mine. Grade B with very little wear for $540 OTD :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I posted this on the cult:

Old Conventional Wisdom: Flood of Police P7 PSPs will drive down the price of M8s.

NEW Conventional Wisdom: Flood of cheap P7 PSPs is like a loss-leader, drawing in and hooking the fence-sitters. Once they own a real P7, they realize this is the best personal defense/concealed carry pistol ever designed. They are compelled to buy more, and drive UP the cost of M8s.

Fact is, 15 year old M8s are selling for nearly 500 dollars more than what we paid for them in the 90s. View this video, and ask yourself why anyone would buy anything else for personal defense:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6239098748148707308

21 - 34 of 34 Posts